Purchased my first iPhone one week ago, and will probably be the last. Phone is OK but software sucks. I see postings going back to Oct. 2017 where people were complaining of not being able to choose ringtone notifications other than the default. I have encountered the same problem. Apple support tells me it is a software problem and that the Apple engineers are working on it. No idea when there will be a fix. Does anyone have additional information regarding this problem?

Web searches have not provided any working solutions.
    02-05-2018 10:38 AM
    Hello and welcome to iMore. I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with your first iPhone. To clarify your original question, do you mean ringtones for incoming phone calls, or do you mean you want a specific ringtone for actual notifications?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-06-2018 09:57 AM
    Purchased my first iPhone one week ago, and will probably be the last. Phone is OK but software sucks. I see postings going back to Oct. 2017 where people were complaining of not being able to choose ringtone notifications other than the default. I have encountered the same problem. Apple support tells me it is a software problem and that the Apple engineers are working on it. No idea when there will be a fix. Does anyone have additional information regarding this problem?

Web searches have not provided any working solutions.
    You cannot choose ringtones other than the default ones unless you’ve properly installed custom or bought ringtones on the device. You will more than likely need to use iTunes to get the custom ringtones onto your iPhone. Afterwards, they’ll be selectable from within the notification settings.
    02-06-2018 11:01 AM
    I will try to clarify the original question. When I receive an email, the phone emits a subtle "ding". This cannot be heard if the phone is not nearby. When I choose one of the default sounds (such as ringing old fashioned phone)to notify me of an incoming email, the phone will not emit the chosen sound, but instead defaults to the original subtle "ding". I have been in contact with Apple support several times. We have tried what they thought were possible solutions such as powering off the device, reset all settings, reset network settings, and a complete system restore (like it was a new never activated before device). None of the tried solutions worked. Went through the usual steps of speaking with a tech support rep., up to a "senior" supervisor. The "senior" supervisor contacted the engineering department and was told by them that my problem is a bug in the iOS (11.2.5). No idea when the bug would be corrected.

The reason for my contact with this forum was to determine if anyone else has any information as to when this problem might be corrected.
    Annie_8plus and Tinkernaught like this.
    02-06-2018 11:27 AM
    I will try to clarify the original question. When I receive an email, the phone emits a subtle "ding". This cannot be heard if the phone is not nearby. When I choose one of the default sounds (such as ringing old fashioned phone)to notify me of an incoming email, the phone will not emit the chosen sound, but instead defaults to the original subtle "ding". I have been in contact with Apple support several times. We have tried what they thought were possible solutions such as powering off the device, reset all settings, reset network settings, and a complete system restore (like it was a new never activated before device). None of the tried solutions worked. Went through the usual steps of speaking with a tech support rep., up to a "senior" supervisor. The "senior" supervisor contacted the engineering department and was told by them that my problem is a bug in the iOS (11.2.5). No idea when the bug would be corrected.

The reason for my contact with this forum was to determine if anyone else has any information as to when this problem might be corrected.
    Thank you for clarifying. I hope you find the help or solution you are looking for!
    02-06-2018 11:44 AM
    It can be done but as mentioned above you need to use iTunes and a file converter to convert your tones to .m4r file extension.

Or you can purchase ringtones in the iTunes Store

I have custom Tones on my computer that I transfer to my next iPhones
    02-06-2018 07:38 PM
    I have converted an .mp3 to an .mr4. I use that ringtone for incoming calls and it works fine,

The problem is setting a sound for incoming emails.
    02-07-2018 10:51 AM