Current iPhone SE owners: will you upgrade your storage?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yep, hopefully for a while. I have tried so many phones and yet, I always find my way back to the SE. Now I have switched carriers, I'm pleased to go back to it, without worrying about radios.

Small phones like the SE seem to be a rare breed so I have less options. I would love a SE refresh but I'm good with using the current one in the meanwhile.

Did u go to Cricket?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Cricket definitely did have better coverage than Sprint, but so far I am ok with Sprint. There is one spot on my commute where I have poor service, but I generally listen to offline podcasts anyway so it isn't too big of an issue.

My only other word of advice for you was to reset carrier settings, but you have already done that, so I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you. I never even tried it on my SE so I can't really be of any help. Mine is unlocked, but originally for AT&T.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Cricket definitely did have better coverage than Sprint, but so far I am ok with Sprint. There is one spot on my commute where I have poor service, but I generally listen to offline podcasts anyway so it isn't too big of an issue.

My only other word of advice for you was to reset carrier settings, but you have already done that, so I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you. I never even tried it on my SE so I can't really be of any help. Mine is unlocked, but originally for AT&T.

Ohh okay. In that case, it's good that you listen to offline podcasts because that could be annoying. I don't know either but thank you. I'm starting to think that what you said is true probably. Thankfully I do get 4G (when on a call) which is slower but way better than Edge always.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That is another annoying thing on Sprint, no text messages can come through (and data connection cannot be used) while you are on a call. I know that was a problem with some carriers for a while, but I thought they had all fixed that by now.

Edit: After some research it seems that might be limited to while the phone is not on LTE. Haven't been able to fully check into that yet though.

Edit 2: Nope, that isn't true. They do have a service that allows a voice and data connection simultaneously, Calling Plus, but that is only available on select Android phones at this point. This Sprint experiment may be short lived...

Last edited:

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
That is another annoying thing on Sprint, no text messages can come through (and data connection cannot be used) while you are on a call. I know that was a problem with some carriers for a while, but I thought they had all fixed that by now.

Edit: After some research it seems that might be limited to while the phone is not on LTE. Haven't been able to fully check into that yet though.

Edit 2: Nope, that isn't true. They do have a service that allows a voice and data connection simultaneously, Calling Plus, but that is only available on select Android phones at this point. This Sprint experiment may be short lived...

Verizon used to have that data cutoff when talking on the phone. A CDMA thing? Solved by VoLTE, I think.

I had no issues with Cricket last fall when in the Ft Worth/Dallas area. I liked it fine. But as I traveled West last winter the coverage just didn't cut it. Too bad.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Ugh that sounds like a major pain. It really does. That's shocking to me because I would think that they would bend to Apple like the rest of the carriers essentially do.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not giving up yet. Apparently my wife said her Verizon phone still did that, so it is nothing new to her, but I wasn't used to that with Cricket.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm not giving up yet. Apparently my wife said her Verizon phone still did that, so it is nothing new to her, but I wasn't used to that with Cricket.

Does your wife have an older iPhone than a 6? iPhone 6/6+ and up are required for voice + data on Verizon. And the phone needs to be on LTE as well, of course, with VoLTE activated in Settings (Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Enable LTE->Voice & Data).

Some Android phones got around the CDMA data/voice limitation by adding a second radio and antenna. That might be what's going on with Sprint since they don't have VoLTE yet. Here's a good article about the issue:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-enables-volte-simultaneous-voice-data-at-last/

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I should have clarified, her phone was using Verizon SIM with Straight Talk. She had a 6S, now a 7. I don't know if she had that option with Straight Talk. I guess my point was, I thought she would be upset by it, but it is normal to her, only abnormal to me.

Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
... Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.

It happens. ;)

Back on topic, since I didn't answer in the first place, my 64 GB iPhone SE is plenty. I don't need more storage on my phone. After a year my 64 GB iPhone 6s+ used 20 GB. Maybe after two years I might need as much as 40 GB if it accumulated at the same rate, and that would make the 32 GB iPhone SE problematic, so it's probably a good thing that I got the 64 GB. I might have this SE a while if Apple abandons it. (Well, unless I win that iPhone 7 RED and fall in love with it... yeah, dream on ;) .)

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I should have clarified, her phone was using Verizon SIM with Straight Talk. She had a 6S, now a 7. I don't know if she had that option with Straight Talk. I guess my point was, I thought she would be upset by it, but it is normal to her, only abnormal to me.

Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.

As the OP of this thread, I say that it's all good xd

Ohh okay, I see. Hmm interesting that she is used to it.

I think I will do the reset and restore test tonight to see if it magically works. If not, I tried. The idea of buying a new iPhone to test out my theory is something that I have thought about but I don't know if I will actually do it because lazy and I'm trying to be good. :)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
My minimum is 32GB, but I found a good deal on a used 64GB. The only way I wouldn't be able to deal with 32GB is if I kept a lot of pictures on the device, but I auto upload them to OneDrive, and then delete them from the phone. At least I know in the future that I can buy the less expensive devices.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
It happens. ;)

Back on topic, since I didn't answer in the first place, my 64 GB iPhone SE is plenty. I don't need more storage on my phone. After a year my 64 GB iPhone 6s+ used 20 GB. Maybe after two years I might need as much as 40 GB if it accumulated at the same rate, and that would make the 32 GB iPhone SE problematic, so it's probably a good thing that I got the 64 GB. I might have this SE a while if Apple abandons it. (Well, unless I win that iPhone 7 RED and fall in love with it... yeah, dream on ;) .)

Nice, sounds like you chose well.

My minimum is 32GB, but I found a good deal on a used 64GB. The only way I wouldn't be able to deal with 32GB is if I kept a lot of pictures on the device, but I auto upload them to OneDrive, and then delete them from the phone. At least I know in the future that I can buy the less expensive devices.

I do the same as you. 64GB would be wasted on me.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site

My main storage-eaters are audiobooks & podcasts & iTunes U. Nonfiction and commentary/lectures on nonfiction topics that I go back to again and again, thus I keep them on the phone. For example, dozens of "Great Courses" from Audible, such as university lecture series on the history of Rome, high quality audio settings, more than half a GB each... they add up!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Podcasts are generally my largest storage item as well, but I never have more than 2GB. I only have 12.21GB total used on my 32GB 7 plus now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods