Current iPhone SE owners: will you upgrade your storage?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I could do it, too. The audio stuff is in the Cloud, easily re-downloadable, and I only keep it on my iPhone out of convenience and inertia. 32 GB is definitely doable. It's an Apple minimum that (finally!) makes realistic sense. :)

Agreed, 8 or 16GB is too small, but 32GB is doable. At least I know I can buy the smallest SE 2 when it comes out ;)

Both of you are right. What makes this tricky for me is that I still have AppleCare+ on this 1 year old SE so I'll like to have that applied/transferred. I'm really thinking about doing it, but I'm debating which channel. Apple or cricket. Cricket is cheaper for sure but that means that I'll have another phone to sell. I'm kind of tired of selling phones.

Edit: I think I will probably go through Apple.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
So I got the other SE today and I have learned that cricket only does VoLTE on their own phones, and it doesn't work for unlocked SIM-free iPhones. The issue is not my phone, that's just how it is. I'm going to return it. Welp. Yes I know this sounds strange but I needed to know what the deal is. I'll keep an eye out for cricket to have 32gb iPhone SEs or I might bite on the 64gb SE they have right now.

Ironically enough, Apple wasn't letting me sign in on the phone so it makes it easier for me to do that.

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
32gb is definitely manageable. We need to remember that the usable space difference between 16gb and 32gb is more like 3 times as much due to the space the os takes up on the phone

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
So I got the other SE today and I have learned that cricket only does VoLTE on their own phones, and it doesn't work for unlocked SIM-free iPhones. The issue is not my phone, that's just how it is. I'm going to return it. Welp. Yes I know this sounds strange but I needed to know what the deal is. I'll keep an eye out for cricket to have 32gb iPhone SEs or I might bite on the 64gb SE they have right now.

Ironically enough, Apple wasn't letting me sign in on the phone so it makes it easier for me to do that.

Well that is good to know. I kind of suspected that might be the case, seem to remember them having the same policy on Windows Phones. Maybe @Dconn1975 will sell you his ;) Cricket has a great price for the 64GB. I hadn't seen that until now, only $30 more than the 32 was, and even available in all the colors. Can't really go wrong there.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Well that is good to know. I kind of suspected that might be the case, seem to remember them having the same policy on Windows Phones. Maybe @Dconn1975 will sell you his ;) Cricket has a great price for the 64GB. I hadn't seen that until now, only $30 more than the 32 was, and even available in all the colors. Can't really go wrong there.

Hmm I might think about it, I went nuts buying a new screen protector and dBrand skin already. I tried to cancel the screen protector but Amazon couldn't do it. I even have a temporary screen protector that I can't return. I want a silver SE.

I totally forgot about the Windows Phone thing, that's a great point.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
So you would buy the silver one from Cricket (the best color I think), and sell your current unlocked one? I would think you could probably break even on that deal, or very close to it, and then have Cricket unlock it after a couple months and have an unlocked phone again if you need to switch carriers or for better resale value when you decide to sell it.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
So you would buy the silver one from Cricket (the best color I think), and sell your current unlocked one? I would think you could probably break even on that deal, or very close to it, and then have Cricket unlock it after a couple months and have an unlocked phone again if you need to switch carriers or for better resale value when you decide to sell it.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. Hmm, I didn't even think of breaking even, you're right. It also has a little under a year of AppleCare+ left on it, so I'll have to contact Apple on how to transfer that to the buyer. Since you mentioned that, the idea of it is looking better and better. I just might do it if I can get it by Monday.

Knowing myself, I probably will do it haha. I looked at the SE that I am returning to Apple today and it looked so nice.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Today on the adventures with Libra, she hits another stumbling block...again!

(Kidding, I don't like writing in third person)

I went to cricket during my lunch break and I got a silver, 64 gb iPhone. It was the last one left so I randomly decided to do it. Get this though, the 64gb also doesn't have VoLTE either or at least that seems to be the case. He skipped setup. When I have some time, I will reset this phone and try to setup fresh and see what happens. If it's the same result, I don't know what to do with myself. I like silver and I really want to own it but dang.

Hopefully it's not something that only ships with the 32 and 128gb SEs.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... Hopefully it's not something that only ships with the 32 and 128gb SEs.

I don't see why that would be. VoLTE works on my 64GB SE (Verizon, however). Cricket is on the AT&T network, so it's GSM and never needed VoLTE for data and voice at the same time. VoLTE is just for better quality voice. Is that worth the trouble, assuming you can't get it to work?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't see why that would be. VoLTE works on my 64GB SE (Verizon, however). Cricket is on the AT&T network, so it's GSM and never needed VoLTE for data and voice at the same time. VoLTE is just for better quality voice. Is that worth the trouble, assuming you can't get it to work?
Good question. At this point, I'm not sure actually. The fact that I had it before and I don't have it now just grinds me. I did get a nice deal (and accessories) so I should just keep it.

Are the 32 and 128GB shipping with iOS 10? I wonder if that could be the difference?
Yeah those ones are (I had a 32gb to test cricket out). Interestingly enough, this 64gb SE shipped with 10.2.1, so I don't get what the deal is.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Found this thread.

Says to try turning off Stream More and then back on. Don't know if you are currently using it or not.

Wow thank you so much. I tried both and apparently the rep was able to confirm that I have VoLTE on my account but I see no difference. I'll play with that Stream More toggle on occasion but I'm over it. Just going to keep this new SE since it has more storage anyway and the deal is great.

Edit: Let me try your other post and see how that goes for me.

Edit 2: No luck, I'll deal with it but glad to have a lot of room.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
What type of deal did you snag on the 64g? My local cricket only had the 32g in stock plus only had one left so I bought it for $199. Then turned around and called and had it totally unlocked. I would have gotten the 64g had they had it but 32g is also enough for me. My issue comes from the screen size so I'll be at some point picking up something with at least a 5 inch screen. I was curious of the difference that cricket was selling the 32g vs the 64g though. I didn't realize they carried the 64g. Also tell me about Volte and what exactly it does. I'm not familiar with it. Is it like wifi calling?
This deal is recent. They have the 64gb for $229.99. I have no idea why they chose to roll these things out separately but eh. Like you, I have no need for that much storage but since they don't have the 32gb option anymore (I have never seen it in silver though) and I wanted more than 16gb, that was my only option. I bought from Apple as well directly (returned it, it's on its way back) but it's hard to justify $100+ more for less storage.

VoLTE makes calls sound better, and also it allows you to use LTE speeds while doing something that needs data on a call. It's not necessary but nice to have. Like for example, say that you are trying to meet your friend somewhere so you call them. At the same time, you also want to look up something. You can do both without VoLTE but you'll be reduced to 4G speeds while on a call.

Edit: I hope that you find that sweet spot though for a phone and in a phone as well. I get how hard it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit