iPhone X starting price: $999 USD - thoughts?

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Re: Starting price $999

Which is exactly what they want. I'm not trying to say anything personally offensive, just that that way of thinking plays right into billion dollar corporations hands. When does it end?

It isn't actually the building of a better mousetrap - everything announced yesterday has been seen on Android - as it is convincing the buyer it's superior. Actual performance varies.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Starting price $999

It isn't actually the building of a better mousetrap - everything announced yesterday has been seen on Android - as it is convincing the buyer it's superior. Actual performance varies.

I agree to a certain extent. Android (some not all), has really done well in introducing new and different things to smartphones, however ...It's not an iPhone.
Is the iPhone X worth $999 for the base model?...For some YES, and for others not so much. There will all be people who disagree with smartphone pricing...I'm one of them...LOL

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Camoagnola offers a parable I think is relevant. They were the premiere biking derailleur maker. Everyone ordered them in the 70s because they were cool and all the hot dogs ran 'em. Then I noticed tests in Bicycling where Shimano was waxing Campy. But Campy maintained its prestige and consequent premium prices because they were Campy, after all.

I had been off my bike for years, but we started up recreational riding on a bike path so went shopping. Everything we saw was Shimano. We saw no Campy at all. Even spellcheck on my iPhone doesn't recognize 'Campagnolo'.

The end.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
$1149 for the phone, $199 apple care, $50 for a case, wireless charger $50 to $100. about $1400 for a cellphone or a MacBook, or two iPads.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
$1149 for the phone, $199 apple care, $50 for a case, wireless charger $50 to $100. about $1400 for a cellphone or a MacBook, or two iPads.

But you won't need your MacBook because you can just plug in the iPhone into a cradle and it converts to a full featured desktop...oh wait...it's really just a very, very expensive camera that can call and email. :p

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Which is exactly what they want. I'm not trying to say anything personally offensive, just that that way of thinking plays right into billion dollar corporations hands. When does it end?

I’m not into the conspiracy theories and whatnot, but the whole point of putting out a product is for people to buy it. Not every device is made for everybody.

Price might be a technicality for you, and I, and some, but not for the majority of people. My point is how we as a society are getting conditioned. Most people live cheque to cheque, and they too will be buying the X, but they absolutely should not. They justify it by "it's just X more".

I totally understand, but it’s not my problem to worry if someone is working check to check and decides they want to get this phone. People have to take responsibility for themselves and if they can’t afford it, they shouldn’t get it. If they want to spend their entire check on it then that’s their business. This has nothing to do with conditioning. We aren’t children. We should be able to see something and have the common sense to not cave, if it’s something we can’t afford. Price is definitely a technicality because you either pay it or you don’t. It’s not rocket science.

The iPhone x looked better on stage than in the leaked photos I’ve seen. Like you, I’ve always been a person who had no problems buying something I wanted. Would I like to have the iPhone X? Sure! I’ve stated in multiple threads that I flat out refuse to buy the new iPhone if the price went north of $999. Of course, the price starts at $999...(Laughing)....Will I get it? Not sure.

I don’t like having to wait until the end of October just to “order it”. Heck, back orders could possibly have a January delivery date. That makes me want to lean toward the iPhone 8 instead, but we’ll see.

Couldn't agree more.
It's not about the few who can afford it, but those who cannot but feel they have to anyway. It's like gambling. Society is absolutely conditioned.
I'm not saying anything against Apple. I love their products, but I will not pay these prices. Until others feel the same way they will keep going up in price.

Again...folks need to set priorities. It’s not any company’s duty to lower their prices just so everyone can afford something.

If the price point is too much, then don't buy it. People acting like  doesn't sell everything at a premium price. The sticker shock reaction I have experienced personally is coming from people that always bought the low end storage device (16/32GB) just to get into the ecosystem. For my 6Plus and 6S Plus I paid 949 before tax each time, $1149 doesn't scare me. We all have things that we justify and will pay premuim prices for whether it be electronics, clothing, accessories, meals, or cars. It just depends on the person. If you are pressed over the price for this phone, then it isn't for you, and thats ok, there are other options available.

AGREED!!!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’m not into the conspiracy theories and whatnot, but the whole point of putting out a product is for people to buy it. Not every device is made for everybody.

