New 2020 iPhone SE Looks Interesting

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Thanks G, I am aware of that camera app. I just haven’t downloaded it to my iPhone 8 to try it out as of yet.

Eventually I will get it to see how it functions on the 8.

I would not draw any conclusions from testing on the 8. On the SE there is significantly improved imaging software, and much more processing power. Halide even released a version that was optimized for the SE, just a few days ago.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’m all in on the phone for many reasons. The only negative nobody seems to be addressing is battery life. Specs show 1800mAh in line with people moving from a 6, 7, or 8. However, many people want to go back to a smaller device and a home button. That describes me. My 11 Pro and XS get a bit over 3000mAh. Has anyone gone from a X, XS, 11, etc that can speak to battery power? Thanks!!! Loving the idea of the SE model, but nervous I’ll be charging constantly.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I’m all in on the phone for many reasons. The only negative nobody seems to be addressing is battery life. Specs show 1800mAh in line with people moving from a 6, 7, or 8. However, many people want to go back to a smaller device and a home button. That describes me. My 11 Pro and XS get a bit over 3000mAh. Has anyone gone from a X, XS, 11, etc that can speak to battery power? Thanks!!! Loving the idea of the SE model, but nervous I’ll be charging constantly.
I would call my use profile medium intensity. ~10 Emails per day, 2 or 3 phone calls, several chats on Telegram, lots of Twitter (read only), watching 1 or 2 short videos, workout & food tracking, etc.
While (theoretically, see the comment below) I'd have to charge the 11 Pro every other day only, I charge the SE daily. I would say the 11 Pro lasts 1.5 to 2 days, and the SE 1 to 1.5 days, with my particular use profile.
By 1.5 days I mean starting to use the SE at ~8am, and at midnight it's still at ~15-20% when I put it on the charger over night. So it's pretty good for a device that skinny imho. I do not think that I will ever have to recharge the SE during the day.
I do not have a problem with charging the SE daily, as I did so with the 11 Pro too, despite it lasting longer, as I wanted to always have a 100% charge in the morning. I am not sure the 11 Pro would have lasted 2 full days without having to recharge during day 2.
For me, the SE's battery is totally sufficient to get me through (almost more than) a day. Users with a significantly higher workload might have to recharge during the day though.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I’m not yet persuaded that the 2020 SE has enough advantages over the 2016 version for it to be worthwhile, for my usage at least. Overall performance is better, but not fantastically so. At the same time, I’d have to try to use a larger device one-handed, and adjust to using a Power button in a different, and rather awkward, position. The 2020 is good, but I can’t think of any obvious reason that the smaller body could not have been used again, with improved internal gubbins.

I think the big reason for updating would be for iOS updates; the old SE is near the end, it may not get iOS 14 (whenever the next major version is released) whereas you should get 5 years of updates for the new SE. Beyond that -- better pictures, portrait mode, wireless charging, IP67 water resistance, better TouchID (2nd Gen vs. 1st Gen), and faster charging.

Of course, only you can decide if any of that is enough to convince you to upgrade.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I think so too! My sister currently has an iPhone 7 and she's having charging issues. She has been laid off and worried about the expense of a new iPhone. Since she really doesn't really care much about all the various features of the iPhone, I think that the new SE is a really good option for her.

I had the same problem with my iPhone 7. I was previously in the forums as Gavino12123 but got locked out somehow. I traded up to the iPhone 8 so if the charging port does go bad I can still charge it wirelessly which I do most of the time. Upgrading to the new SE

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
yes.
https://www.imore.com/no-good-reason-iphone-se-2020-be-missing-haptic-touch-notifications
It's a shame. Clearly chicanery. There is no technical reason at all to remove this feature: 1. it's SW only, since force touch got replaced by haptic touch. 2. it works everywhere, also on the SE 2020, except on its lock screen.

I think it should be users choice but I under the security nature. If you the SE allowed replies from home screen then anyone could see and respond to your messages, right? It’s not like FaceID.

With FaceID it’s two steps. The Face allows it to be used, but the swipe up truly unlocks it. So if there’s a message on the lock screen your face is recognized and you can respond without actually truly unlocking.

With a home button, as soon as you would touch the home button it would unlock and go past your lock screen and you’d have to go to the message app anyway.

So I guess the point is you’d need to give up a bit of security on the SE to allow for responding on the lock screen. Message is a bit convoluted but hopefully makes sense.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I think it should be users choice but I under the security nature. If you the SE allowed replies from home screen then anyone could see and respond to your messages, right? It’s not like FaceID.

With FaceID it’s two steps. The Face allows it to be used, but the swipe up truly unlocks it. So if there’s a message on the lock screen your face is recognized and you can respond without actually truly unlocking.

With a home button, as soon as you would touch the home button it would unlock and go past your lock screen and you’d have to go to the message app anyway.

So I guess the point is you’d need to give up a bit of security on the SE to allow for responding on the lock screen. Message is a bit convoluted but hopefully makes sense.

Just to clarify, I referred to in my comment were the options quick reply, mark read and delete, from the notification on the lock screen, by use of force touch or haptic touch.

However, have these particular force/haptic touch actions not been working on the 8, even on the 7 (but I admit I no longer have a 7 or 8 to try it out), w/o security issues? If yes, then my statement that there is no technical reason for not providing this feature on the SE2020 still stands.

And should there in fact be a security concern over the quick reply feature, why not at least continue to giving users the delete and mark read feature? These are the ones that I personally miss the most.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Just to clarify, I referred to in my comment were the options quick reply, mark read and delete, from the notification on the lock screen, by use of force touch or haptic touch.

However, have these particular force/haptic touch actions not been working on the 8, even on the 7 (but I admit I no longer have a 7 or 8 to try it out), w/o security issues? If yes, then my statement that there is no technical reason for not providing this feature on the SE2020 still stands.

And should there in fact be a security concern over the quick reply feature, why not at least continue to giving users the delete and mark read feature? These are the ones that I personally miss the most.

Totally understand. To my knowledge and based on the article linked a few posts up, the iPhone 8 by default didn’t allow for expanding notifications on the lock screen. However, you could toggle the settings to absolutely 100% allow taking action from the lock screen including reply, delete, mark read, clear, etc.

Thus, there is no reason at all that it can’t be done on the SE other than it simply can’t be done or at least at the time of the article and release couldn’t be done.

Again, I agree it should be the users choice and luckily my friends and I have grown up quite a bit in the last few years, but toggle that ability to reply on and I know some idiots that would be responding quickly on others phones while they weren’t looking lol. Or fathers deleting messages on their teenage daughters phones from unwanted teenage boys

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My Father just bought the new iPhone SE 2020 to replace his iPhone 4s and after I set it up for him he can’t believe how smooth and snappy it is

I have the 11 Pro Max but after handling the new SE I really like this phone

8d9b9b8c9623533c747851074e53ea93.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I spent quite a bit of time playing with my sister’s new SE and I’m very impressed with it. It’s perfect for her and her needs. She is not interested in a lot of extra features that I would be interested in. That said if I weren’t interested in extra features like camera etc. I would definitely be looking seriously at purchasing this new SE!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 2020 SE. I used it for less than 24 hours before going back to my 11 Pro. I think the 2020 SE is a great device but not if you already have one of the current gen iPhones. Now, if I was coming from an 8 or
Something it’d be a welcome upgrade.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I spent quite a bit of time playing with my sister’s new SE and I’m very impressed with it. It’s perfect for her and her needs. She is not interested in a lot of extra features that I would be interested in. That said if I weren’t interested in extra features like camera etc. I would definitely be looking seriously at purchasing this new SE!

Same here ! I love the size and form of it BUT....it doesn’t have portrait mode and that’s a deal breaker for me. I really wanted one and was ready to get it but I can’t do without that !

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I plan to upgrade my mom to the iPhone 2020 SE when she's ready to let go of her iPhone 7 which she dearly loves sometime this year.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here ! I love the size and form of it BUT....it doesn’t have portrait mode and that’s a deal breaker for me. I really wanted one and was ready to get it but I can’t do without that !

It has portrait mode on front and rear except for non humans. Is that what you mean. Wasn’t sure and didn’t want you to not get it if you didn’t mind it just being for people.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR