I was told “unofficially “ by a T-Mobile tech, that he was under the impression that cell coverage was already in the works for being phased out. But that he thought the SE would still be usable for another couple of years. He hinted that the SE-2 would alleviate this issue. Anyone else hear anything similar?

Thanks
    07-25-2018 10:00 PM
    I was told “unofficially “ by a T-Mobile tech, that he was under the impression that cell coverage was already in the works for being phased out. But that he thought the SE would still be usable for another couple of years. He hinted that the SE-2 would alleviate this issue. Anyone else hear anything similar?

Thanks
    Cell coverage being phased out? What exactly do you mean by this and what has it to do with the SE?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-25-2018 11:17 PM
    Cell coverage being phased out? What exactly do you mean by this and what has it to do with the SE?
    Not cell coverage. Just the speed & range. I was told that the SE was too old to be fully supported by newer Network technology.
    07-26-2018 12:36 AM
    The SE will still be supported for the coming 5 to even ten years, as it supports 4G. Only the newer 4G technologies won’t be supported, but that’s only natural.
    07-26-2018 02:40 AM
    The SE will still be supported for the coming 5 to even ten years, as it supports 4G. Only the newer 4G technologies won’t be supported, but that’s only natural.
    Yes. He was implying that 4G is being phased out.
    07-26-2018 10:46 AM
    The only issue on the SE, that I'm aware with on T-Mobile, is that it is lacking Band 71. Band 71 is the 600 Mhz spectrum that T-Mobile is just starting to roll out nationwide, and that they hope to complete over the next two years. Also, if the merger with Sprint goes through, the SE doesn't have most of the Sprint LTE bands (particularly band 41) -- ones that T-Mobile will likely use to further improve coverage and speeds.

Of course, most of T-Mobile's current iPhone's have this same issue -- no iPhone has Band 71 currently (only a handful of phones do support band 71), and most T-Mobile iPhones don't have the Sprint bands (you need the Sprint or Verizon iPhone). On the flip side, if the SE works well for you now, it should continue to work well in the future; you'd likely see some speed and coverage improvements with a new phone, but your current phone shouldn't get worse.
    07-26-2018 05:45 PM
    Just because they work for T-Mobile doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. On the flip side nobody knows if you interpreted what they told you properly either ... No offense, just saying ...
    Tartarus and Premium1 like this.
    07-27-2018 09:57 AM

Thanks

It seems everyone was talking about it last September. Check Google for all of the news articles.
    07-27-2018 01:34 PM
    I assume what the tech meant is that the SE will not be able to take advantage of the new low band spectrum that T-Mo is rolling out (and 600 mhz) which even the newer iphones are lacking in that regard. https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-phones-700
    libra89 likes this.
    07-27-2018 04:10 PM