Yeah they say it will be fixed with VoLTE, but there is no timeline for that, could be years.
    This is true. It will probably be years. I guess the true question is if it's worth dealing with for so long.
    Tinkernaught likes this.
    06-28-2017 09:28 AM
    I'm not giving up yet. Apparently my wife said her Verizon phone still did that, so it is nothing new to her, but I wasn't used to that with Cricket.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 09:55 AM
    I'm not giving up yet. Apparently my wife said her Verizon phone still did that, so it is nothing new to her, but I wasn't used to that with Cricket.
    Does your wife have an older iPhone than a 6? iPhone 6/6+ and up are required for voice + data on Verizon. And the phone needs to be on LTE as well, of course, with VoLTE activated in Settings (Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Enable LTE->Voice & Data).

Some Android phones got around the CDMA data/voice limitation by adding a second radio and antenna. That might be what's going on with Sprint since they don't have VoLTE yet. Here's a good article about the issue:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-data-at-last/
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 11:05 AM
    I should have clarified, her phone was using Verizon SIM with Straight Talk. She had a 6S, now a 7. I don't know if she had that option with Straight Talk. I guess my point was, I thought she would be upset by it, but it is normal to her, only abnormal to me.

Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.
    Tinkernaught and libra89 like this.
    06-28-2017 12:08 PM
    ... Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.
    It happens.

Back on topic, since I didn't answer in the first place, my 64 GB iPhone SE is plenty. I don't need more storage on my phone. After a year my 64 GB iPhone 6s+ used 20 GB. Maybe after two years I might need as much as 40 GB if it accumulated at the same rate, and that would make the 32 GB iPhone SE problematic, so it's probably a good thing that I got the 64 GB. I might have this SE a while if Apple abandons it. (Well, unless I win that iPhone 7 RED and fall in love with it... yeah, dream on .)
    Last edited by Tinkernaught; 06-28-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: storage, not RAM :p
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 01:17 PM
    I should have clarified, her phone was using Verizon SIM with Straight Talk. She had a 6S, now a 7. I don't know if she had that option with Straight Talk. I guess my point was, I thought she would be upset by it, but it is normal to her, only abnormal to me.

Wow I have hijacked this thread haha.
    As the OP of this thread, I say that it's all good xd

Ohh okay, I see. Hmm interesting that she is used to it.

I think I will do the reset and restore test tonight to see if it magically works. If not, I tried. The idea of buying a new iPhone to test out my theory is something that I have thought about but I don't know if I will actually do it because lazy and I'm trying to be good.
    06-28-2017 01:35 PM
    My minimum is 32GB, but I found a good deal on a used 64GB. The only way I wouldn't be able to deal with 32GB is if I kept a lot of pictures on the device, but I auto upload them to OneDrive, and then delete them from the phone. At least I know in the future that I can buy the less expensive devices.
    libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    06-28-2017 01:36 PM
    It happens.

Back on topic, since I didn't answer in the first place, my 64 GB iPhone SE is plenty. I don't need more storage on my phone. After a year my 64 GB iPhone 6s+ used 20 GB. Maybe after two years I might need as much as 40 GB if it accumulated at the same rate, and that would make the 32 GB iPhone SE problematic, so it's probably a good thing that I got the 64 GB. I might have this SE a while if Apple abandons it. (Well, unless I win that iPhone 7 RED and fall in love with it... yeah, dream on .)
    Nice, sounds like you chose well.

My minimum is 32GB, but I found a good deal on a used 64GB. The only way I wouldn't be able to deal with 32GB is if I kept a lot of pictures on the device, but I auto upload them to OneDrive, and then delete them from the phone. At least I know in the future that I can buy the less expensive devices.
    I do the same as you. 64GB would be wasted on me.
    06-28-2017 01:41 PM
    My main storage-eaters are audiobooks & podcasts & iTunes U. Nonfiction and commentary/lectures on nonfiction topics that I go back to again and again, thus I keep them on the phone. For example, dozens of "Great Courses" from Audible, such as university lecture series on the history of Rome, high quality audio settings, more than half a GB each... they add up!
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 01:54 PM
    Podcasts are generally my largest storage item as well, but I never have more than 2GB. I only have 12.21GB total used on my 32GB 7 plus now.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 02:06 PM
    Podcasts are generally my largest storage item as well, but I never have more than 2GB. I only have 12.21GB total used on my 32GB 7 plus now.
    Yup, it sounds like you're safe with 32 GB.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 02:10 PM
    Yup, it sounds like you're safe with 32 GB.
    I'm probably going to be similar to @camaroz1985 if I decide to pull the trigger.
    Tinkernaught likes this.
    06-28-2017 02:41 PM
    I'm probably going to be similar to @camaroz1985 if I decide to pull the trigger.
    I could do it, too. The audio stuff is in the Cloud, easily re-downloadable, and I only keep it on my iPhone out of convenience and inertia. 32 GB is definitely doable. It's an Apple minimum that (finally!) makes realistic sense.
    camaroz1985 and libra89 like this.
    06-28-2017 02:47 PM
    Agreed, 8 or 16GB is too small, but 32GB is doable. At least I know I can buy the smallest SE 2 when it comes out
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 02:53 PM
    I could do it, too. The audio stuff is in the Cloud, easily re-downloadable, and I only keep it on my iPhone out of convenience and inertia. 32 GB is definitely doable. It's an Apple minimum that (finally!) makes realistic sense.
    Agreed, 8 or 16GB is too small, but 32GB is doable. At least I know I can buy the smallest SE 2 when it comes out
    Both of you are right. What makes this tricky for me is that I still have AppleCare+ on this 1 year old SE so I'll like to have that applied/transferred. I'm really thinking about doing it, but I'm debating which channel. Apple or cricket. Cricket is cheaper for sure but that means that I'll have another phone to sell. I'm kind of tired of selling phones.

