No SE 2? :(

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Shut your mouth!!

I don't think there will be a release this year or two keynotes. I'm thinking Spring, but if it came out this fall I would gladly buy it then!

He did do a lot of ranting, but if you could get through that he did make one good point he made was about the large screen small bezel designs shrinking the size of large screen devices. If they make a 5.8" phone that is similar in size to the current 4.7", then a 5" phone could be smaller and closer to the current SE size. I would consider that a good compromise.

It's the form factor (size & shape in hand) that's the draw. That video guy got it wrong (again); it's NOT the screen size. Reduce the bezels and squeeze in more screen and they'll have very happy former SE owners.

Unfortunately, his statement that the OLED 5.8" iPhone 8 will be only a little bigger than the SE is fantasy. If you look at the "leaked" lineup you see that even with no bezels the body ends up halfway between a 7s and 7s+. No, Mr video guy, that's not even close. :rolls eyes:

But as @camaroz1985 suggests, if in 2018 they keep the standard iPhone's 4.7" screen (not bump it up to 5.2" or something) and put it in a body with minimal bezels, THAT might be okay. But I'm afraid they'll keep the current 4.7" body size and increase the screen to fill it edge-to-edge (about a 5.2" screen). That would be a no-go for me!

... Until my SE can no longer smoothly run what I want to run on it, anyway. :(

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
It's the form factor (size & shape in hand) that's the draw. That video guy got it wrong (again); it's NOT the screen size. Reduce the bezels and squeeze in more screen and they'll have very happy former SE owners.

Unfortunately, his statement that the OLED 5.8" iPhone 8 will be only a little bigger than the SE is fantasy. If you look at the "leaked" lineup you see that even with no bezels the body ends up halfway between a 7s and 7s+. No, Mr video guy, that's not even close. :rolls eyes:

But as @camaroz1985 suggests, if in 2018 they keep the standard iPhone's 4.7" screen (not bump it up to 5.2" or something) and put it in a body with minimal bezels, THAT might be okay. But I'm afraid they'll keep the current 4.7" body size and increase the screen to fill it edge-to-edge (about a 5.2" screen). That would be a no-go for me!

... Until my SE can no longer smoothly run what I want to run on it, anyway. :(

He said the 5.8" phone would be only slightly bigger than the 7, not the SE, and I can see that being true (that is what the leaks show anyway). That is why I said if they took a 4.7-5.2" screen and made it edge to edge then you would have a phone closer to the size of the current SE, and I would be more than ok with that.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
He said the 5.8" phone would be only slightly bigger than the 7, not the SE, and I can see that being true (that is what the leaks show anyway). That is why I said if they took a 4.7-5.2" screen and made it edge to edge then you would have a phone closer to the size of the current SE, and I would be more than ok with that.

I stand corrected. He *was* implying that the iP8's size should be acceptable to SE owners, IIRC. I'm not going to watch it again to see—it's probably best at this point to ignore rumors and anti-rumor-ranters. We'll see what we see as time passes. Regardless of the outcome my SE is still good for a couple of years, at least. :D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Shut your mouth!!

I don't think there will be a release this year or two keynotes. I'm thinking Spring, but if it came out this fall I would gladly buy it then!

He did do a lot of ranting, but if you could get through that he did make one good point he made was about the large screen small bezel designs shrinking the size of large screen devices. If they make a 5.8" phone that is similar in size to the current 4.7", then a 5" phone could be smaller and closer to the current SE size. I would consider that a good compromise.

This is why I think that. That design has been out since 2013. Well 2012 if you want to say the iPhone 5. I don't think Apple will release another phone with the design that is 5-6 years old and I don't see them spending the money or resources to resign the SE.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is why I think that. That design has been out since 2013. Well 2012 if you want to say the iPhone 5. I don't think Apple will release another phone with the design that is 5-6 years old and I don't see them spending the money or resources to resign the SE.

I agree with this. But when I say that I think there will be a follow up to the SE, I don't necessarily think it'll have the same form factor. Just a device that has the footprint of the SE but with a nearly bezel-less screen. No way they'd release another with the same form factor.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree with this. But when I say that I think there will be a follow up to the SE, I don't necessarily think it'll have the same form factor. Just a device that has the footprint of the SE but with a nearly bezel-less screen. No way they'd release another with the same form factor.

I would be good with this. The form factor is a bit old, so a refresh would be nice. Keeping fingers crossed.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree as well. I just want the overall size to be about the same. I am good with a footprint/design change, and if it is bezel-less then obviously the screen size would be larger. I'm still hopeful.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree as well. I just want the overall size to be about the same. I am good with a footprint/design change, and if it is bezel-less then obviously the screen size would be larger. I'm still hopeful.

Apple could certainly put a larger screen in the same form factor by reducing the size of the bezels. And they would surely squeeze the top and bottom as well. Depends if they want to play in the $400 space, which may win them some extra sales, but may also cannibalise the sales of more profitable models. They might also be able to cut the price of the 6S to around $400 at some point.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
If price is your biggest factor, that would work, but size is what keeps me with the SE. I would pay the 7/7S price for an updated SE. I may be the minority on that, though.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I stand corrected. He *was* implying that the iP8's size should be acceptable to SE owners, IIRC. I'm not going to watch it again to see—it's probably best at this point to ignore rumors and anti-rumor-ranters. We'll see what we see as time passes. Regardless of the outcome my SE is still good for a couple of years, at least. :D

Most likely more than a couple of years. 👍

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Not that I need a new phone, my current SE still works fine, I'm glad they are continuing the form factor and will support it.

I want to pull the trigger on the SE and try it out but I am using a 7plus right now. One extreme to another! I refuse to get a 7 bc the battery life is not good enough for me. Battery is my most important feature. But then I'm losing 3d touch which I use sometimes. Idk if I can work with that size screen but something about the portability is making me want to try it

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I want to pull the trigger on the SE and try it out but I am using a 7plus right now. One extreme to another! I refuse to get a 7 bc the battery life is not good enough for me. Battery is my most important feature. But then I'm losing 3d touch which I use sometimes. Idk if I can work with that size screen but something about the portability is making me want to try it

It certainly is a big difference in size.
For me, I use my phone for calls, texts, email, weather, etc. Everything else is done on my iPad Pro. So for me the battery life and pocketability are most important. If you watch movies on your phone, for instance, it may not be the best choice.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
It certainly is a big difference in size.
For me, I use my phone for calls, texts, email, weather, etc. Everything else is done on my iPad Pro. So for me the battery life and pocketability are most important. If you watch movies on your phone, for instance, it may not be the best choice.

I don't watch movies on my phone but I do watch some YouTube videos from time to time. I mainly use my phone for texting, taking pics, phone calls obviously, and internet surfing. I had an iPad air 2 and ended up giving it to my 3 year old bc I never used it. I bet if I had a smaller size phone I'd use the iPad more, just have no need to with a 5.5" screen. That's why I love my 7 plus just sometimes wish it wasn't as big as it is.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't watch movies on my phone but I do watch some YouTube videos from time to time. I mainly use my phone for texting, taking pics, phone calls obviously, and internet surfing. I had an iPad air 2 and ended up giving it to my 3 year old bc I never used it. I bet if I had a smaller size phone I'd use the iPad more, just have no need to with a 5.5" screen. That's why I love my 7 plus just sometimes wish it wasn't as big as it is.

Yup. Some people are looking to use 1 device so I understand. Others have long train or bus rides and want entertainment or reading. Makes sense. Me, I just want a very mobile device with decent specs. The SE fits the bill. My iPad Pro is for home or travel.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Yup. Some people are looking to use 1 device so I understand. Others have long train or bus rides and want entertainment or reading. Makes sense. Me, I just want a very mobile device with decent specs. The SE fits the bill. My iPad Pro is for home or travel.

Exactly. Except in my case it's an iPad mini 4 that I use all the time when a larger screen is needed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen