When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? Does it really matter?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It’s unfortunate there appears to be no upgrade to the SE. I guess it’s just the market speaking.
I did just upgrade to a (used) iPhone X. I’m enjoying the new technology but I have kept my SE as my backup. It still performs admirably and is on iOS 12.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? I’ve had people make a negative association because of my decision to use the iPhone SE over my iPhone X.

What I constantly hear is “omg that phone is so tiny I could never use something like that” or “that’s something I would get for my kids” and most recently “couldn’t afford the iPhone X huh?!” I thought phones were supposed to be for the persons own personal needs not as a trend or to show that you have money to blow? Don’t get me wrong I really like the X, but I just find this form factor so much more comfortable to use.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

I just learned to ignore these type of people. I had my 5s for 22 months and my 7 Plus for 23 months and both devices served their purpose well. I upgraded because I wanted to and not because everyone else wanted me to.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
It’s unfortunate there appears to be no upgrade to the SE. I guess it’s just the market speaking.
I did just upgrade to a (used) iPhone X. I’m enjoying the new technology but I have kept my SE as my backup. It still performs admirably and is on iOS 12.

I was curious as to how the SE performs on IOS 12. No change in battery longevity?

Thanks

htc2hilt

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It never became mandatory, but the carriers traditionally encouraged consumers to upgrade every 2 years. And then when installment plans became the norm, the annual upgrade was encouraged by the carriers AND Apple with its own upgrade program.

With people hanging on to their phones longer than before and with Apple users getting several years of iOS updates on their devices, I think it’s becoming less “mandatory.”

With that said, I love my iPhone SE and it’s not mandatory that I get a phablet iPhone that costs $1000 or more. Still holding out for another year or an SE 2 (or smaller iPhone). Otherwise, I might be rollin my SE until the iOS wheels fall off.

SE Gang!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
There will always be the "must have the latest and greatest" crowd and the "must keep up with the Jones'" crowd. I have no problem with that. I personally don't get the latest and greatest. If I decide to upgrade it's a good bit after a new device launches so I can see what issues may arise.

At this point I'm holding onto the 7 Plus until it becomes unsupported.

anon(8115241)

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Well i bought the 6s plus 128gb and the 8 plus 256gb last year and upgraded to the xs max 256gb. I upgrade every year but i am still thinking of upgrading next year. I have four options: change my xs max battery and get a pixel next year, change my battery and don't get the pixel, upgrade and sell my phone to someone or upgrade and keep my xs max. I buy my phones outright because I do not live in the USA

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal