With the announcement of the 3 new iPhone X models, it seems that the prices of the iPhones just keep going up, with almost no new features/innovations beyond using newer CPUs. The Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also been removed.

Is it just me who thinks it may no longer be worth paying such high prices for an iPhone?

My SE will be my last iPhone.
    Last edited by Ramiusmarkdevice; 09-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Matt Manahan, libra89 and tr1ad like this.
    09-13-2018 09:20 AM
    Nope, you're not alone. I think the 7 that I have will be the end of the road for me too. It doesn't even help that they are done with the small phone thing in general as well, so there's no reason to stick to it.
    tr1ad, xanadome and TgeekB like this.
    09-13-2018 09:35 AM
    Animojis and emojis are now the "Breakthroughs". 1k device geared to teeny boppers! I'm sorry but Apple is lacking in vision.
    jlarkins08, xanadome and tr1ad like this.
    09-13-2018 09:41 AM
    Nope, you're not alone. I think the 7 that I have will be the end of the road for me too. It doesn't even help that they are done with the small phone thing in general as well, so there's no reason to stick to it.
    For stability, OS and updates, coupled with the price,I rather look around at other devices now. I can't understand why the focus is a premium brand, that's already established a long time ago;I'm guessing they rely on the millions in sales to keep themselves at the top

I myself was still holding out for an SE revamp one day, but it doesn't seem so any more

Sure I might get bashed, but it was already a struggle to purchase an X based on currency conversion rate, but I believe I'm good on this side now and will explore the other devices in more detail.
    My spare SE will keep my watch updated (I literally use the watch for time keeping and fitness tracking alone - no notifications etc)

Locally here stores are advertising the XS max 512 GB at 2100 USD when converted
    libra89 likes this.
    09-13-2018 10:16 AM
    For stability, OS and updates, coupled with the price,I rather look around at other devices now. I can't understand why the focus is a premium brand, that's already established a long time ago;I'm guessing they rely on the millions in sales to keep themselves at the top

I myself was still holding out for an SE revamp one day, but it doesn't seem so any more

Sure I might get bashed, but it was already a struggle to purchase an X based on currency conversion rate, but I believe I'm good on this side now and will explore the other devices in more detail.
    My spare SE will keep my watch updated (I literally use the watch for time keeping and fitness tracking alone - no notifications etc)

Locally here stores are advertising the XS max 512 GB at 2100 USD when converted
    I'm sorry but, anyone who pays 2100.00 for a phone needs to be committed.
    tr1ad, libra89, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    09-13-2018 10:36 AM

Wow, that's crazy! I get you though on the exploring.
    09-13-2018 10:40 AM
    I'm sorry but, anyone who pays 2100.00 for a phone needs to be committed.
    Believe it or not, people in this country have started to place orders with these resellers already for that price ... To have the latest and greatest
    09-13-2018 10:55 AM
    Believe it or not, people in this country have started to place orders with these resellers already for that price ... To have the latest and greatest
    People can spend their money any way they want and Apple is relying on this.
    Me, I have no reason to spend this much on a phone.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-13-2018 07:12 PM
    Agree.
    They’ll make a tiny watch that fits on your wrist but not a 4” Phone?
    I don’t want to carry a brick around. A mobile phone should be.....mobile. If I need something larger I have my iPad Pro.
    My SE battery is at 100% battery health. It’s updated to iOS 12. I guess I’ll just ride this out and see if they come to their senses in the next year or so.
    xanadome, merlin29, tr1ad and 1 others like this.
    09-13-2018 08:04 PM
    I’m actually eyeing the new moto z3 for is something happens to my 6 plus and I need a phone now. $20 a month isn’t that bad but I’m not paying iPhone prices anymore. If my phone dies and my wife wants to get a new one and let me take her 7 plus. I would be ok with that, but that’s the only route I see where I continue with iPhones unless I just get a used 7/8 somewhere for a good deal. Actually want the smaller form factor maybe next time.

Edit: actually now been looking at just a plain Moto G6 $240 and paid for and has a 5.7 inch screen and expandable storage as well as several other things? Probably going to lean towards that and be done with a phone for a while when my 6 plus dies
    Last edited by Tpence2177; 09-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    09-14-2018 05:34 AM
    With the announcement of the 3 new iPhone X models, it seems that the prices of the iPhones just keep going up, with almost no new features/innovations beyond using newer CPUs. The Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also been removed.

Is it just me who thinks it may no longer be worth paying such high prices for an iPhone?

I agree. The SE was my last phone too. When they quit supporting it, maybe it’ll be time to leave Apple?
    09-14-2018 09:21 AM
    Agree.
    They’ll make a tiny watch that fits on your wrist but not a 4” Phone?
    I don’t want to carry a brick around. A mobile phone should be.....mobile. If I need something larger I have my iPad Pro.
    My SE battery is at 100% battery health. It’s updated to iOS 12. I guess I’ll just ride this out and see if they come to their senses in the next year or so.
    Exactly on all points!
    09-14-2018 10:30 AM
    Apple has always been a premium company though. And when you think about how much technology is packed into these “phones” it does justify the price tag. These things really are pocket computers.

I’m a little bummed at how much the prices have gone up over the years. I would’ve liked to get the 512 Xs Max, but I’m not shelling out that much for it.

All it means for me is that I won’t have the latest and greatest all the time. My 8+ works just fine, and I’ll hold on to it as long as I need to.
    blessed2bamommie likes this.
    09-14-2018 12:30 PM
    Apple has always been a premium company though. And when you think about how much technology is packed into these “phones” it does justify the price tag. These things really are pocket computers.
    Apple has marketed themselves as a premium company which is subjective. They do make excellent products with exceptional customer support. I guess it depends on how much we feel that is worth in dollars.

I disagree that the technology justifies the price or that they are pocket computers. The basic functions of the SE are no different than the X. Email, text, calendar, music, etc. people use their devices differently and, for some, camera, large screen to watch movies are important also. These are the things that jack up the price. Either way, they can’t replace a computer.

I’m in a minority and I get it. My question is are these expensive devices with huge screens really what people want or has marketing done its job and convinced people they “need” them? People can spend their money any way they want but these prices are ridiculous in my mind and appear to be on a skyrocket to who knows where.
    09-14-2018 01:06 PM

I’m a little bummed at how much the prices have gone up over the years. I would’ve liked to get the 512 Xs Max, but I’m not shelling out that much for it.

All it means for me is that I won’t have the latest and greatest all the time. My 8+ works just fine, and I’ll hold on to it as long as I need to.
    is this the passive aggressive post. First you say the high price is justified and then you pretty much say its too expensive. Straddling the fence is not considered taking a position
    09-14-2018 01:30 PM
    is this the passive aggressive post. First you say the high price is justified and then you pretty much say its too expensive. Straddling the fence is not considered taking a position
    I say it’s justified (IMO), it’s just outside my budget right now.
    09-14-2018 01:46 PM
    Yea i agree. Although i did preorder, i wont be upgrading for a very long time, just not worth it these days. I’m only upgrading to have the fresh design. My 8 plus is perfectly fine and probably would be for the next few years easily. I am now on a 3-5 yr upgrade cycle now
    dazzlingirl likes this.
    09-14-2018 04:08 PM
    Mine too, I think. That's not the way I want it, but I guess the customers have no say in the matter. You'd think that a company would make what people want, but not this one.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-14-2018 08:25 PM
    Apple knows it can get away with charging it’s consumers more for less. That’s the way it has been after subsequent iPhone introductions beyond the SE. It knows it’s consumer base will pay whatever it charges to get something with an Apple logo on it. If you’ve been to Asia and Australia, you’ll know that Apple is still regarded as a status symbol there. And the Chinese market, with millions of American culture worshippers, has been ripe for the plucking for the past decade. It’s no secret that that’s where Apple generates the majority of it’s revenue from. Hence, if they are willing to pay for it, ‘let’s milk ‘em!’. Where does that leave us mere mortals with a bit of common sense left? Older models like the SE! Oh well. It’s all about profits now. Never about the needs of ‘real’ people.
    TgeekB, tr1ad, belodion and 2 others like this.
    09-15-2018 01:09 AM
    You know that a company has no idea how to make well-designed phones when you see them introducing useless features. Very thin phones, curved displays, bezel-free displays, no headphone jack, notches, mucking about with this that and the other....all unnecessary, expensive and troublesome, and not what the customer necessarily wants. I’m willing to bet that most customers have no interest in such developments, even.
    Of course, most if not all the manufacturers are doing it.
    What they all think they’re doing, I do not know. I sometimes wish I could make my own phones.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    09-15-2018 02:27 PM
    Hence, if they are willing to pay for it, ‘let’s milk ‘em!’.
    Exactly. Many loyal and sensible customers of Apple have been increasingly sensing this, and it is not at all difficult to see it. Just go out and watch other forums too.
    Company has to make a profit. I suppose nobody questions that. But as many people say in recent years, it has been becoming increasingly evident that Apple is in for profit as its utmost goal, more bluntly, it is also tied securely with "greed". Apple was very successful in driving its most loyal and faithful customers into their tightly close walled garden. Fine marketing, congratulations! But once that had happened and Apple became (over) confident, they are milking us without too much worry that we might defect. I for one, will pay any premium for "good" products, but also will buy what is worth my money. I have recently purchased a Pixel 2 on my other line in order to experiment, and HP PC a year ago for M$ Office intensive tasks, while still keeping the iPhone 8 and MBP Touch Bar. They actually do better jobs in many use cases, and so much cheaper and upgradable with no soldered RAM or disingenuous sealed box etc. Feels good and relieved. I might sell MBP. I was also waiting for Mac Mini update for certain purpose but Apple seems to be concentrating in One Trick Pony strategy, i.e., Apple Phone, Inc. Room for adding more features and tricks to keep the buying mind is quickly fading. I wonder how long Apple can sustain overpricing strategy.
    I simply wish that Apple somehow "reward" us loyal/faithful "captive" customers (for years), rather than further punishing us by milking us. Any discount or special reward program for long time customers, who have been supporting Apple and allowed them do what they are doing now? Watch it Apple, it is a dangerous time...
    09-15-2018 03:01 PM

Unless my current iPhone X breaks or something, I won’t be upgrading. Still, I’m not going to stop buying an iPhone.
    09-15-2018 03:10 PM
    Unless my current iPhone X breaks or something, I won’t be upgrading. Still, I’m not going to stop buying an iPhone.
    So I assume you still think they are of value at these higher prices? Just asking.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-15-2018 03:18 PM
    Looking at these budget phones over the last day kinda getting a plan of which ones are worth it and which ones work with Verizon, has kinda continued to solidify that me spending $1000+ on an iPhone is not going to happen. Sure iPhones get updates for 4-5 years but I could buy 4 Moto G series phones that get better and better each year for the price of one iPhone that’s 8 years of updates
    TgeekB and xanadome like this.
    09-15-2018 03:22 PM
    So I assume you still think they are of value at these higher prices? Just asking.
    No, and that is why I’m not upgrading from my current iPhone X to one of the new models. If I were renting my phone then I suppose it wouldn’t matter, but I purchase my iPhones and then pass them down to family members when I’m done with them.

Having said that, if somehow I managed to damage my iPhone, I can either switch to my iPhone 8 or opt to replace my iPhone X with a newer version.
    09-15-2018 03:54 PM
34 12