Which is best - New iPhone 5S or Refurb iPhone SE?

New010203

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

My iPhone 5C recently broke, so I'm needing to buy a new phone. I'm thinking of either buying a new iPhone 5S or a refurbished iPhone SE (which would be £60 more than the 5S).

The refurbished SE comes with a basic 1 year warranty from the seller and obviously the new 5S would be under Apple's warranty.

I'm not too concerned about having the "latest tech". I use my phone mostly for Whatsapp, Facetime, some emailing and browsing websites. I have been getting frustrated with how slow the 5C was though. Don't stream music or video on my phone though.

Which option would people suggest?

Thanks in advance.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That seems like an easy choice, SE all day. For the 60 extra it is well worth it, and will last you longer (performance will be better, and support for further iOS updates). 5S will most likely not get updates after this year.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
If you are in a place in the world where Apple's 1 year warranty is extended, I would suggest going with the 5s, provided that the storage of the SE is lesser than what you would get with the 5s. You should be just fine with that based on your usage.

The SE is more future proof though. It all depends on the storage situation though.

New010203

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, everyone. Really helpful, I'm pretty tempted to go for the refurb SE. Need to check if it'd be covered under insurance though.

mmedez

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

My iPhone 5C recently broke, so I'm needing to buy a new phone. I'm thinking of either buying a new iPhone 5S or a refurbished iPhone SE (which would be £60 more than the 5S).

The refurbished SE comes with a basic 1 year warranty from the seller and obviously the new 5S would be under Apple's warranty.

I'm not too concerned about having the "latest tech". I use my phone mostly for Whatsapp, Facetime, some emailing and browsing websites. I have been getting frustrated with how slow the 5C was though. Don't stream music or video on my phone though.

Which option would people suggest?

Thanks in advance.

SE 100%

mmedez

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
The A9 processors are more efficient than the A7 thus prolonging battery life. If I go for the smaller iphone, i always pick battery as my top consideration

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
$60 isn't worth it. Even if it was $100, I'd still say get the SE. It's a much better long-term investment if you plan on keeping the phone for 2-3 years. As long as it's a good refurb, it should be not much different then getting a second hand device in excellent condition.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, everyone. Really helpful, I'm pretty tempted to go for the refurb SE. Need to check if it'd be covered under insurance though.
I would also agree with many others here. The referb iPhone SE is well worth it. Even if performance and having the latest specs isn't important to you it will be supported longer with software updates so that's always a plus 😃

Have you made the purchase yet or still deciding? Let us know. We always love seeing pictures.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
For what it's worth, I recently got a iPhone SE, refurbished, and I couldn't be more satisfied. I can't tell the difference between this one and a new one. Of course your results with a refurbished phone may vary... but with a one year warranty it's hard to go wrong.

Get the SE.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit