So I like the Face ID tech that is in the iPhone X. I will probably get the phone in like February as I have to get a car in November.

One thing that has me worried is sunglasses. According to Apple, it wont work if your eyes are closed. I have to wear sunglasses as at peak afternoon my eyes dont do well outside and i squint a lot. Does the scanner go through sunglasses or can you disable a setting to allow for sunglasses to work?
    09-12-2017 10:26 PM
    It initially recognizes your "naked" face and then adapts to you as you change. I'm curious about the sunglasses too. They showed a woman going through drastic wardrobe change and hair cuts etc and at one point she was wearing a hefty pair of glasses and they claimed it would recognize her...I don't see why sunglasses would be any different if Face ID is supposed to map your face.

Here's the Face ID clip from the Keynote:

09-12-2017 10:31 PM
    It initially recognizes your "naked" face and then adapts to you as you change. I'm curious about the sunglasses too. They showed a woman going through drastic wardrobe change and hair cuts etc and at one point she was wearing a hefty pair of glasses and they claimed it would recognize her...I don't see why sunglasses would be any different if Face ID is supposed to map your face.

Here's the Face ID clip from the Keynote:

Sunglasses are different because you usually can’t see the user’s eyes behind them. They made a big deal that your eyes had to be open in order to authenticate using Face ID. While I would like for it to work with sunglasses it’s not looking good.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-12-2017 10:36 PM
    Sunglasses are different because you usually can’t see the user’s eyes behind them. They made a big deal that your eyes had to be open in order to authenticate using Face ID. While I would like for it to work with sunglasses it’s not looking good.
    I'm super curious now. That woman in the demonstration had hefty dang glasses on.

Otherwise it might be that a pin would be more prudent in this situation when Face ID is a no-go
    09-12-2017 10:38 PM
    I'm super curious now. That woman in the demonstration had hefty dang glasses on.

Otherwise it might be that a pin would be more prudent in this situation when Face ID is a no-go
    Yeah i saw the video. Thats why I am curious. I dont mind using the pin, it wont be a deal breaker for me. Next year around this time I am going Hawaii and obviously I will probably be wearing sunglasses a lot outside.
    09-12-2017 10:43 PM
    Yeah i saw the video. Thats why I am curious. I dont mind using the pin, it wont be a deal breaker for me. Next year around this time I am going Hawaii and obviously I will probably be wearing sunglasses a lot outside.
    Everyone wears sunglasses. It'd be such an inconvenience to blind myself to get my darn phone to unlock. This is why I lose sleep at night
    09-12-2017 10:47 PM
    Ugh I should have checked Rene's twitter before checking. Hopefully We can get some clarification on this. It seems we can disable "Attention" mode which means your eyes dont need to come into play.

https://twitter.com/reneritchie/stat...06182839578624
    09-12-2017 11:03 PM
    I’m sure it will work with anything.. unless you have your face fully covered up.
    09-13-2017 01:31 AM
    Does anyone actually know if face I'd will work with sunglasses? That will be a deal breaker for me if it does not.
    09-13-2017 07:55 PM
    It looks like Face ID uses a combination of the DOT projector and infrared camera which allows it to work in the dark. I think the same would be true for sunglasses unless the lenses blocked the infrared band used by Apple's camera.
    09-14-2017 10:59 AM