Who’s getting one?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok, I've never really used it on my Plus and I don't really have large hands. I'm usually holding it in one hand and using it with the other though.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone X looks really nice to me, and I'm thinking about getting it. My only thing is I'm wondering how well it'll function of it there will be a lot of 'bugs', since everything is so 'new'. Will there be Display issues as there were with the Retina MBP when they came out.. or how there were issues with the Touch Bar when that was released.

The nice thing about the S models (and the iPhone 8 is essentially just an 7S) is that they were usually really stable compared to the previous years model. So I'm still undecided.

I know several people that feel this way, but the good thing about Apple is they back their products and there’s a store. I’ll take my device in, if it’s not functioning properly. I don’t know why people think they’re obligated to keep things that don’t work correctly.

Yeah it’s a really tough cookie LOL. I actually like the red in the crown, think it looks kind of cool. But being able to listen Music from my wrist over LTE, that’s dope!

I’ve been holding off on the watch. Now that its cellular, I’ll be getting one

Nope.
I feel that I can’t justify paying an extra $300 to not have a Home Button and get Animoji.
The X is an overpriced gimmick, as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t think it’s gimmicky. People love emojis & gifs, and I think Apple is testing this option out on this particular device before adding it to others. iMessage apps are huge right now and this is just another one. It’ll be discrete, if you don’t want to use it. As far as the cost, that all depends on the phone you have currently. iPhones have had home buttons for way too long, it’s time for a change!!

The last time a company targeted to only one segment, the so-called prosumer market, its OS died a painfully slow death. Actually it's still on life support.

An OS needs to make the transition from business to play, and back again.
My business iPhone is all business because it was handed to me as a business tool, but that is not the case for everyone. Some people use one device for all purposes. So if a person sends a **** emoji to their significant other, that person should be able to access gotomeeting the next day or edit excel spreadsheets on the fly.

The day a company creates an operating system that targets itself out of the flexibility to do both, it will go the way of those who previously made that mistake.

^EXACTLY!!!! Plus, It’s not a requirement to use emojis. Heck you don’t even see them unless you click on the globe. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am still using the 6plus, so I am probably going to buy the IPhone x. The facial recognition not working the first time when they were showing it off, is a little concerning. Apple usually has everything like that worked out.

Does anyone know if you are buying one outright, if they have an unlocked version that can work with any carrier?

iPhone 6/6s and below are unlocked phones, they changed that with the 7 but you can buy an unlocked phone outright.

Two things

#1 . The facial ID did not fail on the Keynote, if you see the screen, it required the unlock before using Face ID like a reboot does on the current iPhone.

#2 . No unlocked phone works with all carriers, as Verizon is different that AT&T. You need to know if you want a GSM or CDMA unlocked. Then you can decide. If CDMA, get it from Verizon or Apple, if GSM, than Apple. I don't think AT&T has unlocked direct purchase, as I tried last year, and I had to get the AT&T plan to get the phone.

Best but sells truly unlocked iPhones from Apple. Their phones all work with every carrier

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone 7 was a never really any better than the 6s Plus, and the 6s Plus was never really any better than the 6 Plus.

It is reliably reported that, were you a heavy user, the app loading and processing time of the 7 over the 6 for a full year would allow you to cook a three-minute egg!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is reliably reported that, were you a heavy user, the app loading and processing time of the 7 over the 6 for a full year would allow you to cook a three-minute egg!

Yep! All the hype about XX% faster is mostly a marketing tool. No one will honestly notice the difference in speed between the 7 Plus and the 8 Plus.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone 7 was a never really any better than the 6s Plus, and the 6s Plus was never really any better than the 6 Plus. I had them all. They all gave practically the same battery life. The increases that Apple quotes is based on extremely controlled testing conditions. These things never apply to real-world usage. It's basically marketing material - nothing more.

After a year with my 7+ vs. a year with my 6s+ (so both phones had time for the battery to have some wear etc.) and using the same apps and similar if not heavier usage, my 7+ typically has more battery life at the end of the day. I attribute that to the new processor with the low power cores in it and better power management. It's not some huge difference like 90% vs. 20% left but it's definitely noticeable. It will be interesting to see if iOS 11 destroys it though next week. If the X wasn't coming out though I'd probably be sticking with my 7+ for another year. The X just hits some of the final design things I was hoping Apple would come through on when I shifted from Android 2 years ago.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The day a company creates an operating system that targets itself out of the flexibility to do both, it will go the way of those who previously made that mistake.

Cool. But the iPhone X will forever be known as the Animated **** Emoji phone to me and many others, and I don't want to be associated with that.

If you're cool with that, awesome. Enjoy your iPhone X. But I'll be looking elsewhere.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Cool. But the iPhone X will forever be known as the Animated **** Emoji phone to me and many others, and I don't want to be associated with that.

If you're cool with that, awesome. Enjoy your iPhone X. But I'll be looking elsewhere.

LOL. Like we needed it to be animated too.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Actually I'm not getting the X. Because it doesn't have expanded storage.

But if it did I'd get it. Because I wouldn't let an emoji keep me from something I want.

Your mileage may vary.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as I’m concerned, the more people complain about how they aren’t getting it, the better. Easier for me to get mine that way.

Although some of the “complaints” are real stretches, IMO. There’s venom underlying it towards both the phone and the people who want to get it, and for the life of me I don’t understand why. The “animated **** emoji phone”thing, as an example. I won’t use that feature. It’s not why I’m getting it. I’m getting it for the screen real estate in the smaller body - and if that means I’m “associated” with a phone in a somehow negative way...

Well, I don’t get the snide tone to that. Sorry, but that seems a bit condescending. Also, it’s just a smartphone. Why is there a association being made between a person and a cell phone? It’s like the people who thought they’re important because they owned a Blackberry, back in the day.

I just don’t get it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I’m getting it for the screen real estate in the smaller body -

^^^ This right here is like 80-85% of why I want it. No home button is another. Not counting my Lumia 1020 experiment my other two phones before jumping to Apple were Android phones without capacitive or physical buttons on the front, just on-screen navigation. It makes for a really nice looking device and with the way navigation works on an iPhone anyway, it's going to be great after people take a couple days to get used to a swipe up instead of single/double/whatever pressing a home button.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
My all time favourite phone is my old Palm Pre.

Seeing gestures from WebOS made my heart sing. Lol.

All this talk about “ZOMGELEVENTY APPLE RIPPED OFF BB10”...bish please, BB10 ripped off Palm, pipe down.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If I were upgrading, here's why I would prefer the 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus over the iPhone X.
Screen real estate is a major factor for me. The 5.8" X screen is the exact same width as the 4.7" models. That diagonal measurement is steep. The X screen is simply a little taller than the 7 screen. The aspect ratio is different. Photos and videos made on the 7 and 7 Plus will be cropped on the X in full edge to edge. You can tap the screen twice, and it will show the images in full, but they won't be full edge to edge. I prefer the 5.5" screen that's wider in its aspect ratio. I have too many custom wallpapers I would have to edit to fit the X. My existing photos and videos would not show in full edge to edge on the X.
Don't get me wrong, the iPhone X is a very nice formidable smartphone. But I'm not sure I'd like the tall skinny screen. I'll wait until next year and see what is offered then.
Price is another factor. There's nothing I see with the X that justifies paying $200 more. Others may defer, and that's a personal decision.
Here's the difference between the 4.7" models and the X screens. The gray area is the 4.7", and the blue shows the additional area of the 5.8" X.
Screenshot courtesy: Apple Inc.
1a121e672805a3a054136aece97b69f9.png

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My all time favourite phone is my old Palm Pre.

Seeing gestures from WebOS made my heart sing. Lol.

All this talk about “ZOMGELEVENTY APPLE RIPPED OFF BB10”...bish please, BB10 ripped off Palm, pipe down.

In all honesty I think I've seen that mentioned twice. But I've seen you mention it a lot. You're not wrong but you could probably point it out and move on. I'm happy to see gestures come back as well for the record. I'm just not going to spend $1200 plus after taxes for them. But I have no issue with anyone who is willing to do so. It's just not for me.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If I were upgrading, here's why I would prefer the 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus over the iPhone X.
Screen real estate is a major factor for me. The 5.8" X screen is the exact same width as the 4.7" models. That diagonal measurement is steep. The X screen is simply a little taller than the 7 screen. The aspect ratio is different. Photos and videos made on the 7 and 7 Plus will be cropped on the X in full edge to edge. You can tap the screen twice, and it will show the images in full, but they won't be full edge to edge. I prefer the 5.5" screen that's wider in its aspect ratio. I have too many custom wallpapers I would have to edit to fit the X. My existing photos and videos would not show in full edge to edge on the X.
Don't get me wrong, the iPhone X is a very nice formidable smartphone. But I'm not sure I'd like the tall skinny screen. I'll wait until next year and see what is offered then.
Price is another factor. There's nothing I see with the X that justifies paying $200 more. Others may defer, and that's a personal decision.
Here's the difference between the 4.7" models and the X screens. The gray area is the 4.7", and the blue shows the additional area of the 5.8" X.
Screenshot courtesy: Apple Inc.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/1a121e672805a3a054136aece97b69f9.png

As with ALL new tech, there will be pros, cons and adjustments. It was the same way going from a 5s to a 6 Plus. It is what it is. Welcome to the future.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I disagree. I think it will be forever known as "Edge to Edge"..FINALLY. I'm not sure about many others either, but it's ok not to like what others do and of course you don't have to associate yourself with a device. I can guarantee you that Apple will sell plenty of the iPhone known as "X"

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Screenshot courtesy: Apple Inc.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/1a121e672805a3a054136aece97b69f9.png
I agree with this whole-heartedly. The X is very nice. But it’s a design project, in my eyes. I’ll go with a future-gen instead.

Here’s another comparison.

f67e6b85094ffda6b918760804fe424a.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR