iPhone SE screen questions

anon(10209235)

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I have some queries regarding the screen on the iPhone SE. So basically, I didn't really pay attention and instead of placing the phone gently on my wooden desk, i just let it fall from a very small height face down onto the wooden desk. It wasn't a very big one, but a rather small height.

However I'm a bit worried because according to the article "The science behind a shattered phone screen" by dailymail it says

"If it falls face down you might escape without too much damage because the stress of impact is spread across the entire surface. It would almost certainly undergo damage, which you maybe couldn’t see with the naked eye, which would cause it to shatter on a subsequent occasion.

But if you drop your phone onto one of the corners, the uneven surface means the point of contact between the glass and ground is small and focused, directing the entire force of the impact onto one small point."

But the thing is, the screen only has scratches, not cracks. And these scratches are extremely difficult to see unless you try and look for them. So did I still weaken the strength of the glass? Or does that only happen if there are actual cracks? I have examined the phone glass and there is not a single crack, just minor scratches.

Another reason why I'm bit confused is because there's an EverythingApplePro video of drop testing the SE vs 5s. He dropped the SE (the one with no case) from very high heights multiple times and it took a lot of times until the screen started to shatter, so is he just lucky or is the glass made to stand small drops?

I would really appreciate your response to this matter. Thanks.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I have some queries regarding the screen on the iPhone SE. So basically, I didn't really pay attention and instead of placing the phone gently on my wooden desk, i just let it fall from a very small height face down onto the wooden desk. It wasn't a very big one, but a rather small height.

However I'm a bit worried because according to the article "The science behind a shattered phone screen" by dailymail it says

"If it falls face down you might escape without too much damage because the stress of impact is spread across the entire surface. It would almost certainly undergo damage, which you maybe couldn’t see with the naked eye, which would cause it to shatter on a subsequent occasion.

But if you drop your phone onto one of the corners, the uneven surface means the point of contact between the glass and ground is small and focused, directing the entire force of the impact onto one small point."

But the thing is, the screen only has scratches, not cracks. And these scratches are extremely difficult to see unless you try and look for them. So did I still weaken the strength of the glass? Or does that only happen if there are actual cracks? I have examined the phone glass and there is not a single crack, just minor scratches.

Another reason why I'm bit confused is because there's an EverythingApplePro video of drop testing the SE vs 5s. He dropped the SE (the one with no case) from very high heights multiple times and it took a lot of times until the screen started to shatter, so is he just lucky or is the glass made to stand small drops?

I would really appreciate your response to this matter. Thanks.

Don't let that article bother you. Your iPhone screen is not going to crack in the future because you dropped it previously. Granted, if you accidentally drop it again, it could always crack or break but, as you saw from the drop test video, the screen is manufactured to resist damage due to drops.

If you still worry about your screen cracking (since fear/worry is often not rational), then put a screen protector on. There are plenty of good glass screen protectors that help strengthen and protect your screen, and it is hard to tell they are even installed.

anon(10209235)

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Don't let that article bother you. Your iPhone screen is not going to crack in the future because you dropped it previously. Granted, if you accidentally drop it again, it could always crack or break but, as you saw from the drop test video, the screen is manufactured to resist damage due to drops.

If you still worry about your screen cracking (since fear/worry is often not rational), then put a screen protector on. There are plenty of good glass screen protectors that help strengthen and protect your screen, and it is hard to tell they are even installed.

Yeah, I was really confused when reading that article. I did a drop testing with a Nexus 5X which doesn't work anymore so it doesn't matter, and did it from small-medium height between the phone and the floor, the glass didn't break, just these micro-scratches (but they were there before I even dropped it once) I'm guessing since iPhone is more premium the glass in it would be more of higher quality.

I have a leather case on it as well.

anon(10209235)

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Btw is that scratch I'm talking about oleophobic coating? I don't feel the scratch if I run my finger through it, but I feel it a bit with my fingernail.