1149 for a phone?!?!

Apple last lost their damn minds...

When can I preorder?!
    LOL. That pretty much sums it up for me.
    MooMooPrincess and ladyc0524 like this.
    09-13-2017 12:28 PM
    I'm not surprised or upset about it. That's the price we were expecting and, as we've seen with both Apple and Android for the past year... prices are going up. We're putting more tech into the devices, much higher quality in some cases and the prices of components have gone up. I'm not excited to go throw a grand at a phone... but I'm not going to pretend I know better than Apple and Samsung and Google and whoeverelse that I know more about them about what the proper market price of their devices are. They didn't just pick a number out of the sky.
    09-13-2017 12:38 PM
    But actually almost every reviewer talked about high high the cost of the Note 8 was. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm sure the iPhone x will sell a ton. No doubt about it. For me I won't get it. Maybe next year after face id is prove and the bugs of a fresh design are worked out. For 1149 U.S. I'll wait. I'm also hoping ios 12 actually changes things software wise. Really getting tired of the same software.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:07 PM
    It's not a cop out when it's true. Whether the Note 8 is a more capable phone and a better design is purely subjective too. What's not subjective is the price points of each phone which is my one and only point. They are similar. I'm not saying they are justified or not justified. Just that for all the hoopla around the iPhone price, just a few weeks ago Samsung released their flagship phone for a similar cost. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I'll give you that design is subjective. Capability is not. They are running different operating systems, but they have access to the exact same features and applications and are suited to a different purpose. It's not even like MacOS vs. Windows. Not even close. In almost every single way they are exactly the same. You are absolutely right that the price point is not subjective, and Samsung did not release a flagship at a similar cost. It released one that is roughly 20%-25% cheaper than the iPhone X, and it too is actually too expensive to start. Again, base iPhone X - the 64GB variant - is extremely limited. I think you fail to understand just how little storage 64GB actually is in a 4K world. It is so minuscule that it is probably worse than the 16GB variant of days old. Samsung completely mitigates this though the use of SD cards.

I'm not surprised or upset about it. That's the price we were expecting and, as we've seen with both Apple and Android for the past year... prices are going up. We're putting more tech into the devices, much higher quality in some cases and the prices of components have gone up. I'm not excited to go throw a grand at a phone... but I'm not going to pretend I know better than Apple and Samsung and Google and whoeverelse that I know more about them about what the proper market price of their devices are. They didn't just pick a number out of the sky.
    This has nothing to do with pretending to know better than Apple or Samsung. They are not pricing their products based on the BOM with a fixed margin, and are instead pricing for margins that compensate for a decline in flagship sales. Shareholders want higher returns, and the only way to produce those is to push the price higher and higher. The price is not increasing proportional to the BOM cost.

But actually almost every reviewer talked about high high the cost of the Note 8 was. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm sure the iPhone x will sell a ton. No doubt about it. For me I won't get it. Maybe next year after face id is prove and the bugs of a fresh design are worked out. For 1149 U.S. I'll wait. I'm also hoping ios 12 actually changes things software wise. Really getting tired of the same software.
    I have no doubts that Apple will sell a ton. But it will be less than they sold before in every category. It will be further exacerbated by low yields of the iPhone X. For now you can easily argue that this is all speculation, but it is more than that. Flagship sales are on a decline, and Apple has pretty consistently been posting declining sales as well as of late. They will decline again. The market is saturated and the increased price point will price out more individuals. It's a losing game and this is just the start.
    09-13-2017 01:16 PM
    This has nothing to do with pretending to know better than Apple or Samsung. They are not pricing their products based on the BOM with a fixed margin, and are instead pricing for margins that compensate for a decline in flagship sales. Shareholders want higher returns, and the only way to produce those is to push the price higher and higher. The price is not increasing proportional to the BOM cost.
    That's basically what I'm saying though - the price is appropriate for what they need to get out of it above their expenses. My point was the price isn't arbitrary or greed, it's a calculated cost that, if sales are x then they net y.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:22 PM
    When I am in the market for a new iPhone next year it might be the first time I don't get the latest greatest because of price. Hopefully Apple keeps the X around next year with a lower price. That $999 is only $250 less than what I paid for my Macbook Pro and 3x what I paid for my iPad Mini 4. Kind of hard to swallow for me.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:24 PM
    That's basically what I'm saying though - the price is appropriate for what they need to get out of it above their expenses. My point was the price isn't arbitrary or greed, it's a calculated cost that, if sales are x then they net y.
    Agree on that 100% I would only go so far as to say that greed does somewhat factor into the pricing. The shareholders don't objectively need ever-growing returns, but that is what the system expects, hence we are where we are. Greed is kind of at the root of NA capitalism. Anyway, off topic and I don't want to go too political or get too deep into economics.

When I am in the market for a new iPhone next year it might be the first time I don't get the latest greatest because of price. Hopefully Apple keeps the X around next year with a lower price. That $999 is only $250 less than what I paid for my Macbook Pro and 3x what I paid for my iPad Mini 4. Kind of hard to swallow for me.
    Yes but, what other device can animate a piece of poo. Tell me, who?
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:24 PM
    Now quietly they raised the prices of the top tier levels on the iPad Pros by $50. I had the 10.5" in my hands with Att Next over the weekend and said no because I didn't think I needed it. My point is whether it's the iPhone X or the Note 8, their both expensive and their both good. I've had Apple and Samsung phones before. I've come back to Apple because I like it more than Android. But that's me and a lot of others too. You buy what you want and others buy what they want

I left iPhones after the 5 because the screen was too small for me. I got the S3, than S4, and than the Note 3, all in a matter of a years time because of the size of the screen. All this time I had either an iPad or now a MacBook Pro. I came back to iPhones because of the 6 plus. Now again everything I have syncs together. I love what I have.

Buy what you want. Everybody does. Don't let others complain that your wrong or you don't have their ego system. You get want you need or in my cause, what you want and don't necessarily need. Be happy with what you got. It's almost like gas prices, it'll always go up. But gas prices do come down, our phones probably won't if you want new every year.
    09-13-2017 01:31 PM
    People who use a lot of media (photos, video, tv, gaming, etc) will never get the $999 version, they will get the $1149 version. Let's round up for ease of use.

$1150 Phone
    $200 Apple Care
    $100 Apple's Leather Case = huge price increase to $99 Why?
    $150 Tax
    $75 Wireless Basic Doc / Belkin?
    $25 Glass Screen Protector
    = $1700.00 plus your wireless bill

So $1700 for an iPhone ???
    Last edited by Craig; 09-13-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    09-13-2017 01:34 PM
    Yes but, what other device can animate a piece of poo. Tell me, who?
    Lol, the animoji are cute but I don't really see me using those; ever.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:42 PM
    People who use a lot of media (photos, video, tv, gaming, etc) will never get the $999 version, they will get the $1149 version. Let's round up for ease of use.

$1150 Photo
    $200 Apple Care
    $150 Tax

Dawg, Tech Armor glass screen protectors are like $7 for a two pack on Amazon.
    09-13-2017 01:44 PM

$1150 Photo
    $200 Apple Care
    $150 Tax

Yeah, it's crazy. In my province the average wage is just south of $50,000 per year, gross. Net is about 20% less. Since what you added up there would cost about $2,300 here up north, we're talking 2/3+ of month's net wages for an iPhone. I will bet you many will still get it.
    09-13-2017 01:44 PM
    I'll give you that design is subjective. Capability is not. They are running different operating systems, but they have access to the exact same features and applications and are suited to a different purpose. It's not even like MacOS vs. Windows. Not even close. In almost every single way they are exactly the same. You are absolutely right that the price point is not subjective, and Samsung did not release a flagship at a similar cost. It released one that is roughly 20%-25% cheaper than the iPhone X, and it too is actually too expensive to start. Again, base iPhone X - the 64GB variant - is extremely limited. I think you fail to understand just how little storage 64GB actually is in a 4K world. It is so minuscule that it is probably worse than the 16GB variant of days old.
    $930 for the Note is not 20-25% cheaper. The actual figure is 7% cheaper. See you were being subjective with the price point. Shame on you. If you were referring to the S8, then I'd like to point you to the 8 which would be considered the flagship phone for Apple in any other year for a similar price as the S8. As far as capability goes, I'd say yes they are subjective. How the user uses their phone is what matters because there are many capabilities that may be available but never used by someone.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:48 PM
    Dawg, Tech Armor glass screen protectors are like $7 for a two pack on Amazon.
    Zagg = $45
    09-13-2017 01:59 PM
    $930 for the Note is not 20-25% cheaper. The actual figure is 7% cheaper. See you were being subjective with the price point. Shame on you. If you were referring to the S8, then I'd like to point you to the 8 which would be considered the flagship phone for Apple in any other year for a similar price as the S8. As far as capability goes, I'd say yes they are subjective. How the user uses their phone is what matters because there are many capabilities that may be available but never used by someone.
    Ugh...I am not sure why this is not coming across. 64GB iPhone X is intentionally crippled. Storage cannot expand and as such it is a "budget" choice with very limited capability IRL because 64GB and 4K simply don't go together, at all. It does not compare to the Note 8 which by default Samsung is offering with 64GB and a 128GB SD card, and a wireless charger. Therefore, the Note 8 compares to Apple's only viable tier, the 256GB device and the price split there is >20%. Even if you were to purchase the 128GB SD card yourself you'd pay between $20 and $60 for it, which marginally decreases the price split but it is still around 20%. Even if you adjust for the 64GB of storage at retail you're maybe going to shave back another $20. No matter how you look at it, the price is about 20% more. Price has nothing to do with how the user uses their phone, however it does have everything to do with need vs. want. Somebody who is buying an iPhone X in any capacity to talk and text is either well-off or delusional.

Anyway, I think we beat this horse to death.
    09-13-2017 02:00 PM
    Anyway, I think we beat this horse to death.
    Yes. Yes we did.
    dejanh and Nonsenseinsd8 like this.
    09-13-2017 02:33 PM
    New leather folio case is $99

Standard leather case is $49
    09-13-2017 03:58 PM
    In that case (pun) I will stick with the standard leather. Been using it for years. Even have an extra black one for the iPhone 7 sealed, that Apple sent me as a bonus for helping them with a bug.
    09-13-2017 04:11 PM

$1150 Phone
    $200 Apple Care
    $150 Tax

Michigan tax is 6% so that's $90 instead of $150. So I save $60. My wireless bill is $367 until end of Nov and then it drops about $59. Yea I see what you mean.
    09-13-2017 04:32 PM
    Michigan tax is 6% so that's $90 instead of $150. So I save $60. My wireless bill is $367 until end of Nov and then it drops about $59. Yea I see what you mean.
    My home is in Oregon = 0% tax, but currently working and living in Seattle with about 10% tax. If I do go into the store and buy it outright I can use my Oregon ID to save the tax, since my billing address is OR. But if I preorder, and need to ship to WA, I have to pay the tax.
    09-13-2017 05:13 PM
    If the price point is too much, then don't buy it. People acting like  doesn't sell everything at a premium price. The sticker shock reaction I have experienced personally is coming from people that always bought the low end storage device (16/32GB) just to get into the ecosystem. For my 6Plus and 6S Plus I paid 949 before tax each time, $1149 doesn't scare me. We all have things that we justify and will pay premuim prices for whether it be electronics, clothing, accessories, meals, or cars. It just depends on the person. If you are pressed over the price for this phone, then it isn't for you, and thats ok, there are other options available.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 05:48 PM
    I understand. I was just commenting on others, that's all. I have the 7 plus and I'm not really looking to upgrade. At least I shouldn't be. IF I was to buy a new one, it would be on ATT Next. Also I drive a box truck for deliveries. A lot of times I have to give the phone to the customer to talk to my warehouse. That's one thing that's keeping me from getting the X. Customers. Probably will stick with my 7 plus for now.
    09-13-2017 07:17 PM
    I currently have a iPhone 7 and I am going to get the X 64 gig model. I figure life is too short and get what you want and enjoy it. I am looking forward to the gesture concept and being a former Blackberry 10 user, I will adapt rather quickly. Can't wait until Oct 27th.
    09-13-2017 07:23 PM
    I currently have a iPhone 7 and I am going to get the X 64 gig model. I figure life is too short and get what you want and enjoy it. I am looking forward to the gesture concept and being a former Blackberry 10 user, I will adapt rather quickly. Can't wait until Oct 27th.
    As soon as i saw the swipe up from the bottom to get to our recent apps and also the home screen, i was like HEY Blackberry 10. Great to see you again haha. So i was definitely a fan of that. I love swiping and was doing it for many years before i moved over to a Android Priv. But who knows, this new iPhone X might just be the ticket to make me switch. $999 + Tax is a little hard to swallow considering the most I've paid for a device is $299 but as you said, life i short and lets enjoy the things we can.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-13-2017 07:34 PM
    As soon as i saw the swipe up from the bottom to get to our recent apps and also the home screen, i was like HEY Blackberry 10. Great to see you again haha. So i was definitely a fan of that. I love swiping and was doing it for many years before i moved over to a Android Priv. But who knows, this new iPhone X might just be the ticket to make me switch. $999 + Tax is a little hard to swallow considering the most I've paid for a device is $299 but as you said, life i short and lets enjoy the things we can.
    Thanks, I try and stay active and the CB and iMore forums. I have been busy lately and now I am heart patient and have changed my lifestyle to be healthier and so far I have lost 60 pounds and I feel great.

I am very fortunate to be a vet and have a great hospital at the Ann Arbor VA who take great care of me and my fellow vets.
    09-13-2017 07:39 PM
134 12345 ...