Solid demo on face ID..... Not

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
This is how i saw it. Not saying you wrong :)

If you watch closely, as soon as the FaceID went wrong, he immediately wiped his face on each side, almost like he was wiping stuff away that might cause an error with the recognition. Maybe the camera picked up some makeup or possibly some shiny sweat on his face and thought it wasn't him. Just speculation obviously. Im sure when we get the iPhone X, everything will work correctly. :) I rather get a false reject than a false accept.

I saw that, too. But perhaps like a zillion others he also missed the bit on the screen that said "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID". So technically speaking it worked as intended. He just didn't enable Face ID before the presentation, and the phone prompted him to do so by asking for a passcode to be set.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
If Steve Jobs had been observing this demo he would have gone nuts and most definitely would have considered it a fail. Oh and several people would have probably been fired afterwards. Apple really has softened a little under the new leadership. Not that this is a bad thing.

Mr Jobs had his own problems during a demo once. He couldn't send to the screen from his iPhone 4 due to insufficient wifi in the arena! The network was clogged. He asked some to close their laptops. I'm sure there were plenty of volunteers.

The demonstrations weren't always slick.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
The official explanation is that so many faces were looking at the particular X device backstage that the unit shut down as it was designed to do after too many failed attempts.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The official explanation is that so many faces were looking at the particular X device backstage that the unit shut down as it was designed to do after too many failed attempts.

Exactly, and I think he knew at that point what had happened, but didn't want to use the passcode, so he just grabbed another phone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line for me is that I enjoy new tech. I gave Touch ID a chance with my 5s and now I'm going to give Facial recognition a chance with the iPhone X.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I expect this to happen a lot IRL, at least while the phone is new and attractive for others to look at. Also, at home. Inconvenient for sure.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Bottom line for me is that I enjoy new tech. I gave Touch ID a chance with my 5s and now I'm going to give Facial recognition a chance with the iPhone X.

Same here.

I trust Apple's explanation of what happened and am relieved that the Face ID didn't fail.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Somehow it doesn't reassure me that my $1150 phone will get better over time (i.e., with the next model).

My friend’s car was over $70k & there was recall. Stuff happens... nothing is perfect!!

I’m going to try and adopt this, but I’m still no fan. I don’t always have my phone near my face.

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I use touch ID and it is not fail proof. There are times it does not work. I expect teh face ID to be the same.

Exactly this! I work a lot around water and when my fingers are wet, it never reads them right. Also in the winter when hands get rough it's prone to fail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2