The iPhone SE has been discontinued..

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Today's the day that the SE has been discontinued. Any thoughts? If you have one, are you going to use it to the end? If not, do you plan to get one just to have the last small iPhone?

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
I’ll keep mine until it dies! Still a great phone - iOS works well on smaller devices - not so good on larger devices due to Apple’s gesture implementation. It’s also a good music player, with decent output for wired earphones. Definitely a keeper. Should the day come when the phone can no longer keep up with networks, or when Apple no longer supports it, then it will still serve well, as an eBook reader & ‘walkman’.

jjfad

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Planning to use mine until it dies. And then will hunt on eBay for a replacement. If Apple stops supporting it then I’ll probably have to switch over to the Xperia Compact or some other Android phone.

For me the small form factor is a non-negotiable. Actually I would prefer an even smaller phone (iPhone 4S sized)...

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
For me, I like the SE form factor, even more so with the Typo keyboard attached. Feels like the BlackBerry of old. The SE still has very capable hardware if one does not value ‘the notch’ and higher-end CPUs offered in the latest iPhones.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Planning to use mine until it dies. And then will hunt on eBay for a replacement. If Apple stops supporting it then I’ll probably have to switch over to the Xperia Compact or some other Android phone.

For me the small form factor is a non-negotiable. Actually I would prefer an even smaller phone (iPhone 4S sized)...

I get you on that. Now that we know where Apple is going, I'll probably leap to the XZ2 Compact at some point. I no longer have my SE but still.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site

I’ll keep my SE as long as it lasts. Yes, the 4s was a great size.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm keeping mine as a spare. Both my wife and I have the X, but if anything ever happens at least we have a spare iOS device. I keep the SE charged and updated as is, and load betas on it before I try them on my X.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I would assume it would be supported as long as the 6S is since they share internals. Most likely another 2 years.

Agree.
I won’t be switching anytime soon. My SE should last a couple of years, continue to get updates and hopefully something similar will come out eventually.
Enjoy my iPad Pro and MBP, so switching to Android isn’t an option.

belodion

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I have thoughts about this, yes, but not easily expressed in polite language. The best small phone ever made in my opinion - and still a first-class performer - and they decide to stop making it and produce no successor. It's barely credible that a company can have so little regard for those of its customers who prefer the little iPhones.

Of course, it creates an opportunity for the Android manufacturers to step in with a device of similar size and spec. My money is waiting.

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Hmm, you’ve got a point there. Apple is, and has been, after Steve’s demise, more of a ‘follower’ than an innovator. When the market moved on to larger screen sizes 4 years ago, Apple moved to the larger 6+ sizes. As Samsung, Huawei and other Chinese makes move on to having 5.9” screens as a minimum standard for their premium models, guess what? Yep, Apple releases the iPhone X. Now, Huawei is moving to over 6” screen sizes for their flagships - and yes, Apple now follows this trend with the new larger iPhone X series. That’s really about it. Gone were the days with Steve and Jony fussing over a ‘comfortable, one-handed’ design - see the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 video introductions on YouTube. Now, Apple plays up the specs just like any PC manufacturer did in the 90s. ‘Faster processors! Faster FaceID!’ That’s really about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Today's the day that the SE has been discontinued. Any thoughts? If you have one, are you going to use it to the end? If not, do you plan to get one just to have the last small iPhone?

More than likely, the demand for it has dwindled to the point of it being impractical to continue making.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
More than likely, the demand for it has dwindled to the point of it being impractical to continue making.

You could be right, or have we been forced to purchase bigger more expensive devices?
As the market has become saturated sales have slowed or flattened. In order to make more money, companies have made devices more expensive.
Was it demand or was it a marketing ploy?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Was it demand or was it a marketing ploy?
I'm tempted to say it's more the latter. Android OEMs have been increasing the size of the 'small' devices slowly over the past few years. Go back to 2014, and it was easy to find a device under 5" screen size. Now....I think the 5" screen size is sitting in between the the Ark of the Convenant and Excalibur, and right across from the Holy Grail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice