When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? Does it really matter?

mia_xoxo

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? I’ve had people make a negative association because of my decision to use the iPhone SE over my iPhone X.

What I constantly hear is “omg that phone is so tiny I could never use something like that” or “that’s something I would get for my kids” and most recently “couldn’t afford the iPhone X huh?!” I thought phones were supposed to be for the persons own personal needs not as a trend or to show that you have money to blow? Don’t get me wrong I really like the X, but I just find this form factor so much more comfortable to use.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does it really matter?

Ignore them. People should be free to use the device that suits their needs without having to deal with others opinions on what they should be using. I'm in the "upgrade every year" camp but people have at times implied I didn't "need" to upgrade each year.

Of course I don't NEED to...but I want to. That's key. Do what you please. Ignore those who object.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Ignore them. People should be free to use the device that suits their needs without having to deal with others opinions on what they should be using. I'm in the "upgrade every year" camp but people have at times implied I didn't "need" to upgrade each year.

Of course I don't NEED to...but I want to. That's key. Do what you please. Ignore those who object.

+1
By the way, we have a ton of very happy iPhone SE users currently on the forum. You’re not alone!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

+1
By the way, we have a ton of very happy iPhone SE users currently on the forum. You’re not alone!

Yup. I’m back to using my SE and waiting for version 2.
Just love a true mobile device (slips in my pocket and don’t know it’s there).

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I’d ignore them too.
We need to be able to understand other people’s lifestyle and their own unique perspective. There’s a reason why Apple offers a variety of iPhones, it’s to meet different consumer needs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? I’ve had people make a negative association because of my decision to use the iPhone SE over my iPhone X.

What I constantly hear is “omg that phone is so tiny I could never use something like that” or “that’s something I would get for my kids” and most recently “couldn’t afford the iPhone X huh?!” I thought phones were supposed to be for the persons own personal needs not as a trend or to show that you have money to blow? Don’t get me wrong I really like the X, but I just find this form factor so much more comfortable to use.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

It is not mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone. A desire to have the latest or be among the first to have the latest are arguably among the top 5 reasons to upgrade every year. There are always going to be people who will compare what you do to what they would have done. I’m one of those people who don’t care what you use as long as you’re happy with it. It’s your money, your choice and your happiness. That’s all that matters.

Last edited:

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
People are very strange beings. I, too, have to face people telling me what to do, what to believe, what to buy or not buy... Strange. I honestly think these type of people must have a so meaningless life that they want to live someone else's. Just ignore them! My wife has a SE and I really envy a very simple thing about it: she can use it without case, without any fear of broke or scratch an incredible expensive device. She simply uses it. And likes a lot! I really like my X too, but have to confess I would love to be able to use it as my wife uses her SE.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
With the people from my generation, it seems like they upgrade to have the latest and greatest as a symbol of “status”

mia_xoxo

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site

Yup. I’m back to using my SE and waiting for version 2.
Just love a true mobile device (slips in my pocket and don’t know it’s there).

I’m excited about the “SE2” as well. I’m really interested to see what changes they make.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
It has never been mandatory. If your present phone serves your purposes, why upgrade? I have the option to upgrade any time that I wish too. However, I choose to stay with my SE. It’s the perfect size and is lacking nothing that I care for. I probably won’t even upgrade the the second generation of the SE.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I hate when people say things like that. It's really annoying.

There's nothing wrong with being content with what you have. The SE is a great phone, in fact it's one of my favorite phones ever.

Upgrading if you want is fine too but far from required. In fact, I have a friend who had a iPhone 6 that was stolen so she went back to her 5S. She's talked about the SE but she's good with what she has and it's been years since then.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Some people will always ask, because for them its all about having the latest phone. At the end of the day, its personal preference. My wife is happy with her 6s while I have the 8plus.

About the SE, it’s too small for me because I’m used 6.3” Note 8 and 5.5” 8+. But I’m looking forward to the SE2, if it has minimal bezels and the 8 chipset. I don’t really need 2 big screen phones. I’d happily sell the 8+ for the SE2

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
For some people, it's a status thing, for others, it's a necessity and for many it's simply a desire to embrace the latest, and there are those who prefer to ride it til it dies. I'm somewhere in the middle (and admittedly lean towards embracing the new technology)... my husband is "ride it till it dies", as is my sister, who upgraded from her 4s to a 7 last summer. Granted, we were relieved, because she couldn't update anymore, and was missing out on some of the newer features.

It's a matter of preference and personal desire. And it's a personal decision and nobody else's business. To each his/her own... but it seems modern society has adapted a budinski personality more often than not!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
There is no mandatory reason to upgrade. We all have opinions but some of us are better at presenting them. If I feel I don't agree with the other persons opinion I will just ignore it and brush it off, then move on. If you prefer the SE then i'm honestly happy for you. There are reasons why you made that decision.

I started out with the 8 Plus for reasons I thought best suited my needs. I am now using an X because I reassessed it and thought it was even better for me. This will sound harsh but not meant to be. I don't care what people think about what phone I use. If it works for me I have the perfect phone.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope not mandatory and it doesn't matter. With that said I've become accustomed to the iPhone and the quality, if they add new features that I like I'll upgrade. Mainly the only reason I changed from 7 plus to 8 plus was wireless charging. My wife is still using the 7 because that's the size phone she likes. Took a while to get to upgrade from the 4s to hand me down 5s .

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Kind of hard to ignore your wife who’s had the 6 plus for three years and going. Always hearing “Nothings wrong with your phone but you keep changing it”.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh