Overthinking: SE or 6S?

DarkSylph

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Hello.
Currently I own an old 4.5" Lumia (+ a 4" Carrier locked Huawei on the side), and I've been considering buying an iPhone for a while. I decided to do it in December. This will be a phone for 2-4 years.
I've been stressed over screen sizes. I just can't pick one for me. I know, ridiculous!
I was hoping that someone who owned both, or owns both or changed one for the other can shed some light on me.

My typical use it's moderate. I usually touch my phone more at night. I use the following apps frequently: Outlook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook (only groups), ZingBox, Wordpress (editing only), Texts, Line, 9Gag, tapatalk, MS Office. During long trips/vacations I use YouTube frequently, intensive gaming and one or two image editing app. I don't take many pictures or film anything unless it's really important.

I made some pros and cons but nothing came out of it. I get more indecisive each day.
SE: Pro: - Size. Beautiful design. Almost a compact 6S.
Con - Size? Can I really go back to 4" full time? My secondary phone is on standby most of the time...

6S: Pro - Size. Since I have quite a few social apps it may be better to have a bigger screen. I'm not sure...
3D Touch. Meh...
Con - Size? Can I really handle 4.7" if I sometimes complain about my 4.5" phone?
Design. I do not like it.

It's really my indecisiveness killing me slowly. I fear regretting my choice.
Thank you for your answers in advance. They're really helpful. Believe it.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello.
Currently I own an old 4.5" Lumia (+ a 4" Carrier locked Huawei on the side), and I've been considering buying an iPhone for a while. I decided to do it in December. This will be a phone for 2-4 years.
I've been stressed over screen sizes. I just can't pick one for me. I know, ridiculous!
I was hoping that someone who owned both, or owns both or changed one for the other can shed some light on me.

My typical use it's moderate. I usually touch my phone more at night. I use the following apps frequently: Outlook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook (only groups), ZingBox, Wordpress (editing only), Texts, Line, 9Gag, tapatalk, MS Office. During long trips/vacations I use YouTube frequently, intensive gaming and one or two image editing app. I don't take many pictures or film anything unless it's really important.

I made some pros and cons but nothing came out of it. I get more indecisive each day.
Con - Size? Can I really go back to 4" full time? My secondary phone is on standby most of the time...

6S: Pro - Size. Since I have quite a few social apps it may be better to have a bigger screen. I'm not sure...
3D Touch. Meh...
Con - Size? Can I really handle 4.7" if I sometimes complain about my 4.5" phone?

I can help you.

If you value battery life, the SE is the way to go.

I'm going to tag @camaroz1985 as he had both.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Just pick one. If you don't like it for any of the issues/features you are obsessing about, just sell it and buy a different one.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello.

3D Touch. Meh...

SE. Really like mine. Great battery life too.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
You don't feel limited when using social apps or even watching random videos shared with you?

No, not at all. I chose the SE 128gb phone for its size and operating system. I handled the 6s and 7, but I just do not want to carry a phone of that size. I prefer the compactness of the SE. And as stated before, great battery life. Some people want bigger phones or tablets, some do not. I am quite satisfied with the SE, and have no desire to abandon it for another or bigger phone. If like my previous I phones, it will last many, many years.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I have had all sizes of iPhone as well as many (most) Windows Phones and a few Androids.

I always end up going back to the SE. I love the size. It is great in the hand and fits in any pocket without issue. The SE is for the most part the 6S without 3D touch and not as good of a FFC. I never feel I am limited by size, and our uses are similar (minus the games). The 4.7" was just too big to use with one hand, but not quite big enough that I thought I was getting a lot of extra screen. I was really bouncing back and forth between the SE and 7 Plus, and loved the camera on the 7 Plus, but the size was just too big to use comfortably, and I didn't need a phone that big for everyday use. 3D touch is nice, but you won't miss it if you never had it to begin with.

My suggestion would be to wait until March/April to see if there is an update to the SE. If not I would still go SE over the 6S at that point, or in December if you can't wait.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had all sizes of iPhone as well as many (most) Windows Phones and a few Androids.

I always end up going back to the SE. I love the size. It is great in the hand and fits in any pocket without issue. The SE is for the most part the 6S without 3D touch and not as good of a FFC. I never feel I am limited by size, and our uses are similar (minus the games). The 4.7" was just too big to use with one hand, but not quite big enough that I thought I was getting a lot of extra screen. I was really bouncing back and forth between the SE and 7 Plus, and loved the camera on the 7 Plus, but the size was just too big to use comfortably, and I didn't need a phone that big for everyday use. 3D touch is nice, but you won't miss it if you never had it to begin with.

My suggestion would be to wait until March/April to see if there is an update to the SE. If not I would still go SE over the 6S at that point, or in December if you can't wait.

This I can agree with, especially if you can wait to see if there's a revamped SE in March

DarkSylph

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for all your answers.
I really can't wait anymore. I was actually going to purchase an iPhone last year but I was advised to wait and see.
This year I'll buy it. I was a bit indecisive because they were the same price unlocked.
I'll go to the SE. Now I can't wait for my vacations.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Good choice. I've been debating getting an SE for some time now so I switched back to my old 5s just to get used to the form factor again. To be honest, I really don't mind using a 4" screen again and in some cases actually missed it, though watching youtube on it does kinda suck.

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
SE is a great phone with amazing battery life and portability. However few points to consider the 6s over the SE ( I own both)

1. Better front facing camera - 5 vs 1.2mp

2. Second gen touch Id -- much faster than on the SE.

3. U get little more screen estate. Makes it 'OK' for videos. It's a pain on the SE. ( Not imp if u have a secondary device like an iPad).
Plus, the screen quality and resolution is much much better.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want in your device. I almost always end up using my 6s more than the SE although I love its battery life and portability.

DarkSylph

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
@Rev17 And just when I was 90% sure I wanted the SE.
I don't have an iPad and I never had anything Apple. Just a normal laptop.
Since I got the Lumia (4.5"), my use of the laptop was significantly reduced.
This is something I appreciate and value greatly.

1. I don't take much selfies. I don't even like pictures all that much. Over 4 years I own a smartphone, I have 5 selfies. 4 of them were taken this summer. And 2-3 will be deleted. I just haven't put my mind to choose.

2. I never used a fingerprint lock so I doubt I'll notice the difference.

3. Screen... Maybe it is something worth considering.

I guess I want a device to cut the necessity of turning on my laptop.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

If you’re thinking about reducing laptop usage, then the 6s is cut out for you. You will definitely profit from the bigger screen that the 6s offers and if you opt for the 6s Plus, that benefit will even be more for you.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
2nd gen. touch ID is indeed faster, but not by much, but faster, and that's where the matter ends (for me). I actually prefer the 1st gen., because the split second pause gives me a chance to see the time without automatically jump to unlocking the screen against my will. That "split second" is really shorter than the blink of eyes, and never made me miss a train because of it.

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Well, I really don’t think that the new Touch ID is "much faster" than the previous gen. Yes, it is faster, but not that noticeable.

I know it's not that fast. But once you use them side by side daily you tend to notice the difference and it's a tad annoying using the first gen. Both my SE and ipad pro 9.7 have first gen ID. using them alongside my iPhone 6s gets to me that times. Maybe I am just being a cry baby.

But ya. As you said it not too fast. Someone not having the 2nd Gen won't even notice it's slow.

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
@Rev17 And just when I was 90% sure I wanted the SE.
I don't have an iPad and I never had anything Apple. Just a normal laptop.
Since I got the Lumia (4.5"), my use of the laptop was significantly reduced.
This is something I appreciate and value greatly.

1. I don't take much selfies. I don't even like pictures all that much. Over 4 years I own a smartphone, I have 5 selfies. 4 of them were taken this summer. And 2-3 will be deleted. I just haven't put my mind to choose.

2. I never used a fingerprint lock so I doubt I'll notice the difference.

3. Screen... Maybe it is something worth considering.

Haha sorry to add onto your confusion.
But to be honest, if you are looking at doing tasks you would otherwise use your computer for, 6s would be a better option than the SE.

But If you just want to use it as your personal communicator - texting, calling and the occasional photograph, SE would make much more sense.

DarkSylph

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Haha sorry to add onto your confusion.
But to be honest, if you are looking at doing tasks you would otherwise use your computer for, 6s would be a better option than the SE.

But If you just want to use it as your personal communicator - texting, calling and the occasional photograph, SE would make much more sense.

Now I'm 70% SE and 30% 6S.
It'd be so much easier if a family member or a friend had one for me to see how it is in reality. Most stores I've seen don't have the SE.

The 6S Plus is definitely out of the question. Way too big.

Maybe I should ponder on your suggestion of SE + tablet/iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR