Who’s getting one?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
No changes ...
I've purchased manual, ProCamera, tried using Lightroom etc as well

One would think it may be a one off issue ... But for my wife's 7, my previous 7+ and now the 8+ to share the same issue... It's just very very odd

I've owned several generations of iPhones and this was always the look of the photos. In good lighting the effect is much less pronounced and in some cases non-existent. It gets worse with worse lighting conditions as there is more software based post-processing done to make the images look better on screen/small format print.

Note though that when viewing these images in print, or even digitally on television, you won't notice much of this post processing issue.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No changes ...

One would think it may be a one off issue ... But for my wife's 7, my previous 7+ and now the 8+ to share the same issue... It's just very very odd

It's not odd. It's normal. Apple does a massive amount of compression on Photos. This is why iPhone photos are considerably smaller than the photos of Android camera phones with similar resolution camera modules. It's also why iPhones tend to lack in detail compared i.e. Samsung Phones. The compression loses quality, and the noise reduction is incredibly high in their post processing.

This results in the loss of a lot of fine detail, which leads to the watercolor effect that you're noticing. This has been the case since at least the iPhone 5s... I remember returning mine after 1-2 days specifically because of how awful the pictures it took were.

Additionally, Apple puts space savings higher up on the pedestal than image quality. They will degrade your image quality to save a MB if they give themselves the choice. This is why they're pushing HEIC, even though the quality is clearly [quite a bit] worse than JPEG... Why? Cause it saves some space.

https://www.kirkville.com/do-heic-photos-really-look-this-bad/

I think this attitude is a vestige of them keeping 16GB Base SKU iPhones on the market "too long."

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've owned several generations of iPhones and this was always the look of the photos. In good lighting the effect is much less pronounced and in some cases non-existent. It gets worse with worse lighting conditions as there is more software based post-processing done to make the images look better on screen/small format print.

Note though that when viewing these images in print, or even digitally on television, you won't notice much of this post processing issue.

I'll try to get one shot printed and see, it's just very washed out, very low quality/detail

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll try to get one shot printed and see, it's just very washed out, very low quality/detail

The reason why the shots get worse as lighting conditions worsen is because there is more noise in low light photos. This means the software is doing more to try to eliminate the noise, which results in it having a bigger effect on image quality.

In daylight, the images are less noisy so you don't have nearly as much "left-overs" from the noise reduction and compression.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I understand that... I actually shoot Motorsports with my DSLR, however with the advent of kids, it's easier to use/carry around a mobile device to take their shots... Which I reiterate is a disappointment now

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No changes ...

ProCamera has finally received an update for iOS 11 just today.. Give it a shot and report your findings.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear. I have been waiting for ProCamera to be updated too.

Just an update...

Took some photos at different intervals this morning with varying results.

The lighting has to be perfect to get a detailed, sharp shot - if it isn't the watercolour effect returns ... This was comparison to subject being in full sunlight vs cloud cover

Currently considering either taking back up my spare SE or getting another S8+

The issue is there with the SE, but not as predominant

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to get one, but I'm going to wait until January or February when I can walk into a store and get one in the color and size I want (silver, 256GB).

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hoping to get one, but I have some decisions to make between now and Friday if the preorder is going to take a while, meaning if I won't get it launch day, how long before it shows up? If it's too long, I'll just get an 8 Plus and wait until next year. I just need to decide what my threshold for "too long" is ;)