Rumor: New SE coming in Spring of 2020??!!??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Possible good news for SE lovers... I just read on MacRumors that there are reports that Apple is planning on launching a new low-cost 4.7 iPhone in the Spring of 2020!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
If it is physically bigger than the current SE I would have zero interest. The 6/7/8 4.7" form factor is just big enough for me to not be easy to use single handed, but without a screen that is significant enough to warrant that trade off. Now if they put a 4.7" screen in the old SE form factor, count me in (and I previously had no intention of buying a new phone within the next 1-2 years).

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If it is physically bigger than the current SE I would have zero interest. The 6/7/8 4.7" form factor is just big enough for me to not be easy to use single handed, but without a screen that is significant enough to warrant that trade off. Now if they put a 4.7" screen in the old SE form factor, count me in (and I previously had no intention of buying a new phone within the next 1-2 years).

I agree after reading the iMore article it appears it will be a hopped Up i8 so I wouldn’t be interested at any price point

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Kind of makes me wonder what their angle is considering they already have three current iPhone models, including a “low cost” iPhone XR (and whatever it’s successor will be). Then again there is a segment of users who don’t need every bell and whistle and like the smaller display and form factor. I can see it selling well overseas especially.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The article I did read did mention a 4.7 inch iPhone... I think that the timing is odd too. But, maybe Apple is making an effort in attracting users who prefer a less expensive, smaller model. Time will tell, I guess.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I find this interesting and have been following the rumors of an SE2 for a while.
Part of me understands the strategy behind an SE. Being truly mobile should not mean having to carry a large device 24/7, it should mean having what amounts to basic mobile needs with us everywhere easily and efficiently. If I need more than that I can bring my iPad Pro. Text, email, weather, the basics done well. That’s what the SE2 should be.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I believe an edge to edge full screen SE would would be approximately 4.7”....just a thought. If you place an SE on top of a 6,7, or 8 the SE I pretty sure fits right in the screen portion if that makes sense.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I find this interesting and have been following the rumors of an SE2 for a while.
Part of me understands the strategy behind an SE. Being truly mobile should not mean having to carry a large device 24/7, it should mean having what amounts to basic mobile needs with us everywhere easily and efficiently. If I need more than that I can bring my iPad Pro. Text, email, weather, the basics done well. That’s what the SE2 should be.

I honestly would be down with a $400 iPhone 8 style with updated cpu. I love my X but for less money I would take the SE2 and run and use my iPad pro for everything else!

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
According to the rumours the successor to the iPhone SE will simply be an updated iPhone 8 with the A12/A13 processor and MAYBE a slightly better camera and bigger battery (like the one on the XR).

So if you were hoping for an OLED display, new tech or a better design then I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed. You’ll be getting the same old 4.7 inch Retina LCD and thick bezels.

On the plus side, TouchID should be back! :)

However the success of this new possible device all depends on its price. Ideally it would be under $500...above that I’m not too sure that it will sell well.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
According to the rumours the successor to the iPhone SE will simply be an updated iPhone 8 with the A12/A13 processor and MAYBE a slightly better camera and bigger battery (like the one on the XR).

So if you were hoping for an OLED display, new tech or a better design then I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed. You’ll be getting the same old 4.7 inch Retina LCD and thick bezels.

On the plus side, TouchID should be back! :)

However the success of this new possible device all depends on its price. Ideally it would be under $500...above that I’m not too sure that it will sell well.

Yup. The Xr and all future iterations would need to stay at aroun $750 (should be $700). A budget iphone would need to be less than $500 to separate the 2 phones. Then the Pro models be $1000 and up.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I guess it makes sense that a new SE is based on the 8 chassis with XR internals when the 11 will be the current model. The old was based on the 5S chassis with 6S internals when the 7 was the current. It was just wishful thinking that it would still be a small budget device.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
If a new SE has a full screen without the start button I'll buy it. Same form factor with a larger screen! Otherwise I'll keep the one I have.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Kind of makes me wonder what their angle is considering they already have three current iPhone models, including a “low cost” iPhone XR (and whatever it’s successor will be). Then again there is a segment of users who don’t need every bell and whistle and like the smaller display and form factor. I can see it selling well overseas especially.

Hopefully the new SE will be made for people like me,that don’t like the move to big phones. I have XL hands but don’t have any need for a phone that won’t fit comfortably in a jeans pocket.
Full screen,SE original size, thick enough to take a decent battery,and waterproof, that will do it !

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If a new SE has a full screen without the start button I'll buy it. Same form factor with a larger screen! Otherwise I'll keep the one I have.

Rumored to have a similar design to iPhone 8 but with the same A13 processor found in iPhone 11. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Face ID on that small of a phone until Apple finds a way to decrease the size of the notch.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/apple-to-release-smaller-cheaper-iphone-se2-in-early-2020-report/

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the new SE will be made for people like me,that don’t like the move to big phones. I have XL hands but don’t have any need for a phone that won’t fit comfortably in a jeans pocket.
Full screen,SE original size, thick enough to take a decent battery,and waterproof, that will do it !

Doesn’t seem like full screen will make the cut but there’s a decent chance the rest will be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2