SE/SE 2 in 2018?

nestixel

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a new phone next year, in summer, and I'm wondering will SE be good choice, if SE 2's relase price gets too high, or if it doesn't even get relased. I'm using my phones for music, whatsapp and one or two simple games. Will SE last 3-4 years for me? Sorry for bad english :D

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: SE/SE 2 in 2018.?

It sounds like the SE should suit your needs just fine, although I can’t help but question whether it will be supported by Apple for the next 3-4 years (with software updates). It’s likely Apple will either update the SE or discontinue it at some point next year. IF they update the SE it will likely stay at the same price point as the current SE, if not only slightly more expensive.

G1DRP

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site

I think the SE will still last 3-4 years do long as you look after your battery. The updates are not so critical really, in my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
SE/SE 2 in 2018.?

I'm thinking of buying a new phone next year, in summer, and I'm wondering will SE be good choice, if SE 2's relase price gets too high, or if it doesn't even get relased. I'm using my phones for music, whatsapp and one or two simple games. Will SE last 3-4 years for me? Sorry for bad english

The phone itself should last the timeframe you mentioned, but whether or not iOS or any of the games or apps you may install continue to support it remains to be seen. As for a second generation iPhone SE, I haven’t seen anything concrete about it. Just rumors and wishes.

Last edited:

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

I'm thinking of buying a new phone next year, in summer, and I'm wondering will SE be good choice, if SE 2's relase price gets too high, or if it doesn't even get relased. I'm using my phones for music, whatsapp and one or two simple games. Will SE last 3-4 years for me? Sorry for bad english :D

The SE released last year may have been a one-off in my opinion, as that form factor is starting to feel a bit outdated. I doubt Apple will release a second gen.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

The SE released last year may have been a one-off in my opinion, as that form factor is starting to feel a bit outdated. I doubt Apple will release a second gen.

I always got the feeling that Apple had a bunch of leftover parts from previous iPhones and decided they might as well turn them into phones and sell them under the name iPhone SE. I feel like it probably sold pretty well though, especially internationally. If Apple can make enough money on a new SE, and that they won’t just be cannibalizing sales of their other models, they’ll release a new one. If not, they’ll probably let the current model stick around for another year or so then discontinue it.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I think (hope) that Apple continues the SE. It proved that there is a market for a 4 inch phone and the people that can’t or won’t drop a $1000 on a cellphone will have no choice butto go to Android and the millions of phone choices they have so a small fraction of the price of an iPhone... Apple is not walking away from that market

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think (hope) that Apple continues the SE. It proved that there is a market for a 4 inch phone and the people that can’t or won’t drop a $1000 on a cellphone will have no choice butto go to Android and the millions of phone choices they have so a small fraction of the price of an iPhone... Apple is not walking away from that market

It will be good for Apple if they keep selling two-year old iPhones by reducing their price by $100-200, like they did this year with the 6S. Although they won’t be as powerful as the latest gen, they will provide customers with more budget options. Apple won’t have to release another gen of the SE then.

Last edited:

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
It will be good for Apple if they keep selling two-year old iPhones by reducing their price by $100-200, like they did this year with the 6S. Although they won’t be as powerful as the latest gen, they will provide customers with more budget options. Apple won’t have to release another gen of the SE then.

You may be right, but I know a lot of people that want that 4 inch screen.. They may update and change the look and specs... but I hope a 4 inch phone is in their future

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You may be right, but I know a lot of people that want that 4 inch screen.. They may update and change the look and specs... but I hope a 4 inch phone is in their future

Agreed. I for one, would buy an updated SE in a heartbeat. Even now, I cannot decided between the SE and my new 8. SE's palm sized compact and light weight configuration is super. I prefer its performance and functionality over price. Apple know they found a very solid market (demographics) and I do not think they would walk away from it. Keeping the form factor, shaving bezel space (like they did on X) and stuff it with 7 or 8 guts would be drooling.

As for the longevity of the curent SE, it will be good for as long as the 6s survives.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I for one, would buy an updated SE in a heartbeat. Even now, I cannot decided between the SE and my new 8. SE's palm sized compact and light weight configuration is super. I prefer its performance and functionality over price. Apple know they found a very solid market (demographics) and I do not think they would walk away from it. Keeping the form factor, shaving bezel space (like they did on X) and stuff it with 7 or 8 guts would be drooling.

As for the longevity of the curent SE, it will be good for as long as the 6s survives.

I also have an SE as the backup to my 8+ and I wrestle with changing. The SE is just so damn convenient. I would also buy an SE 2 in a minute

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

The SE has internals that will easily make it another 3+ years. By then the price will be even lower and for your use it should be fine.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I've said many times that I would gladly buy an updated SE at launch, full price. Price isn't the driving factor for me, it is the size. I see people saying Apple is just selling old parts or old phones for a lower price, but you have to remember that when the SE came out, it had the same specs as the flagship at that time, the 6S. If they can do that with the internals for the 8 in a size similar to the current SE, I think it would definitely be a success. I don't need the design to stay the same, but I would also be ok if they did keep it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711