Solid demo on face ID..... Not

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the whole point of that ‘fail’ was to subtly point out that it’s not without its hiccups.

IMHO it was just their version of a disclaimer to expect some difficulties with Face ID.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Well now we know it..., Face-ID was only a plan "B" cause plan "A" (Touch-id) would not work through full screen oled...

Let face it, it would have been spectacular if Touch-id had work with that iPhone-X !!!

And sorry but Face-id seems slow...

So I’m ordering an iPhone 8 64GB space grey !

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Well now we know it..., Face-ID was only a plan "B" cause plan "A" (Touch-id) would not work through full screen oled...

Let face it, it would have been spectacular if Touch-id had work with that iPhone-X !!!

And sorry but Face-id seems slow...

So I’m ordering an iPhone 8 64GB space grey !

Face ID being plan B is definitely true. I think that was pretty obvious even before the keynote.

mobilem1

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
If Steve Jobs had been observing this demo he would have gone nuts and most definitely would have considered it a fail. Oh and several people would have probably been fired afterwards. Apple really has softened a little under the new leadership. Not that this is a bad thing.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I didn’t find anything wrong with the FaceiD presentation. Is it foolproof? Absolutely not, but what is?

Yes but with it replacing touchID (which was fool proof) it makes it even more critical the replacement be the same. Yes I understand they can tweak it, just don't think it will be as fast or reliable as touchID

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Face ID didn't fail. It worked as its supposed to. On the keypad screen, it said, "Your Password is required to enable Face ID". That's what shows when it's been 48 hours since the last opening. Or when there's been 6 unsuccessful tries.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes but with it replacing touchID (which was fool proof) it makes it even more critical the replacement be the same. Yes I understand they can tweak it, just don't think it will be as fast or reliable as touchID

I understand.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Embarrassing? Certainly.

A fail for the device function? Unlikely. I believe it was simply a matter of the demo device not being prepared properly for the presentation. (Heads may roll...)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Embarrassing? Certainly.

A fail for the device function? Unlikely. I believe it was simply a matter of the demo device not being prepared properly for the presentation. (Heads may roll...)

I don't think that phone had been used in 48 hours, thus the keypad showed. Same with Touch ID.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that phone had been used in 48 hours, thus the keypad showed. Same with Touch ID.

That's not being properly prepared. Obviously, whomever readied the device should have been aware of the restrictions and ensured the device was ready just prior to the presentation. But again, not a device or function failure -- lack of preparation.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's not being properly prepared. Obviously, whomever readied the device should have been aware of the restrictions and ensured the device was ready just prior to the presentation. But again, not a device or function failure -- lack of preparation.

True. If that's the case, then someone forgot the 48 hour thing. Sounds like something I would do.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW