Apple seems to be removing ‘value’ with the latest iPhones. Even the SE was better value for money.

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
With the announcement of the 3 new iPhone X models, it seems that the prices of the iPhones just keep going up, with almost no new features/innovations beyond using newer CPUs. The Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also been removed.

Is it just me who thinks it may no longer be worth paying such high prices for an iPhone?

My SE will be my last iPhone.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Nope, you're not alone. I think the 7 that I have will be the end of the road for me too. It doesn't even help that they are done with the small phone thing in general as well, so there's no reason to stick to it.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Animojis and emojis are now the "Breakthroughs". 1k device geared to teeny boppers! I'm sorry but Apple is lacking in vision.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope, you're not alone. I think the 7 that I have will be the end of the road for me too. It doesn't even help that they are done with the small phone thing in general as well, so there's no reason to stick to it.

For stability, OS and updates, coupled with the price,I rather look around at other devices now. I can't understand why the focus is a premium brand, that's already established a long time ago;I'm guessing they rely on the millions in sales to keep themselves at the top

I myself was still holding out for an SE revamp one day, but it doesn't seem so any more

Sure I might get bashed, but it was already a struggle to purchase an X based on currency conversion rate, but I believe I'm good on this side now and will explore the other devices in more detail.
My spare SE will keep my watch updated (I literally use the watch for time keeping and fitness tracking alone - no notifications etc)

Locally here stores are advertising the XS max 512 GB at 2100 USD when converted

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
For stability, OS and updates, coupled with the price,I rather look around at other devices now. I can't understand why the focus is a premium brand, that's already established a long time ago;I'm guessing they rely on the millions in sales to keep themselves at the top

I myself was still holding out for an SE revamp one day, but it doesn't seem so any more

Sure I might get bashed, but it was already a struggle to purchase an X based on currency conversion rate, but I believe I'm good on this side now and will explore the other devices in more detail.
My spare SE will keep my watch updated (I literally use the watch for time keeping and fitness tracking alone - no notifications etc)

Locally here stores are advertising the XS max 512 GB at 2100 USD when converted

I'm sorry but, anyone who pays 2100.00 for a phone needs to be committed.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Wow, that's crazy! I get you though on the exploring.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Believe it or not, people in this country have started to place orders with these resellers already for that price ... To have the latest and greatest

People can spend their money any way they want and Apple is relying on this.
Me, I have no reason to spend this much on a phone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Agree.
They’ll make a tiny watch that fits on your wrist but not a 4” Phone?
I don’t want to carry a brick around. A mobile phone should be.....mobile. If I need something larger I have my iPad Pro.
My SE battery is at 100% battery health. It’s updated to iOS 12. I guess I’ll just ride this out and see if they come to their senses in the next year or so.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m actually eyeing the new moto z3 for is something happens to my 6 plus and I need a phone now. $20 a month isn’t that bad but I’m not paying iPhone prices anymore. If my phone dies and my wife wants to get a new one and let me take her 7 plus. I would be ok with that, but that’s the only route I see where I continue with iPhones unless I just get a used 7/8 somewhere for a good deal. Actually want the smaller form factor maybe next time.

Edit: actually now been looking at just a plain Moto G6 $240 and paid for and has a 5.7 inch screen and expandable storage as well as several other things? Probably going to lean towards that and be done with a phone for a while when my 6 plus dies

Last edited:

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
With the announcement of the 3 new iPhone X models, it seems that the prices of the iPhones just keep going up, with almost no new features/innovations beyond using newer CPUs. The Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also been removed.

Is it just me who thinks it may no longer be worth paying such high prices for an iPhone?

My SE will be my last iPhone.

I agree. The SE was my last phone too. When they quit supporting it, maybe it’ll be time to leave Apple?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Agree.
They’ll make a tiny watch that fits on your wrist but not a 4” Phone?
I don’t want to carry a brick around. A mobile phone should be.....mobile. If I need something larger I have my iPad Pro.
My SE battery is at 100% battery health. It’s updated to iOS 12. I guess I’ll just ride this out and see if they come to their senses in the next year or so.

Exactly on all points!

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Apple has always been a premium company though. And when you think about how much technology is packed into these “phones” it does justify the price tag. These things really are pocket computers.

I’m a little bummed at how much the prices have gone up over the years. I would’ve liked to get the 512 Xs Max, but I’m not shelling out that much for it.

All it means for me is that I won’t have the latest and greatest all the time. My 8+ works just fine, and I’ll hold on to it as long as I need to.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple has always been a premium company though. And when you think about how much technology is packed into these “phones” it does justify the price tag. These things really are pocket computers.

Apple has marketed themselves as a premium company which is subjective. They do make excellent products with exceptional customer support. I guess it depends on how much we feel that is worth in dollars.

I disagree that the technology justifies the price or that they are pocket computers. The basic functions of the SE are no different than the X. Email, text, calendar, music, etc. people use their devices differently and, for some, camera, large screen to watch movies are important also. These are the things that jack up the price. Either way, they can’t replace a computer.

I’m in a minority and I get it. My question is are these expensive devices with huge screens really what people want or has marketing done its job and convinced people they “need” them? People can spend their money any way they want but these prices are ridiculous in my mind and appear to be on a skyrocket to who knows where.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I’m a little bummed at how much the prices have gone up over the years. I would’ve liked to get the 512 Xs Max, but I’m not shelling out that much for it.

All it means for me is that I won’t have the latest and greatest all the time. My 8+ works just fine, and I’ll hold on to it as long as I need to.

is this the passive aggressive post. First you say the high price is justified and then you pretty much say its too expensive. Straddling the fence is not considered taking a position

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
is this the passive aggressive post. First you say the high price is justified and then you pretty much say its too expensive. Straddling the fence is not considered taking a position

I say it’s justified (IMO), it’s just outside my budget right now.

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yea i agree. Although i did preorder, i wont be upgrading for a very long time, just not worth it these days. I’m only upgrading to have the fresh design. My 8 plus is perfectly fine and probably would be for the next few years easily. I am now on a 3-5 yr upgrade cycle now

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Apple knows it can get away with charging it’s consumers more for less. That’s the way it has been after subsequent iPhone introductions beyond the SE. It knows it’s consumer base will pay whatever it charges to get something with an Apple logo on it. If you’ve been to Asia and Australia, you’ll know that Apple is still regarded as a status symbol there. And the Chinese market, with millions of American culture worshippers, has been ripe for the plucking for the past decade. It’s no secret that that’s where Apple generates the majority of it’s revenue from. Hence, if they are willing to pay for it, ‘let’s milk ‘em!’. Where does that leave us mere mortals with a bit of common sense left? Older models like the SE! Oh well. It’s all about profits now. Never about the needs of ‘real’ people.

belodion

May 1, 2015
Visit site
You know that a company has no idea how to make well-designed phones when you see them introducing useless features. Very thin phones, curved displays, bezel-free displays, no headphone jack, notches, mucking about with this that and the other....all unnecessary, expensive and troublesome, and not what the customer necessarily wants. I’m willing to bet that most customers have no interest in such developments, even.
Of course, most if not all the manufacturers are doing it.
What they all think they’re doing, I do not know. I sometimes wish I could make my own phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner