Today's the day that the SE has been discontinued. Any thoughts? If you have one, are you going to use it to the end? If not, do you plan to get one just to have the last small iPhone?
    kataran likes this.
    09-12-2018 03:19 PM
    It’s sad to know that they will most likely never release another 4” device

Human progress I guess
    libra89 likes this.
    09-12-2018 03:27 PM
    Not surprised as it has been predicted for months. I might trade it in.
    09-12-2018 03:28 PM
    It’s sad to know that they will most likely never release another 4” device

Human progress I guess
    Same, it's sad for me as well.
    kataran likes this.
    09-12-2018 03:32 PM
    I’ll use mine until it dies or is no longer capable of receiving iOS updates.
    libra89 and Seneca09 like this.
    09-12-2018 04:18 PM
    I’ll keep mine until it dies! Still a great phone - iOS works well on smaller devices - not so good on larger devices due to Apple’s gesture implementation. It’s also a good music player, with decent output for wired earphones. Definitely a keeper. Should the day come when the phone can no longer keep up with networks, or when Apple no longer supports it, then it will still serve well, as an eBook reader & ‘walkman’.
    libra89 and Seneca09 like this.
    09-12-2018 07:25 PM
    Planning to use mine until it dies. And then will hunt on eBay for a replacement. If Apple stops supporting it then I’ll probably have to switch over to the Xperia Compact or some other Android phone.

For me the small form factor is a non-negotiable. Actually I would prefer an even smaller phone (iPhone 4S sized)...
    xanadome, Relu Olaru and libra89 like this.
    09-13-2018 01:22 AM
    For me, I like the SE form factor, even more so with the Typo keyboard attached. Feels like the BlackBerry of old. The SE still has very capable hardware if one does not value ‘the notch’ and higher-end CPUs offered in the latest iPhones.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-13-2018 05:53 AM
    Planning to use mine until it dies. And then will hunt on eBay for a replacement. If Apple stops supporting it then I’ll probably have to switch over to the Xperia Compact or some other Android phone.

For me the small form factor is a non-negotiable. Actually I would prefer an even smaller phone (iPhone 4S sized)...
    I get you on that. Now that we know where Apple is going, I'll probably leap to the XZ2 Compact at some point. I no longer have my SE but still.
    09-13-2018 09:33 AM

I’ll keep my SE as long as it lasts. Yes, the 4s was a great size.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-13-2018 10:18 AM
    I would assume that the SE will be supported for quite some time to come???
    09-13-2018 10:19 AM
    I'm keeping mine as a spare. Both my wife and I have the X, but if anything ever happens at least we have a spare iOS device. I keep the SE charged and updated as is, and load betas on it before I try them on my X.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-13-2018 02:12 PM
    I would assume that the SE will be supported for quite some time to come???
    Yes that will likely be the case. Discontinued in this case only means in the selling context.
    09-13-2018 02:48 PM
    I would assume it would be supported as long as the 6S is since they share internals. Most likely another 2 years.
    libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    09-13-2018 04:03 PM
    I would assume it would be supported as long as the 6S is since they share internals. Most likely another 2 years.
    Agree.
    I won’t be switching anytime soon. My SE should last a couple of years, continue to get updates and hopefully something similar will come out eventually.
    Enjoy my iPad Pro and MBP, so switching to Android isn’t an option.
    09-14-2018 08:54 AM
    I have thoughts about this, yes, but not easily expressed in polite language. The best small phone ever made in my opinion - and still a first-class performer - and they decide to stop making it and produce no successor. It's barely credible that a company can have so little regard for those of its customers who prefer the little iPhones.

Of course, it creates an opportunity for the Android manufacturers to step in with a device of similar size and spec. My money is waiting.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-14-2018 08:18 PM
    Hmm, you’ve got a point there. Apple is, and has been, after Steve’s demise, more of a ‘follower’ than an innovator. When the market moved on to larger screen sizes 4 years ago, Apple moved to the larger 6+ sizes. As Samsung, Huawei and other Chinese makes move on to having 5.9” screens as a minimum standard for their premium models, guess what? Yep, Apple releases the iPhone X. Now, Huawei is moving to over 6” screen sizes for their flagships - and yes, Apple now follows this trend with the new larger iPhone X series. That’s really about it. Gone were the days with Steve and Jony fussing over a ‘comfortable, one-handed’ design - see the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 video introductions on YouTube. Now, Apple plays up the specs just like any PC manufacturer did in the 90s. ‘Faster processors! Faster FaceID!’ That’s really about it.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    09-14-2018 10:46 PM
    Today's the day that the SE has been discontinued. Any thoughts? If you have one, are you going to use it to the end? If not, do you plan to get one just to have the last small iPhone?
    More than likely, the demand for it has dwindled to the point of it being impractical to continue making.
    09-15-2018 08:49 AM
    More than likely, the demand for it has dwindled to the point of it being impractical to continue making.
    You could be right, or have we been forced to purchase bigger more expensive devices?
    As the market has become saturated sales have slowed or flattened. In order to make more money, companies have made devices more expensive.
    Was it demand or was it a marketing ploy?
    libra89 likes this.
    09-15-2018 09:19 AM
    Was it demand or was it a marketing ploy?
    I'm tempted to say it's more the latter. Android OEMs have been increasing the size of the 'small' devices slowly over the past few years. Go back to 2014, and it was easy to find a device under 5" screen size. Now....I think the 5" screen size is sitting in between the the Ark of the Convenant and Excalibur, and right across from the Holy Grail.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    09-15-2018 09:26 AM
    I'm tempted to say it's more the latter. Android OEMs have been increasing the size of the 'small' devices slowly over the past few years. Go back to 2014, and it was easy to find a device under 5" screen size. Now....I think the 5" screen size is sitting in between the the Ark of the Convenant and Excalibur, and right across from the Holy Grail.
    I am sure Apple knows the strong demand for small form factor phone, Unfortunately or fortunately, it carries a cheaper (normal?:-) price.

Just because it was not announced in the recent event may not necessarily mean it was discontinued (hopefully). It's all about the profitability. My bet is SE2 will be introduced later (next month, or next March?) when the sale of Xs, after initial feverish momentum, would be dying down (and it will).

Look what Apple is doing on Xr. The same pattern. They do not want the profitability of more expensive models encroached by a cheaper model. Apple claims that delay is due to supply line constraint but really? C'mon Apple!

I have to think that Apple is not that stupid to abandon a small factor phone that had more than decent demand. Jut not now.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-15-2018 09:49 AM
    I will use my 5c and SE for as long as they work. When they die, I’ll look elsewhere I guess. I do not want a bigger device.
    09-15-2018 11:52 AM
    It has an a9 and 2 GBs of ram, it probably has a minimum of 2 more years of support.
    10-22-2018 06:57 AM
    I’m thinking the 4.7 iPhone 8 is basically the new SE. It’s the smallest iPhone currently available and is a little behind the newer models in terms of specs. It seems to be the obvious choice for SE fans who need a new phone. Am I crazy?
    libra89 and xanadome like this.
    10-22-2018 04:23 PM
    I’m thinking the 4.7 iPhone 8 is basically the new SE. It’s the smallest iPhone currently available and is a little behind the newer models in terms of specs. It seems to be the obvious choice for SE fans who need a new phone. Am I crazy?
    Nope, not at all! I was considering that myself. You do have a great point considering that it also has wireless charging too.
    phlamethrowre and xanadome like this.
    10-22-2018 05:37 PM
28 12