iPhone X starting price: $999 USD - thoughts?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
People who use a lot of media (photos, video, tv, gaming, etc) will never get the $999 version, they will get the $1149 version. Let's round up for ease of use.

$1150 Photo
$200 Apple Care
$100 Apple's Leather Case = huge price increase to $99 Why?
$150 Tax
$75 Wireless Basic Doc / Belkin?
$25 Glass Screen Protector
= $1700.00 plus your wireless bill

So $1700 for an iPhone ???

Dawg, Tech Armor glass screen protectors are like $7 for a two pack on Amazon.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
People who use a lot of media (photos, video, tv, gaming, etc) will never get the $999 version, they will get the $1149 version. Let's round up for ease of use.

$1150 Photo
$200 Apple Care
$150 Tax

Yeah, it's crazy. In my province the average wage is just south of $50,000 per year, gross. Net is about 20% less. Since what you added up there would cost about $2,300 here up north, we're talking 2/3+ of month's net wages for an iPhone. I will bet you many will still get it.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you that design is subjective. Capability is not. They are running different operating systems, but they have access to the exact same features and applications and are suited to a different purpose. It's not even like MacOS vs. Windows. Not even close. In almost every single way they are exactly the same. You are absolutely right that the price point is not subjective, and Samsung did not release a flagship at a similar cost. It released one that is roughly 20%-25% cheaper than the iPhone X, and it too is actually too expensive to start. Again, base iPhone X - the 64GB variant - is extremely limited. I think you fail to understand just how little storage 64GB actually is in a 4K world. It is so minuscule that it is probably worse than the 16GB variant of days old.

$930 for the Note is not 20-25% cheaper. The actual figure is 7% cheaper. See you were being subjective with the price point. Shame on you. :) If you were referring to the S8, then I'd like to point you to the 8 which would be considered the flagship phone for Apple in any other year for a similar price as the S8. As far as capability goes, I'd say yes they are subjective. How the user uses their phone is what matters because there are many capabilities that may be available but never used by someone.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
$930 for the Note is not 20-25% cheaper. The actual figure is 7% cheaper. See you were being subjective with the price point. Shame on you. :) If you were referring to the S8, then I'd like to point you to the 8 which would be considered the flagship phone for Apple in any other year for a similar price as the S8. As far as capability goes, I'd say yes they are subjective. How the user uses their phone is what matters because there are many capabilities that may be available but never used by someone.
Ugh...I am not sure why this is not coming across. 64GB iPhone X is intentionally crippled. Storage cannot expand and as such it is a "budget" choice with very limited capability IRL because 64GB and 4K simply don't go together, at all. It does not compare to the Note 8 which by default Samsung is offering with 64GB and a 128GB SD card, and a wireless charger. Therefore, the Note 8 compares to Apple's only viable tier, the 256GB device and the price split there is >20%. Even if you were to purchase the 128GB SD card yourself you'd pay between $20 and $60 for it, which marginally decreases the price split but it is still around 20%. Even if you adjust for the 64GB of storage at retail you're maybe going to shave back another $20. No matter how you look at it, the price is about 20% more. Price has nothing to do with how the user uses their phone, however it does have everything to do with need vs. want. Somebody who is buying an iPhone X in any capacity to talk and text is either well-off or delusional.

Anyway, I think we beat this horse to death.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

[URL="https://www.apple.com/search/iPhone-X-Leather-Folio-Taupe#mn_p]New leather folio case is $99[/URL]

[URL="https://www.apple.com/search/iPhone-X-Leather-Case-Saddle-Brown#mn_p]Standard leather case is $49[/URL]

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
[URL="https://www.apple.com/search/iPhone-X-Leather-Folio-Taupe#mn_p]New leather folio case is $99[/URL]

[URL="https://www.apple.com/search/iPhone-X-Leather-Case-Saddle-Brown#mn_p]Standard leather case is $49[/URL]

In that case (pun) I will stick with the standard leather. Been using it for years. Even have an extra black one for the iPhone 7 sealed, that Apple sent me as a bonus for helping them with a bug.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

$1150 Phone
$200 Apple Care
$150 Tax

Michigan tax is 6% so that's $90 instead of $150. So I save $60. My wireless bill is $367 until end of Nov and then it drops about $59. Yea I see what you mean.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Michigan tax is 6% so that's $90 instead of $150. So I save $60. My wireless bill is $367 until end of Nov and then it drops about $59. Yea I see what you mean.

My home is in Oregon = 0% tax, but currently working and living in Seattle with about 10% tax. If I do go into the store and buy it outright I can use my Oregon ID to save the tax, since my billing address is OR. But if I preorder, and need to ship to WA, I have to pay the tax.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If the price point is too much, then don't buy it. People acting like  doesn't sell everything at a premium price. The sticker shock reaction I have experienced personally is coming from people that always bought the low end storage device (16/32GB) just to get into the ecosystem. For my 6Plus and 6S Plus I paid 949 before tax each time, $1149 doesn't scare me. We all have things that we justify and will pay premuim prices for whether it be electronics, clothing, accessories, meals, or cars. It just depends on the person. If you are pressed over the price for this phone, then it isn't for you, and thats ok, there are other options available.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I understand. I was just commenting on others, that's all. I have the 7 plus and I'm not really looking to upgrade. At least I shouldn't be. IF I was to buy a new one, it would be on ATT Next. Also I drive a box truck for deliveries. A lot of times I have to give the phone to the customer to talk to my warehouse. That's one thing that's keeping me from getting the X. Customers. Probably will stick with my 7 plus for now.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a iPhone 7 and I am going to get the X 64 gig model. I figure life is too short and get what you want and enjoy it. I am looking forward to the gesture concept and being a former Blackberry 10 user, I will adapt rather quickly. Can't wait until Oct 27th.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a iPhone 7 and I am going to get the X 64 gig model. I figure life is too short and get what you want and enjoy it. I am looking forward to the gesture concept and being a former Blackberry 10 user, I will adapt rather quickly. Can't wait until Oct 27th.

As soon as i saw the swipe up from the bottom to get to our recent apps and also the home screen, i was like HEY Blackberry 10. Great to see you again haha. So i was definitely a fan of that. I love swiping and was doing it for many years before i moved over to a Android Priv. But who knows, this new iPhone X might just be the ticket to make me switch. $999 + Tax is a little hard to swallow considering the most I've paid for a device is $299 but as you said, life i short and lets enjoy the things we can.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As soon as i saw the swipe up from the bottom to get to our recent apps and also the home screen, i was like HEY Blackberry 10. Great to see you again haha. So i was definitely a fan of that. I love swiping and was doing it for many years before i moved over to a Android Priv. But who knows, this new iPhone X might just be the ticket to make me switch. $999 + Tax is a little hard to swallow considering the most I've paid for a device is $299 but as you said, life i short and lets enjoy the things we can.

Thanks, I try and stay active and the CB and iMore forums. I have been busy lately and now I am heart patient and have changed my lifestyle to be healthier and so far I have lost 60 pounds and I feel great.

I am very fortunate to be a vet and have a great hospital at the Ann Arbor VA who take great care of me and my fellow vets.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
When rumors said the iPhone will be over $1000, I said I've had it with all these expensive phones. Looking at my $900+ 7 plus and smh. I told myself I'm down sizing to the SE if they put 7 internals. Fast forward to the keynote and now I'm already looking at wireless pads and cases smh. Apple got me again... hook line and sinker

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, in most parts of Canada, the price for the 256 GB version 10 will be over $1700 including taxes. Apple didn't use a very good exchange rate which is what they have been doing lately. In the UK, it's the same price I hear as in USA. Obviously, Apple has their reasons but I doubt the reasons are sound.

I have the 7+ and I am relatively satisfied with it. However, I had no choice last year but to get the 7 because my 5 had died.

I don't upgrade for 3 or more years. And when I do it's because the device becomes too sluggish to use or it has hardware issues.

Although I wanted to get the 10, in a way I am happy that the price is so high. I feel the 10 is arguably way too expensive for a phone and a bit more.

Apple has done their part and reassured me that not upgrading is the right thing to do. They are getting rid of 32 bit apps which developers are no longer supporting. I have many that I still use because they are functional.

The latest iTunes has done away with the App Store. I still backup my device to both the cloud and PC. I have many apps that I did not update because they are too "bloated" in my opinion so I use older versions.

While many people may be technically categorized as sheeple, I don't follow trends, become influenced by marketing or hype, compete with others, or have the need to fit-in. I have the ability of critical analysis. I absorb as much relevant information and make up my own mind.

Should the iPhone 10 have some serious issues, I will just sit back and grin at the early adopters who shelled out all that money just to satisfy their ego.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, in most parts of Canada, the price for the 256 GB version 10 will be over $1700 including taxes. Apple didn't use a very good exchange rate which is what they have been doing lately. In the UK, it's the same price I hear as in USA. Obviously, Apple has their reasons but I doubt the reasons are sound.

I have the 7+ and I am relatively satisfied with it. However, I had no choice last year but to get the 7 because my 5 had died.

I don't upgrade for 3 or more years. And when I do it's because the device becomes too sluggish to use or it has hardware issues.

Although I wanted to get the 10, in a way I am happy that the price is so high. I feel the 10 is arguably way too expensive for a phone and a bit more.

Apple has done their part and reassured me that not upgrading is the right thing to do. They are getting rid of 32 bit apps which developers are no longer supporting. I have many that I still use because they are functional.

The latest iTunes has done away with the App Store. I still backup my device to both the cloud and PC. I have many apps that I did not update because they are too "bloated" in my opinion so I use older versions.

While many people may be technically categorized as sheeple, I don't follow trends, become influenced by marketing or hype, compete with others, or have the need to fit-in. I have the ability of critical analysis. I absorb as much relevant information and make up my own mind.

Should the iPhone 10 have some serious issues, I will just sit back and grin at the early adopters who shelled out all that money just to satisfy their ego.

The 7 plus had numerous issues and I'm sure the 10 will have its issues as well. No phone is perfect. There 6 had numerous issues, 6s not so much, 7 did, 8 won't probably and the 10 will.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Haven't seen any issues with my 7 plus. Also my 6 plus and my 6s plus never had issues either. Guess I was one of the many lucky ones.

Crown R0yal

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The price is ridiculous but the choices are get it .... or not get it. And I'll always choose to get it! Plus, I'll be trading it in next year anyway for whatever comes out. Question though: When does the cycle stop? When do I keep a phone for more than 1 year!?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro