I disagree. I think it will be forever known as "Edge to Edge"..FINALLY. I'm not sure about many others either, but it's ok not to like what others do and of course you don't have to associate yourself with a device. I can guarantee you that Apple will sell plenty of the iPhone known as "X"
    Except it's not Edge to Edge.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-10-2017 12:32 AM
    Thanks BK. I welcome the change. Kinda tired of the HUGE bezels over the last three years. Bring on the X and whatever the ratio is...LOL
    That aspect ratio is terrible for productivity, since it forces everything to zoom out in Portrait Mode, and introduces black bar for video (unless you're okay with it obscuring part of the video when you "zoom" it in).

Office Documents, PDFs, Photos, Videos, Web Pages, etc. are all stuffed onto a narrower screen. This makes everything smaller on the display, so you end up zooming more, or scrolling more.

Once you eliminate the horn area, you end up with a display that is roughly equivalent to the iPhone Plus model, except it's narrower and somewhat taller.

Apple Measures display size diagonally, so they're counting the horns in the display size. Technically valid, but practically the space up there is insignificant.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-10-2017 12:37 AM
    That has been a problem since the iPhone 5s. I remember getting one and returning it within a day or two because of the watercolor-like photos. Strangely, the iPhone 6 Plus was substantially better, and then it came back with the iPhone 6s Plus. It has been this way ever since. I think some people may not understand what the problem is, because they're just used to the images looking like that. It is very noticeable when you move to the iPhone from something like a Pixel, Galaxy S/Note, or LG devices, though - since those phones tend to capture more detailed images than the iPhone.

I think it's because Apple post processes images aggressively to save space. HEIF also loses quality compared to JPEG, so you end up with smudgy pictures if you use that format. If you care about image quality, you should not be using the HEIF option. It worsens the situation.
    tr1ad likes this.
    10-10-2017 12:47 AM
    Thanks for that point.
    I really am disappointed in the compression ratio
    10-10-2017 12:54 AM
    Except it's not Edge to Edge.
    No it's not, but it's a lot closer to edge to edge than any other Apple iPhone released.
    10-10-2017 10:07 AM
    If it's a software issue, have you tried shooting with a 3rd party app and using RAW instead? Or does it do the same processing to the raw data before creating the file?
    10-10-2017 02:41 PM
    If it's a software issue, have you tried shooting with a 3rd party app and using RAW instead? Or does it do the same processing to the raw data before creating the file?
    No changes ...
    I've purchased manual, ProCamera, tried using Lightroom etc as well

One would think it may be a one off issue ... But for my wife's 7, my previous 7+ and now the 8+ to share the same issue... It's just very very odd
    10-10-2017 02:44 PM
    No changes ...

One would think it may be a one off issue ... But for my wife's 7, my previous 7+ and now the 8+ to share the same issue... It's just very very odd
    I've owned several generations of iPhones and this was always the look of the photos. In good lighting the effect is much less pronounced and in some cases non-existent. It gets worse with worse lighting conditions as there is more software based post-processing done to make the images look better on screen/small format print.

Note though that when viewing these images in print, or even digitally on television, you won't notice much of this post processing issue.
    tr1ad likes this.
    10-10-2017 03:50 PM
    No changes ...

It's not odd. It's normal. Apple does a massive amount of compression on Photos. This is why iPhone photos are considerably smaller than the photos of Android camera phones with similar resolution camera modules. It's also why iPhones tend to lack in detail compared i.e. Samsung Phones. The compression loses quality, and the noise reduction is incredibly high in their post processing.

This results in the loss of a lot of fine detail, which leads to the watercolor effect that you're noticing. This has been the case since at least the iPhone 5s... I remember returning mine after 1-2 days specifically because of how awful the pictures it took were.

Additionally, Apple puts space savings higher up on the pedestal than image quality. They will degrade your image quality to save a MB if they give themselves the choice. This is why they're pushing HEIC, even though the quality is clearly [quite a bit] worse than JPEG... Why? Cause it saves some space.

https://www.kirkville.com/do-heic-ph...look-this-bad/

I think this attitude is a vestige of them keeping 16GB Base SKU iPhones on the market "too long."
    tr1ad likes this.
    10-10-2017 03:50 PM
    I've owned several generations of iPhones and this was always the look of the photos. In good lighting the effect is much less pronounced and in some cases non-existent. It gets worse with worse lighting conditions as there is more software based post-processing done to make the images look better on screen/small format print.

Note though that when viewing these images in print, or even digitally on television, you won't notice much of this post processing issue.
    I'll try to get one shot printed and see, it's just very washed out, very low quality/detail
    10-10-2017 03:52 PM
    I'll try to get one shot printed and see, it's just very washed out, very low quality/detail
    The reason why the shots get worse as lighting conditions worsen is because there is more noise in low light photos. This means the software is doing more to try to eliminate the noise, which results in it having a bigger effect on image quality.

In daylight, the images are less noisy so you don't have nearly as much "left-overs" from the noise reduction and compression.
    robertk328 likes this.
    10-10-2017 05:36 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that... I actually shoot Motorsports with my DSLR, however with the advent of kids, it's easier to use/carry around a mobile device to take their shots... Which I reiterate is a disappointment now
    10-10-2017 06:19 PM
    No changes ...

ProCamera has finally received an update for iOS 11 just today.. Give it a shot and report your findings.
    10-10-2017 08:39 PM
    Just checked for an update so will see how it goes.

Thanks for the heads up
    10-10-2017 09:00 PM
    ProCamera has finally received an update for iOS 11 just today.. Give it a shot and report your findings.
    Seems to be much improved under Dual Camera shots with HEIC format!
    scruffypig likes this.
    10-11-2017 09:10 AM
    Good to hear. I have been waiting for ProCamera to be updated too.
    10-11-2017 12:16 PM
    Good to hear. I have been waiting for ProCamera to be updated too.
    Just an update...

Took some photos at different intervals this morning with varying results.

The lighting has to be perfect to get a detailed, sharp shot - if it isn't the watercolour effect returns ... This was comparison to subject being in full sunlight vs cloud cover

Currently considering either taking back up my spare SE or getting another S8+

The issue is there with the SE, but not as predominant
    10-13-2017 10:07 AM
    I plan to get the unlocked one but I don't know when they sell it . I want to use it globally.
    10-21-2017 11:47 PM
    I'm going to get one, but I'm going to wait until January or February when I can walk into a store and get one in the color and size I want (silver, 256GB).
    10-22-2017 07:19 PM
    I'm going to get one, but I'm going to wait until January or February when I can walk into a store and get one in the color and size I want (silver, 256GB).
    You can try and see if you’ll be able to grab one during pre order.
    10-22-2017 07:56 PM
    You can try and see if you’ll be able to grab one during pre order.
    Nah. I don't want to have to deal with all of that. Besides, I have my iPhone 8 Plus to tie me over until then.
    10-22-2017 11:37 PM
    Nah. I don't want to have to deal with all of that. Besides, I have my iPhone 8 Plus to tie me over until then.
    Lucky you!
    You get to own and use the 8 and the X.
    10-24-2017 07:00 AM
    Hoping to get one, but I have some decisions to make between now and Friday if the preorder is going to take a while, meaning if I won't get it launch day, how long before it shows up? If it's too long, I'll just get an 8 Plus and wait until next year. I just need to decide what my threshold for "too long" is
    10-24-2017 07:09 AM
198 ... 678