Who’s getting one?

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
It works perfect for me because I wanted to down size from my 7 Plus and I get more screen with it too. Sign me up!

Last edited:

Jerome86

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The notch is hideous when watching movies. Will they try to still embed a scanner in the screen for next year? I will sit this one out. Note 8 has me intrigued though. Like the virtual home button set up better then swipe. Always like the control center swiped from bottom. So easy. Now change that around. Ugh.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Definitely planning on going for the X in 64GB to replace my 7+ in 128 (I'm not even using anywhere near 64GB after a year on my 7+ just couldn't do 32 on it). It's the larger screen size, and of course bigger than the 7/8+ even but in a size almost the size of the non plus models which is what I've been hoping Apple would do since I jumped ship from being a longtime Android user 2 years ago. I'm also on the Upgrade Program so it's ridiculously easy to just say "I'm getting it" anyway. However once I get it I could see myself holding onto it through the next cycle unless there's something really compelling again (like 7 vs X etc.). If it's just a "minor" update like 7 to 8 then I'll probably skip and maybe finally grab a Watch.

The only thing I need to figure out in advance is color. I'm tempted by the white with the black face but the chrome band looks a little over the top. I can't find a good pic/video/whatever yet that shows a hands on with the space gray one to see if it's also a chrome band or not though. Everyone is showing off all the angle of the white one. What angles I've seen it looks like it might be a black stainless like the watches use which would look nice for sure.

Space Grey is the way to go

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This will be my last for a while. I’ve upgraded every year since the beginning but I can’t see them coming up with anything more extraordinary after this. All I’ve been waiting for is for them to ditch the home button and chop some of the bezel.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am really going back and forth on it. I like the look of the X. The screen will be amazing and its just overall a smaller phone with no bezels. It is the future of smartphones.

The issue is that right now, I think Face ID might have some growing pains that I am not ready to deal with, plus app devs have to figure out how to use that screen. Its a nice phone but the 8+ will probably be the one I upgrade to. Probably after the holidays as I have other priorities for the time being.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people keep saying the "White One" when it's silver.

Also the band around both are also silver, not darker, you're seeing reflections.

Rumor has it, (so far) that stock will be very limited, so anyone ordering the phone on Preorder will need to be very quick and take what's available. If it was anything like the 7, you have about 10 min to place your order. I hesitated for a second and was going to change the GB on my 7 and it was gone from my cart before I could make the change. And that was 12:10am PST.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am. Silver for me - I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I’m also laughing at all the “omg they copied BB10” because BB10 absolutely ripped off Palm...but no one seems to remember that.

As soon as I saw that it was like my beloved Pre had a baby with an iPhone, I was in.

I don’t watch movies on a phone so the notch is a non-issue.

Really love it - now it’s just 64 or 256. My 7 Plus is 128 and I only used 24 of it so...and I’m eyeing that Ultraviolet colour case too. Hard. Heh.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No 'Reachability' knocked it dead for me personally. The 8 Plus just got a whole lot more attractive for me

Yeah that’s a bummer. I use it all of the time. I’m hoping the smaller form factor is enough to make up for not having Reachability.

Not sure why people keep saying the "White One" when it's silver.

People are calling it white because it looks white. I only know it’s silver because Apple said so.

MBC

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm in. This is what the iPhone will ultimately be, so you may as well get used to it now. Definitely too pricey, but early adopters always pay more. Prices will come down if you're willing to wait a year, which is fine - do what's best for your needs. As far as the FaceID failing, the first iPhone that Craig used was not a fail. It was in a reboot state and the same happens with TouchID. Whoever set up the phone didn't have it ready for the presentation, and I'm sure is paying the price for that now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The X screen is actually kind of thin and tall. It crops photos and videos in the full screen mode. IDK. I think I would prefer the wider screen of the 8 Plus. Not to mention the $200 (give or take a few) price difference. Plus, Applecare+ will be $50 more for the X.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The X screen is actually kind of thin and tall. It crops photos and videos in the full screen mode. IDK. I think I would prefer the wider screen of the 8 Plus. Not to mention the $200 (give or take a few) price difference. Plus, Applecare+ will be $50 more for the X.

There will definitely be an adjustment going from an iPhone 6/6s/7/8 pluses that has had the same design for the last four years. I welcomed the changed from a 5s to a 6 Plus and I really like the change that the iPhone X is going to have. Will it take some getting use too...YES, but bring it on. I'm up for that challenge.

dougie013

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I am still using the 6plus, so I am probably going to buy the IPhone x. The facial recognition not working the first time when they were showing it off, is a little concerning. Apple usually has everything like that worked out.

Does anyone know if you are buying one outright, if they have an unlocked version that can work with any carrier?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am still using the 6plus, so I am probably going to buy the IPhone x. The facial recognition not working the first time when they were showing it off, is a little concerning. Apple usually has everything like that worked out.

Does anyone know if you are buying one outright, if they have an unlocked version that can work with any carrier?

Two things

#1 . The facial ID did not fail on the Keynote, if you see the screen, it required the unlock before using Face ID like a reboot does on the current iPhone.

#2 . No unlocked phone works with all carriers (internationally), as Verizon is different that AT&T. You need to know if you want a GSM or CDMA unlocked. Then you can decide. If CDMA, get it from Verizon or Apple, if GSM, than Apple. I don't think AT&T has unlocked direct purchase, as I tried last year, and I had to get the AT&T plan to get the phone. I was told Best Buy sold them last year too. I do believe if you never intend on leaving the USA that any unlocked phone will work.

Last edited:

dougie013

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Two things

#1 . The facial ID did not fail on the Keynote, if you see the screen, it required the unlock before using Face ID like a reboot does on the current iPhone.

#2 . No unlocked phone works with all carriers, as Verizon is different that AT&T. You need to know if you want a GSM or CDMA unlocked. Then you can decide. If CDMA, get it from Verizon or Apple, if GSM, than Apple. I don't think AT&T has unlocked direct purchase, as I tried last year, and I had to get the AT&T plan to get the phone.

I have an IPhone 6plus unlocked and have been able to use it anywhere. Both att and Verizon. Maybe I was lucky, but it does work anywhere.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I was confused by the resolution on it but then I realized something. It's basically a cinema widescreen ratio of close to 2.39:1 vs. the standard HD resolution of 16x9. This means the super widescreen type movies that normally display with bars on the top & bottom still on your TV and Plus iPhones would have a lot less bar on an X.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Would you need reachability for something the size of a non-plus model? I ask because the X is nearly the same size as the non-plus phone. It's significantly smaller than the plus.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...-Plus,Apple-iPhone-8/phones/10414,10411,10408
Definitely. I'm currently using the Huawei P10 (145.3 x 69.3 x 7 mm) which is practically identical in size to the iPhone X (143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm) and I use One Handed Mode constantly because when holding it normally, my thumb only reaches ¾ of the way up the other side of the screen and I don't have small hands. My P10 has a top and bottom bezel so the iPhone X screen would be even further out of reach being 'all screen'.
Don't get me wrong having it on phone's isn't an absolute necessity but once you've been using it on various phones it certainly makes life with a large screen phone so much easier.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro