SMS on Iphone SE in roaming mode

anlo17500

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
I need to know how this is possible. When outside of the country in roaming mode, I set on my Iphone the "Cellular data" at OFF, and then go in IMessage and set the IMessage functionality at OFF AND the MMS at OFF. To my huge surprise, I still received a text message during my trip. Why and how can I avoid this, as I am being charged for such message when outside the country.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Receiving normal text messages are free of charge wherever you are.

Disabling the things you did doesn’t change that.
If you don’t want to receive text messages while abroad, contact your carrier on how to do so.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Receiving normal text messages are free of charge wherever you are.

Disabling the things you did doesn’t change that.
If you don’t want to receive text messages while abroad, contact your carrier on how to do so.

I am not sure that receiving text messages is always free, I know for a fact that I was charged a fee for receipt of text messages while in France a few years ago, in fact it cost a work mate quite a lot,as he had a woman who could (and did) text as fast as she talked (continuosly!)

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, incoming text messages are not necessarily free depending upon your plan and your country.

To the OP, if you received a "text" (and SMS and not an iMessage), it's important to understand that SMS uses the voice channels. It doesn't use data.

graclarkey

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Two solutions to this:

- don’t turn your phone on!

OR (better)

- change provider if you travel abroad regularly — it’s ridiculous to hear that in 2017/18 some providers still charge you to receive an SMS text

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR