iPhone SE cancelled?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yikes! There are so many conflicting stories on this! I hope it's not true, because so many people like this phone. Time will tell, I guess!!!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Considering the X is not being cancelled, just no need for it after next fall with 3 new iPhones coming, I am not sure how much I’d believe this article. Maybe right maybe not.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Yikes! There are so many conflicting stories on this! I hope it's not true, because so many people like this phone. Time will tell, I guess!!!

This is true, it will.

Considering the X is not being cancelled, just no need for it after next fall with 3 new iPhones coming, I am not sure how much I’d believe this article. Maybe right maybe not.

That's a fair point but you do make another good point about the 3 new phones coming. I can get why they might not want to have SO many models to manufacture.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is true, it will.

That's a fair point but you do make another good point about the 3 new phones coming. I can get why they might not want to have SO many models to manufacture.

Yes you have a point. The thing is SE has kind of been in a class of its own. Cheap budget small phone. I could see this not being continued but could also see it carried on. If it was to be carried on, I wouldn’t expect any major visual changes. Apple won’t invest much into this phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
All I’m asking for is an updated Chipset in the new SE the rest of the device is perfect for my needs

Make it happen Timmy

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
We will have to see, all speculation at this point.
I’m not sure it would be a smart move. People are starting to Buck the trend of Uber high priced phones and the SE sold quite well. It brings a market to Apple they shouldn’t want to lose.
All personal opinion of course.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I could see them "cancelling" it like they are with the X, to replace it with a new model. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Also read Lory's article, and she is wishing for basically a small X to replace the SE. I don't think that will happen, and even she admits that probably won't happen at the end of the article. https://www.imore.com/my-iphone-se-2-wishlist

3D touch, updated FFC, waterproof, and updated chip are the extent of my wish list (in that order).

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
All I’m asking for is an updated Chipset in the new SE the rest of the device is perfect for my needs

Make it happen Timmy

Pretty much... I wouldn’t mind if they were to push the display out closer to the edges, but it works well enough in its current configuration, too.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny how every time an article is written about Apple stopping production on a particular model everyone assumes they’re completely abandoning the form factor.
The fact is the iPhone SE and X are unique devices in that Apple is unlikely to continue to sell it after a new model is released. This is contrary to the typical incremental models we’re used to seeing where Apple keeps selling the old model at a cheaper price point (case and point: Apple still sells the iPhone 6s and 7 even though iPhone 8 is out). If Apple isn’t continuing sales on the SE and X then it’s only natural that they stop producing it ahead of time. It’s probable that we’ll see an SE replacement sooner rather than later. The device has definitely earned a spot on Apple’s lineup, especially in the international market where the SE has been wildly popular.
My guess based on what I know about Apple and what I’ve read/heard: It’s possible Apple will announce an SE replacement in March (that’s when the original SE was announced) or in June at WWDC. I wouldn’t expect them to wait until the fall as they wouldn’t want to dilute whatever flagship device announcements are being planned for that time.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just re-read this. Isn't WWDC in June? That matches up with the rumors I read. I hoped it was coming in March, but the latest rumors say June.

When Apple will announce new products, other than the new flagship iPhone (which is traditionally announced in September), is guesswork, at best. Apple often announces, with little fanfare, new products in March -- such as the new iPad last year. So, a new SE could be announced this month, much like the iPad was last year, or they could wait until WWDC, like they did with the iPad Pro last year. I know the AirPower is rumored to finally be released soon, so I could see Apple announcing a new SE (one with wireless charging) at the same time as they announce the AirPower finally being released. Then again, they could not release it until June, or some other time; all we can do is wait.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2