Who’s getting one?

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Other than a couple of flirtations with the “dark side” I’ve been an iPhone guy since the iPhone 4. I tried (and loved) the Note 7 last year until it’s untimely demise and I’m really feeling like Samsung’s Note 8 is the superior offering this year. Coupled with the good discount I can get as a Note 7 owner, I’m sorely tempted to step away for at least this year and give the N8 a go. I just have so much money invested in iOS apps and music it’s difficult to pull the trigger on the preorder.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. Before the Apple event I was all about the X. I watched most of the keynote today - I thought the X looked good but it didn't blow me away. TBH, I think the device is insanely overpriced for what you're getting. After that, I thought the 8 Plus was where I was going. Then I read articles online and swung back over to the X. Now I'm thinking 8 Plus. I think the big draw for me to the 8 Plus is that I can still use my cases from my 7 Plus, it has wireless charging and basically all of the other features of the X (except edge to edge screen, Face I'd and a bit better of a camera - none of these really wow me). I need to figure this out soon because if I'm going with the 8 Plus, I want to preorder on Friday!

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I bet if we looked back at this time last year, most people would be saying the same thing about the iPhone 7/7Plus. And the year before that they would say the same about the 6S/6S Plus.. but I'm sure a lot of people still bought those phones.

The iPhone X looks really nice to me, and I'm thinking about getting it. My only thing is I'm wondering how well it'll function of it there will be a lot of 'bugs', since everything is so 'new'. Will there be Display issues as there were with the Retina MBP when they came out.. or how there were issues with the Touch Bar when that was released.

The nice thing about the S models (and the iPhone 8 is essentially just an 7S) is that they were usually really stable compared to the previous years model. So I'm still undecided.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This was one the most confusing and disappointing Apple events I have watched. I went in ready to buy the next phone and came out confused and unenthusiastic about any of the models.

Now don't get me wrong. Apple showed us three decent phones. The 8 is nice and would probably be an good upgrade if it was called the 7s as it seemed to hit all the right things for an "s" type upgrade but it did pack in a little more than the usual "s" upgrade.

The X is just confusing. I'm not sure what Apple has set out to do here. A screen to edge display is great but the phone feels like a lot of compromises to achieve that goal. Face ID was was barely demoed at the keynote. This is a huge change and possible regression for iOS. Welcome back swipe to unlock! In order to accommodate this feature, they had to cut away a section of the screen and add an extra step to Apple Pay. Maybe a fingerprint scanner in a side button would have been more impressive and less intrusive.

In order to accommodate the screen, they had to move control center to the upper right, Notification Center to the upper left, Siri to a side button, create a new awkward gesture to get into multitasking menu, and create an extra step to dismiss apps(Welcome back circle with a red x!). Yes these are things one can get used to but they also seem like somewhat clumsy solutions to accommodate this screen. On this new iphone things operate this way but on this other new iphone they operate this way.

So am I going to get the X? I don't know. This is not the feeling I was expecting to have after this keynote. I'm probably going to have to wait for the reviews because I need to see how it performs out in the world. That also means I won't be ordering the 8 this week as I probably have to wait an additional month or more before any X reviews come out and I'll feel like I'll be better informed to make the decision.

tl/dr I don't know

rodeTrip

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
It didn't work for the guy on stage at the Keynote.

it wasnt a fail on face id. the phone just required a passcode after restarting or turning on. just like on the 7, you need to enter passcode after reboot before touch id. someone obviously didnt prepare the phone correctly before giving it to the presenter!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I’m so torn this year. I really don’t know what to do. I’m for sure getting the Series 3  Watch. But with iPhone X I’m still on the fence. I’ll have to play with it at the Apple store to get a feel for it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’m so torn this year. I really don’t know what to do. I’m for sure getting the Series 3  Watch. But with iPhone X I’m still on the fence. I’ll have to play with it at the Apple store to get a feel for it.

Which Apple Watch do you currently own? And which model of the Series 3 are you planning to get?

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 6s, it’s 16GB and is running horrendously slow on storage so I was looking for a reason to upgrade. I never had any intention of an iPhone X but was interested in the 8 or 8 plus.

I watched the launch (which dropped out a lot) and was still interested. Thought the announced prices were fair enough, did the maths and converted the price for UK and thought I’d definitely go for one.

Then go to Apple website and find they didn’t do the maths! Just swapped $ sign for £ sign.

I don’t like being ripped off so I’m not buying one.

I don’t know if I’m alone here but I feel the pricing structure just shows that every UK customer is being ripped off in comparison to every USA customer.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6s, it’s 16GB and is running horrendously slow on storage so I was looking for a reason to upgrade. I never had any intention of an iPhone X but was interested in the 8 or 8 plus.

I watched the launch (which dropped out a lot) and was still interested. Thought the announced prices were fair enough, did the maths and converted the price for UK and thought I’d definitely go for one.

Then go to Apple website and find they didn’t do the maths! Just swapped $ sign for £ sign.

I don’t like being ripped off so I’m not buying one.

I don’t know if I’m alone here but I feel the pricing structure just shows that every UK customer is being ripped off in comparison to every USA customer.

You’re not wrong... the pricing in Australia is insanely expensive.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always wanted the Space Black, it’s super cool. Did it held up well over time? And does the red dot on the crown not bother you?

Yeah it’s a really tough cookie LOL. I actually like the red in the crown, think it looks kind of cool. But being able to listen Music from my wrist over LTE, that’s dope!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh