iPhone X starting price: $999 USD - thoughts?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Starting price $999

I get where you're coming from, but price is nothing I look at when it comes to certain things, like my smartphone. If I want it, I'm getting it. I haven't been wowed by a phone I. Almost a decade because I pretty much do the same things with them all & don't usually care about the new features. If it's faster, with more storage then I'm usually down. Price is just a technicality.

Price might be a technicality for you, and I, and some, but not for the majority of people. My point is how we as a society are getting conditioned. Most people live cheque to cheque, and they too will be buying the X, but they absolutely should not. They justify it by "it's just X more".

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you ever jailbroken your iPhone in the past there. Is nothing exciting about the x other than the look and the camera I'll wait till the hype dies down then I'll decide which phone I want

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, sales figures will show, but by the response on this forum so far, I'm not sure Apple nailed it this year...it almost feels worse than the removal of a headphone jack. That only required an adapter. It's a whole another thing when you are asking people for nearly double in cash for a marginal improvement.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I agree, dejanh. And for half that price, a person could get the Samsung Galaxy S8 which would basically have the same things as the iPhone X.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Tough stuff.. like I mentioned earlier $1400 (or more) after getting the case (Did I see it $99 now for the Apple Leather) and $TAX at 10%, plus we will still want to get a wireless charger later down the line. By the time we're done, it's a cheap used car.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
$100 hike and smaller than the 7+, but of course different features and more power.

Yup...I think it's priced right on point.

The shell shocked people are the $650 min iPhone 7 buyers going "OMG! A $400 price hike!" But the premium buyers know it's right close to last year.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yup...I think it's priced right on point.

The shell shocked people are the $650 min iPhone 7 buyers going "OMG! A $400 price hike!" But the premium buyers know it's right close to last year.

Depends how you use the phone and/or if you have that much disposable income. I really use my phone for business.. appointments, work related photography, occasional business texts, reminders, GPS, etc. I don't play games, I don't use it for music, I don't facetime, or snapchat. I doubt I would use the Animojis(SP) except to try them once, etc.. for me it's a luxury, the one nice thing I buy myself a year.

Still, going from a 7 to a X after case / tax = about double the price.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I looked at the X and didn't like that its smaller than my 7plus. The 8 plus looks good but it's practically the same as my 7 plus. Guess I'll just wait until next year. Besides I just bought the new 15" MacBook Pro not even a month and a half ago. With the case and the AppleCare I'm out about $3200. I can't, even with At&t Next, afford another iPhone at this time. Than again I'm still thinking about the 10.5" iPad Pro, on At&t Next, even though I sold my 12.9" 1st gen at the end of July.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been at the point where cost isn’t a factor for anything I deem useful. How do y’all feel about the pricepoint?

The iPhone x looked better on stage than in the leaked photos I’ve seen. Like you, I’ve always been a person who had no problems buying something I wanted. Would I like to have the iPhone X? Sure! I’ve stated in multiple threads that I flat out refuse to buy the new iPhone if the price went north of $999. Of course, the price starts at $999...(Laughing)....Will I get it? Not sure.

I don’t like having to wait until the end of October just to “order it”. Heck, back orders could possibly have a January delivery date. That makes me want to lean toward the iPhone 8 instead, but we’ll see.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea if I had the money to blow or was on a upgrade program I would go for the X. But I am just not the type of person or apple fan that HAS to get the newest iphone/ apple product EVERY YEAR. I am usually good with whatever iphone I have for at least two years (sometimes more). I am just not a fan of paying monthly fees for a phone and stuff and would rather just buy it outright and be done. But I admit the iphone X is impressive and I sorta envy those buying it, but then again I think about the money I saved that could be used for vacations or just to have in me saving account and I feel a bit better ha. Maybe it will be a bit cheaper next year (if they sell it) and I might make the upgrade.

But I do think it's rue the some people feel the need to knock those that choose to spend the money on the iphone X like I seen on other internet forums. It just comes off as childish.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Re: Starting price $999

Price might be a technicality for you, and I, and some, but not for the majority of people. My point is how we as a society are getting conditioned. Most people live cheque to cheque, and they too will be buying the X, but they absolutely should not. They justify it by "it's just X more".

Couldn't agree more.
It's not about the few who can afford it, but those who cannot but feel they have to anyway. It's like gambling. Society is absolutely conditioned.
I'm not saying anything against Apple. I love their products, but I will not pay these prices. Until others feel the same way they will keep going up in price.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been at the point where cost isn’t a factor for anything I deem useful. How do y’all feel about the pricepoint?

Apple always commands a high price for their products because they are extremely well built and if you look after them, they last a long time. They also get OS update support for MUCH longer than many competing android companies. I think $999 is a little high though for the average person who is just using the device for Facebook and texting. It does look gorgeous though, so its tough. I would have liked even $949.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Would love one for $1000 heck would buy 10. Here a X256gb with AC plus, my UAG MB case and screen protector will set me back $2,200AUD, read it and weep :)

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Priced pretty high. I do like that versus my 7 plus it has
A Bigger screen
Improved camera
Faster processor for gaming
Longer lasting battery
Double storage than my 32gb 7plus

Might be worth it. Not sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics