Bell charging data when Cellular Data is at OFF

anlo17500

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
I have travelled a few times this year, and I have purchased from Bell in Canada the "Roaming Better" package. Basically, if I use my phone when roaming, the "Roaming Better" package is triggered and for the day I am being charged $10. For that $10, I can then use my phone anyway I want during that day only (data and voice). However, to avoid being charged if I do not need the phone, I set my "Cellular Data" at OFF and my IMessage at OFF, and do not answer any calls coming in. However, it has occurred a few times where Bell claims I have exchange data and they have charged me that $10. How could that be if the cellular data is at the OFF position including IMessage being at OFF???

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell, cellular data shouldn’t have been detected if cellular was disabled. With that in mind, the following excerpt causes me to question it.

“If you use an Exchange ActiveSync account, it might continue to use cellular data even if you turn it off for Mail and Calendar. To see the cellular data usage of your Exchange ActiveSync account, go to Settings > Cellular > System Services.”
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

I know it’s regarding the disabling of cellular usage for Mail & Calendar, but I’m wondering how is it bypassing the blockage, and if it can bypass that, could it or something else be bypassing the overall cellular data block?

anlo17500

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. I did see data on the System Services each time I turned on my phone. I also had once an instance where Mail consumes 18K while the data was off for this application !!! probably because I am on Outlook on a Push system, which is Exchange Active Sync. To correct the latter, you need to change PUSH for Manual for the mail accounts. I will contact Bell, as they seem to be charging based on the system services data possibly and not only the application data. Your answer has been really great. Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I did see data on the System Services each time I turned on my phone. I also had once an instance where Mail consumes 18K while the data was off for this application !!! probably because I am on Outlook on a Push system, which is Exchange Active Sync. To correct the latter, you need to change PUSH for Manual for the mail accounts. I will contact Bell, as they seem to be charging based on the system services data possibly and not only the application data. Your answer has been really great. Thank you.

You're very welcome, sir...:)