I totally understand, but it’s not my problem to worry if someone is working check to check and decides they want to get this phone. People have to take responsibility for themselves and if they can’t afford it, they shouldn’t get it. If they want to spend their entire check on it then that’s their business. This has nothing to do with conditioning. We aren’t children. We should be able to see something and have the common sense to not cave, if it’s something we can’t afford. Price is definitely a technicality because you either pay it or you don’t. It’s not rocket science.

Again...folks need to set priorities. It’s not any company’s duty to lower their prices just so everyone can afford something.

AGREED!!!

Just for the sake of discussion, I don't think we can make generalizations about setting priorities or not being able to afford it. I'm sure you work hard for your money and you should be able to purchase things you like.
It's more about corporate greed and purposefully marketing so people are pressured into buying. We have less and less choices (Blackberry and Windows, for instance, are no longer making smartphones). If people don't stand up, the prices will keep rising. Eventually we will all have a ceiling we won't pay over and then, only then, does it become personal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just for the sake of discussion, I don't think we can make generalizations about setting priorities or not being able to afford it. I'm sure you work hard for your money and you should be able to purchase things you like.
It's more about corporate greed and purposefully marketing so people are pressured into buying. We have less and less choices (Blackberry and Windows, for instance, are no longer making smartphones). If people don't stand up, the prices will keep rising. Eventually we will all have a ceiling we won't pay over and then, only then, does it become personal.

What company does not do the same? Any company selling a product tries to get as much for it as they can, and purposefully market in a way to best entice the buyer. Many will stand up and opt for the 8 or 8 Plus. I'm seeing that a lot everywhere. To what degree, time will tell. But there's also many who want and can afford the latest greatest iPhone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
What company does not do the same? Any company selling a product tries to get as much for it as they can, and purposefully market in a way to best entice the buyer. Many will stand up and opt for the 8 or 8 Plus. I'm seeing that a lot everywhere. To what degree, time will tell. But there's also many who want and can afford the latest greatest iPhone.

I'm not picking on Apple so to speak and, yes, companies want to make a profit. Usually, prices come down with technology over time. Heck, even if they stayed the same it would be OK. I believe these companies are pricing themselves out of markets but, like you said, we'll see. It will be interesting.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

In response to your previous comment, I said items aren’t always marketed for everyone. And I talked about priorities because the comment states not everyone can afford the new iPhone & people live check to check (btw that comment said MOST people live check to check & that’s not based on actual facts). An iPhone is not a necessity, so if a person has an issue with the price they don’t have to buy it. Again..priorities! Just FYI my responses were to comments and not specifically about certain people.

Now as far as corporations being greedy, they are...but that has nothing to do with a person’s choice of device & how much they are willing to spend on it. People will stand up for things if & when they want to and just because you feel a certain way doesn’t mean everyone has to. There are tons of choices out there, people just need to be willing to choose those options. Example...a Chanel jumbo flap bag costs roughly $3800. If someone thinks the price is too high, they don’t have to buy it because there are other options. If Someone chooses to spend their check on it, that’s their business. I’m pretty sure the prices aren’t coming down just because some people don’t want to buy Chanel. They don’t market to every type of person & that’s perfectly fine. It is what it is.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
In response to your previous comment, I said items aren’t always marketed for everyone. And I talked about priorities because the comment states not everyone can afford the new iPhone & people live check to check (btw that comment said MOST people live check to check & that’s not based on actual facts). An iPhone is not a necessity, so if a person has an issue with the price they don’t have to buy it. Again..priorities! Just FYI my responses were to comments and not specifically about certain people.

Now as far as corporations being greedy, they are...but that has nothing to do with a person’s choice of device & how much they are willing to spend on it. People will stand up for things if & when they want to and just because you feel a certain way doesn’t mean everyone has to. There are tons of choices out there, people just need to be willing to choose those options. Example...a Chanel jumbo flap bag costs roughly $3800. If someone thinks the price is too high, they don’t have to buy it because there are other options. If Someone chooses to spend their check on it, that’s their business. I’m pretty sure the prices aren’t coming down just because some people don’t want to buy Chanel. They don’t market to every type of person & that’s perfectly fine. It is what it is.

Appreciate the response.
I would argue that a smartphone is a necessity these days, certainly more than a Chanel purse. While there are still inexpensive Android phones I worry about this trend of high end expensive ones. That's what happens when there's little to no competition.
Some people have a smartphone and not a computer. It's their connection to the world. That's why I hope they keep the SE line going next year. It a decent phone without the X price tag.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm not picking on Apple so to speak and, yes, companies want to make a profit. Usually, prices come down with technology over time. Heck, even if they stayed the same it would be OK. I believe these companies are pricing themselves out of markets but, like you said, we'll see. It will be interesting.
The company is stagnant. Quarter over quarter declining sales for phones. They are searching for a big idea but cannot find one. There are no visionary ideas on the horizon. Wearables dream failed to materialize. Only options on the table are to further lock existing user base into the ecosystem and hold on tight, and increase prices to boost ASP. It's a containment strategy. They have to try to sustain their financial position but if something does not change radically in the next 2 years Apple will visibly start to decline. Upgrade cycles are nonsense as they only provide temporary boost. Planned obsolescence will not fix it either. Phones, like desktops following Intel's introduction of the Nehalem architecture, are reaching the point where hardware changes and performance gains are so incremental that the average user sees no difference if they are using a 2 year old device or a brand new one. This is the market reality. Apple is trying to buck the trend of commoditization but that is only possible with innovation. Clever marketing and consumer gullibility will only get you so far. Watch the sales numbers this year and you will the the same trend continue. I feel very comfortable making that prediction based on the current offering of products and services.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Ugh...I am not sure why this is not coming across. 64GB iPhone X is intentionally crippled. Storage cannot expand and as such it is a "budget" choice with very limited capability IRL because 64GB and 4K simply don't go together, at all. It does not compare to the Note 8 which by default Samsung is offering with 64GB and a 128GB SD card, and a wireless charger. Therefore, the Note 8 compares to Apple's only viable tier, the 256GB device and the price split there is >20%. Even if you were to purchase the 128GB SD card yourself you'd pay between $20 and $60 for it, which marginally decreases the price split but it is still around 20%. Even if you adjust for the 64GB of storage at retail you're maybe going to shave back another $20. No matter how you look at it, the price is about 20% more. Price has nothing to do with how the user uses their phone, however it does have everything to do with need vs. want. Somebody who is buying an iPhone X in any capacity to talk and text is either well-off or delusional.

Anyway, I think we beat this horse to death.

I have a 64GB 6S+ and take a lot of 4K video. I have the beta HVEC and it's about half the storage space per video than before. I have 30GB left. And with could storage (Dropbox) I can move my videos over and not keep them on my device.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate the response.
I would argue that a smartphone is a necessity these days, certainly more than a Chanel purse. While there are still inexpensive Android phones I worry about this trend of high end expensive ones. That's what happens when there's little to no competition.
Some people have a smartphone and not a computer. It's their connection to the world. That's why I hope they keep the SE line going next year. It a decent phone without the X price tag.

I agree to a certain extent but an iPhone, specifically, is not a necessity. And I don't think we're in danger of high end phones becoming the norm. I see way more people with low end devices or old iPhones than I see with newer high end devices....we just don't hear many people talking about them. As many people as I come in contact with, through travel & work, I can actually count the number of iPhone 7's I see. It's not like we think it is.

BTW...A Chanel purse is a necessity to some lol. Gotta have somewhere to store that high end phone

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had iPhones since the original came out. Currently I'm using a 256 GB 7+, but I really like the new display on the the iPhone X and the smaller overall case size with a bigger screen.

T-Mobile just listed their pricing for the X:

64GB $999.99. $279.99 down and $30 per month for 24 months.
256GB $1,149.99, $429.9 down and $30 per month for $24 months.

Wow. For my 256 7+, it was 299 down and 30 per month. It's hard for me to justify the X's price when I can get a S8 for $30 down and $30 per month for 24 months. Both the s8 and the X are roughly the same size with the same screen size. No, the s8 does not have a dual camera, but its camera is still very good.

As both OSes are mature at this point, and I really have no issues using either, this has just become a very tough decision. If only they had released a 128GB instead of the 256GB......

~S

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative