No SE 2? :(

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Watched a youtube video last night where EverythingApplePro stated that his sources (I think a business analyst in China) said there will not be an update to the SE, that the focus will be on 5+ inch screens, and that the majority of people that bought the SE were budget shoppers, buying because it was the "cheap" iPhone, not because they liked the size.

That was definitely not the case for me, and it seems not for a lot of others on here either. I'm really hoping that his info is wrong, but I could also see Apple going that way. I'm not dead set that an updated phone would need to be a 4" screen. If it has overall dimensions of the SE, and a larger screen, then the rumor that the focus on phones in the larger screens could be correct, and we could still have our small, pocketable phone.

Here is the video, SE 2 discussion starts at 6:53.
https://youtu.be/K80_JFuUCTU?t=413

When I saw the title I was hoping for some good news for the SE 2. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I like the SE, but I'd kind of see where Apple is coming from. I'd guess every two years an upgrade since that's about how long it took them to update the 5S. The SE is solid for now and I don't think it's in the cards for an update

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The trend these days is for bigger phones in smaller packages much like Samsung did with the nearly bezeless S8. The next iPhone/iPhones will likely be the same, smaller foot print BUT still a big screen.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm saddened to hear this. I hope that it isn't true but come to think of it, there hasn't been any rumors for a while about an SE 2. Even a Reddit Ama a month or so ago, there was no answer on an SE 2.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm saddened to hear this. I hope that it isn't true but come to think of it, there hasn't been any rumors for a while about an SE 2. Even a Reddit Ama a month or so ago, there was no answer on an SE 2.

There's a rumor right now, if you want to get your hopes up. A late August SE2 announcement. Yes, this August, as in a little over a month from now. Perhaps (if the impossible becomes true) it's Apple's consolation for being late on the other phones this year? Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/19/iphone-se-2-late-august-event-rumor/

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
There's a rumor right now, if you want to get your hopes up. A late August SE2 announcement. Yes, this August, as in a little over a month from now. Perhaps (if the impossible becomes true) it's Apple's consolation for being late on the other phones this year? Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/19/iphone-se-2-late-august-event-rumor/

Hmm that's really interesting. This is one of those I would have to see to believe but I'm doubting it.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That does seem to be a bit questionable. I would love it to be true, but I doubt it a lot.

The one thing in the article that made sense was Apple not wanting to cannibalize sales with a smaller cheaper phone that is essentially the same as the 7, but then I got to thinking. That is exactly what they had when they introduced it last year, a smaller, cheaper version of the then current flagship, 6S. If they did it now with the 7 specs it would at least be closer to the end of the product cycle by a couple months. I'm hoping for an update in March 2018 with 7S (or even 7) specs.

All I want is the overall size similar to what we have now, with 3D touch, and water resistance. Upgraded cameras (front and rear), or a bigger screen would just be icing on the cake, and I really don't care if it stays with the current design or adopts the more rounded form of the 6 and up. I'm not picky haha.

I wonder how many SEs were sold. The article says that 30 million 4 inch phones were sold in 2015, but the majority of that year, a 4 inch phone was your only option. I'm sure the profit margin isn't as great on the SE vs the flagships so I can understand an update every two years. I also would be fine if the price was increased to match the bigger phones. I'm not buying the SE for the budget aspect, I want the smaller size with high(ish) end specs. The appeal for me is that with the SE is that I am not sacrificing performance, or at least not very much, to keep the smaller size.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That does seem to be a bit questionable. I would love it to be true, but I doubt it a lot.

The one thing in the article that made sense was Apple not wanting to cannibalize sales with a smaller cheaper phone that is essentially the same as the 7, but then I got to thinking. That is exactly what they had when they introduced it last year, a smaller, cheaper version of the then current flagship, 6S. If they did it now with the 7 specs it would at least be closer to the end of the product cycle by a couple months. I'm hoping for an update in March 2018 with 7S (or even 7) specs.

All I want is the overall size similar to what we have now, with 3D touch, and water resistance. Upgraded cameras (front and rear), or a bigger screen would just be icing on the cake, and I really don't care if it stays with the current design or adopts the more rounded form of the 6 and up. I'm not picky haha.

I wonder how many SEs were sold. The article says that 30 million 4 inch phones were sold in 2015, but the majority of that year, a 4 inch phone was your only option. I'm sure the profit margin isn't as great on the SE vs the flagships so I can understand an update every two years. I also would be fine if the price was increased to match the bigger phones. I'm not buying the SE for the budget aspect, I want the smaller size with high(ish) end specs. The appeal for me is that with the SE is that I am not sacrificing performance, or at least not very much, to keep the smaller size.

I'd be happy with every 2 years also. Let's hope they consider it.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Watched a youtube video last night where EverythingApplePro stated that his sources (I think a business analyst in China) said there will not be an update to the SE, that the focus will be on 5+ inch screens, and that the majority of people that bought the SE were budget shoppers, buying because it was the "cheap" iPhone, not because they liked the size.

That was definitely not the case for me, and it seems not for a lot of others on here either. I'm really hoping that his info is wrong, but I could also see Apple going that way. I'm not dead set that an updated phone would need to be a 4" screen. If it has overall dimensions of the SE, and a larger screen, then the rumor that the focus on phones in the larger screens could be correct, and we could still have our small, pocketable phone.

Here is the video, SE 2 discussion starts at 6:53.
https://youtu.be/K80_JFuUCTU?t=413

When I saw the title I was hoping for some good news for the SE 2. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Apple like most companies, is about profit. They sold a large quantity of SE's and made a nice profit from it. If they see a nice profit to be made from an SE-2, they will consider it.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... The one thing in the article that made sense was Apple not wanting to cannibalize sales with a smaller cheaper phone that is essentially the same as the 7, but then I got to thinking. That is exactly what they had when they introduced it last year, a smaller, cheaper version of the then current flagship, 6S. If they did it now with the 7 specs it would at least be closer to the end of the product cycle by a couple months...

Agreed, if you think about it this would be the perfect timing for an SE2 release. Also, the SE has no track record—there's been only one—so it's unknown whether or not such a release schedule is "likely".

That said, I wouldn't bet any money on this rumor being true. However, I shall certainly HOPE it's true with all my heart. ;)

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I like this guy (even if I don't totally agree with some points). He has a solid point about Apple probably not having a keynote for only one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEai5XF2odI

My college French is too rusty so I ran the original rumor post through a translator. It doesn't say that there will be a keynote for just one thing, it says (in essence) it'll be for the iPhones other than the 8/Edition/whatever which is likely to be late. So we're talking about a late August/early September event for the LED 7s smartphones and *possibly* an updated SE, then the OLED "8" six weeks or so later.

Likely? Nobody is saying so. Possible? Of course. And for someone who thinks the rumor is pure fluff (which everyone already agrees is probably the case), that video guy sure spent a lot of time arguing about it and nearly ranting about how we all should get over the SE and embrace a larger iPhone. Sheesh, axe to grind or something? What does it matter to others if those of us who desire a smaller form factor actually get what we want? I don't get the hostility.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
My college French is too rusty so I ran the original rumor post through a translator. It doesn't say that there will be a keynote for just one thing, it says (in essence) it'll be for the iPhones other than the 8/Edition/whatever which is likely to be late. So we're talking about a late August/early September event for the LED 7s smartphones and *possibly* an updated SE, then the OLED "8" six weeks or so later.

Likely? Nobody is saying so. Possible? Of course. And for someone who thinks the rumor is pure fluff (which everyone already agrees is probably the case), that video guy sure spent a lot of time arguing about it and nearly ranting about how we all should get over the SE and embrace a larger iPhone. Sheesh, axe to grind or something? What does it matter to others if those of us who desire a smaller form factor actually get what we want? I don't get the hostility.
I totally agree with you. He had some points but I thought that his ranting was stupid. Okay so a lot of people got it because it's a "cheap" iPhone. So?

Thanks for the translation. It's totally not likely for them to invite press two times a couple of weeks apart.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the SE is going to be like the 5C, a one time thing.

Shut your mouth!!

I don't think there will be a release this year or two keynotes. I'm thinking Spring, but if it came out this fall I would gladly buy it then!

He did do a lot of ranting, but if you could get through that he did make one good point he made was about the large screen small bezel designs shrinking the size of large screen devices. If they make a 5.8" phone that is similar in size to the current 4.7", then a 5" phone could be smaller and closer to the current SE size. I would consider that a good compromise.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73