No SE 2? :(

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
As I expected, no SE 2 was announced today. For the people with strong hope, WWDC is all that's left. Not very hopeful of that happening either though. We'll see.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
As I expected, no SE 2 was announced today. For the people with strong hope, WWDC is all that's left. Not very hopeful of that happening either though. We'll see.

Sadly that seems true, though there are still rumors of 3 devices this year. Unfortunately if those rumors are true the "cheap" iPhone will be a 6.1" model, not something most SE users would be interested in. There are those that like the SE due to price, not size, but like screen size, price is expected to go up as well, so they seem to be missing all targets.

Guess its good we have embraced larger devices libra. Falling right into Apple's maniacal plan...

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Sadly that seems true, though there are still rumors of 3 devices this year. Unfortunately if those rumors are true the "cheap" iPhone will be a 6.1" model, not something most SE users would be interested in. There are those that like the SE due to price, not size, but like screen size, price is expected to go up as well, so they seem to be missing all targets.

Guess its good we have embraced larger devices libra. Falling right into Apple's maniacal plan...

Right! I think you are so right about that. I just watched EverythingApplePro's video of updated rumors and the lineup is what I figured, with the SE remaining how it is.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

There is no requirement for Apple to have events to announce products; such as the iPad last year was not announced at any event, just Apple made an announcement. I think it is possible that could happen with a new SE -- in fact, I could see them doing it (if the new SE has wireless charging, as rumored) when they finally announce the AirPower going on sale, as well as the wireless charging case for the AirPods.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
There is no requirement for Apple to have events to announce products; such as the iPad last year was not announced at any event, just Apple made an announcement. I think it is possible that could happen with a new SE -- in fact, I could see them doing it (if the new SE has wireless charging, as rumored) when they finally announce the AirPower going on sale, as well as the wireless charging case for the AirPods.

That's a great point but in recent memory, Apple usually launches new iPhones at events. I can't remember the last time any new iPhones were just announced. Storage bumps and new colors aren't worth a event but a new iPhone? Yep, but maybe with other things as well.

I still doubt the possibility. If anything, Apple can leave it the way it is and it would be Apple's only phone with a headphone jack.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Plenty of other small smart phones are available. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alcatel-Pi...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3052823
The 5SE has very wide bezels, so for the same physical size you can get a device with a larger screen. https://3g.co.uk/reviews/lg-k3-review-a-super-cheap-smartphone

That's true there are other small phones, but if you want a small iPhone the SE is it, and if you want a small phone with higher end performance, the SE or the Sony Xperia Compact series are about it, and the Sony is almost the same size as the regular 4.7" iPhones.

I don't think they are going to have an event for the AirPower or charging case. They already announced them, and they will just go on sale. It would be like the HomePod. Sadly I think our next chance for an SE is WWDC, but more realistically I think it will be the fall if at all. Then all the iPhone releases would be at the same time of the year, which I guess there are pros and cons to that as well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I really thought there was going be announcement about a new iPhone SE yesterday. But as I was reading a Live Blog and watching, I realized that it wasn’t the appropriate time for such an announcement. Everything is education-based, and announcing something just for the sake of announcing really would not have been appropriate. My guess is that we will hear something in June at WWDC!

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the SE2 has been ready for launching, but as you know, it is assembled in India. It's good for India not just to supply the domestic need for competitively priced phones, but also to export it from India, a lot of them. In the last 10 days or so, I remember reading articles, stating that the Indian government has some issues with Apple regarding satisfying their domestic market, and things are almost on a stalemate now. There is a couple of specific reasons for this but I do not remember what they are (partly because I was so disappointed that the launching of the SE2 would not happen any time soon until they have solved whatever differences they currently have, and stopped reading the article to the end:).
But I will definitely be ditching my current iP8 and grab an SE2 as soon as it's made available to outside India.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
There are new rumors today of a WWDC launch of the SE2. Technobuffalo is reporting that there are new iPhone model numbers that have shown up at the European Economic Comission.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
The rumors haven't amounted to anything. Is anyone disappointed? I'll admit that I am just a little bit and it makes me wonder if it will even be a thing at all.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the latest rumors said all phones will come out in September, so I am not concerned right now, after that point I would be. The latest rumors also show an edge to edge screen in the same form factor, which is something I never thought we would see. I would be very tempted to give up my X for that.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think the latest rumors said all phones will come out in September, so I am not concerned right now, after that point I would be. The latest rumors also show an edge to edge screen in the same form factor, which is something I never thought we would see. I would be very tempted to give up my X for that.

This is true but I'll have to see it to believe it. It's hard for me to believe that they will announce/release 4 iPhones in September because that's a lot of phones at once and that also means that Apple will have to remove a lot of phones from their site/inventory as well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Let's keep up hopes for a new SE in September. I had thought Apple might announce it yesterday, but then I heard they weren't going to announce any hardware.... just software only. So for the SE fans out there.... hang tight!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My suspicion is that they may have some type of summer hardware event. Allegedly they still are supposed to be announcing new iPads. I don't believe an SE2 will be announced in September; the most solid rumors I've seen point to only 3 phones announced in September, with the smallest being the same size as the current X.

I'm still hoping for an SE2 but I suspect we will need to see it before September, or that there will not be one until at least next year.

JakubRWrobel

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Here's my take on this: if no new iPhone SE is announced by the time December begins, I will keep my SE instead of updating to the 2nd smallest iPhone (size-wise) and will replace the battery in the SE instead. It'll be covered under the battery replacement program and with iOS 12 and it's performance-rich features, I should have a almost-like-new iPhone SE!

SupNorm

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
I was disappointed not to see any hardware updates. Everyone tells me WWDC was always about software announcements only. If my memory serves, there used to be software update days and hardware days at WWDC, right?