Solid demo on face ID..... Not

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
There's no way that phone wouldn't have been used for 48hrs. This would have been rehearsed over and over leading up to the keynote

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
There's no way that phone wouldn't have been used for 48hrs. This would have been rehearsed over and over leading up to the keynote

Yeah, but something was amiss security wise. FaceID worked properly, just saying it needed PIN to activate. I see that notification most often on my MacBook with unlock with Apple Watch, but I’ll also see it on my iPad fairly often.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Man you guys are a hard corps bunch...LOL. The current Touch ID has had four years of real world development. If I'm not mistaken the first Touch ID also had its share of problems as well. Give it some time, I'm sure it will get better.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes but with it replacing touchID (which was fool proof) it makes it even more critical the replacement be the same. Yes I understand they can tweak it, just don't think it will be as fast or reliable as touchID

I use touch ID and it is not fail proof. There are times it does not work. I expect teh face ID to be the same.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It gave me a chuckle, but same goes for Touch ID, yes it works 80-90% of the time, but others it will not and I have to use a pass code. Like WTF, why wont it work RIGHT now....

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Man you guys are a hard corps bunch...LOL. The current Touch ID has had four years of real world development. If I'm not mistaken the first Touch ID also had its share of problems as well. Give it some time, I'm sure it will get better.

Somehow it doesn't reassure me that my $1150 phone will get better over time (i.e., with the next model).

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Somehow it doesn't reassure me that my $1150 phone will get better over time (i.e., with the next model).

As with anything new and unproven in real world time...It gets better. Touch ID did (I don't remember the actual price for the 64gb 5s) and that device was also pricey as with all Apple products.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was user error. He didn't do it right. That's how it looked to me.

This is how i saw it. Not saying you wrong :)

If you watch closely, as soon as the FaceID went wrong, he immediately wiped his face on each side, almost like he was wiping stuff away that might cause an error with the recognition. Maybe the camera picked up some makeup or possibly some shiny sweat on his face and thought it wasn't him. Just speculation obviously. Im sure when we get the iPhone X, everything will work correctly. :) I rather get a false reject than a false accept.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is how i saw it. Not saying you wrong :)

If you watch closely, as soon as the FaceID went wrong, he immediately wiped his face on each side, almost like he was wiping stuff away that might cause an error with the recognition. Maybe the camera picked up some makeup or possibly some shiny sweat on his face and thought it wasn't him. Just speculation obviously. Im sure when we get the iPhone X, everything will work correctly. :) I rather get a false reject than a false accept.

Possible. But if you notice also, the keypad screen says, "Your Passcode is required to enable Face ID". As far as I know, only the 48 hour thing or 6 unsuccessful tries to open brings that message up. Maybe he'll reveal what happened some day. LOL I don't think it was a device fail. I think it worked as it's supposed to.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I just hope it's more reliable than TouchID has been for me. I'm right handed so maybe that has something to do with it, but everytime I set TouchID with my right thumb sometimes within just a few days it stops recognizing it. The left thumb strangely will work for months on end though once set. When I got my iPad a few weeks ago I set the first TouchID print to be my left thumb because of that. If you delete "print 1" which was usually always my right thumb and put it in again it puts it in as "print 3" no matter how many times you delete and re-scan it. Getting rid of "print 1" will throw off a lot of banking apps (and maybe others) and I've found they force you to log in again normally and then choose to use TouchID again in the future.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think it was a 'fail' per se'.
In addition, I do hope Apple, offer Touch ID devices for a while. I'd hate for 2018 and on wards to not have a Touch ID model...

I think as soon as apple can get TouchID under the screen we will no longer have a physical button. I think this was kind of plan B when they couldn't get touchID under the screen to work.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just hope it's more reliable than TouchID has been for me. I'm right handed so maybe that has something to do with it, but everytime I set TouchID with my right thumb sometimes within just a few days it stops recognizing it. The left thumb strangely will work for months on end though once set. When I got my iPad a few weeks ago I set the first TouchID print to be my left thumb because of that. If you delete "print 1" which was usually always my right thumb and put it in again it puts it in as "print 3" no matter how many times you delete and re-scan it. Getting rid of "print 1" will throw off a lot of banking apps (and maybe others) and I've found they force you to log in again normally and then choose to use TouchID again in the future.

Strange. Never had those issues with TouchID.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Possible. But if you notice also, the keypad screen says, "Your Passcode is required to enable Face ID". As far as I know, only the 48 hour thing or 6 unsuccessful tries to open brings that message up. Maybe he'll reveal what happened some day. LOL I don't think it was a device fail. I think it worked as it's supposed to.

If the phone was powered off it asks for a passcode.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2