Edit: I think I will probably go through Apple.
    Last edited by libra89; 06-28-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    06-28-2017 03:17 PM
    So I got the other SE today and I have learned that cricket only does VoLTE on their own phones, and it doesn't work for unlocked SIM-free iPhones. The issue is not my phone, that's just how it is. I'm going to return it. Welp. Yes I know this sounds strange but I needed to know what the deal is. I'll keep an eye out for cricket to have 32gb iPhone SEs or I might bite on the 64gb SE they have right now.

Ironically enough, Apple wasn't letting me sign in on the phone so it makes it easier for me to do that.
    TgeekB and Tinkernaught like this.
    06-29-2017 06:43 PM
    32gb is definitely manageable. We need to remember that the usable space difference between 16gb and 32gb is more like 3 times as much due to the space the os takes up on the phone
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2017 01:39 AM
    So I got the other SE today and I have learned that cricket only does VoLTE on their own phones, and it doesn't work for unlocked SIM-free iPhones. The issue is not my phone, that's just how it is. I'm going to return it. Welp. Yes I know this sounds strange but I needed to know what the deal is. I'll keep an eye out for cricket to have 32gb iPhone SEs or I might bite on the 64gb SE they have right now.

Ironically enough, Apple wasn't letting me sign in on the phone so it makes it easier for me to do that.
    Well that is good to know. I kind of suspected that might be the case, seem to remember them having the same policy on Windows Phones. Maybe @Dconn1975 will sell you his Cricket has a great price for the 64GB. I hadn't seen that until now, only $30 more than the 32 was, and even available in all the colors. Can't really go wrong there.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2017 10:27 AM
    Well that is good to know. I kind of suspected that might be the case, seem to remember them having the same policy on Windows Phones. Maybe @Dconn1975 will sell you his Cricket has a great price for the 64GB. I hadn't seen that until now, only $30 more than the 32 was, and even available in all the colors. Can't really go wrong there.
    Hmm I might think about it, I went nuts buying a new screen protector and dBrand skin already. I tried to cancel the screen protector but Amazon couldn't do it. I even have a temporary screen protector that I can't return. I want a silver SE.

I totally forgot about the Windows Phone thing, that's a great point.
    Last edited by libra89; 06-30-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    06-30-2017 10:55 AM
    So you would buy the silver one from Cricket (the best color I think), and sell your current unlocked one? I would think you could probably break even on that deal, or very close to it, and then have Cricket unlock it after a couple months and have an unlocked phone again if you need to switch carriers or for better resale value when you decide to sell it.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2017 11:08 AM
    So you would buy the silver one from Cricket (the best color I think), and sell your current unlocked one? I would think you could probably break even on that deal, or very close to it, and then have Cricket unlock it after a couple months and have an unlocked phone again if you need to switch carriers or for better resale value when you decide to sell it.
    Yeah, that's what I plan to do. Hmm, I didn't even think of breaking even, you're right. It also has a little under a year of AppleCare+ left on it, so I'll have to contact Apple on how to transfer that to the buyer. Since you mentioned that, the idea of it is looking better and better. I just might do it if I can get it by Monday.

Knowing myself, I probably will do it haha. I looked at the SE that I am returning to Apple today and it looked so nice.
    06-30-2017 11:16 AM
    Are you looking for a new SE unlocked? I just sent you a PM. I sent you my cell number. Call me or text me.

Don
    I got your message, thanks. I'm already at Cricket though but thanks again.
    06-30-2017 12:28 PM
    Today on the adventures with Libra, she hits another stumbling block...again!

(Kidding, I don't like writing in third person)

I went to cricket during my lunch break and I got a silver, 64 gb iPhone. It was the last one left so I randomly decided to do it. Get this though, the 64gb also doesn't have VoLTE either or at least that seems to be the case. He skipped setup. When I have some time, I will reset this phone and try to setup fresh and see what happens. If it's the same result, I don't know what to do with myself. I like silver and I really want to own it but dang.

Hopefully it's not something that only ships with the 32 and 128gb SEs.
    Tinkernaught likes this.
    06-30-2017 01:34 PM
    ... Hopefully it's not something that only ships with the 32 and 128gb SEs.
    I don't see why that would be. VoLTE works on my 64GB SE (Verizon, however). Cricket is on the AT&T network, so it's GSM and never needed VoLTE for data and voice at the same time. VoLTE is just for better quality voice. Is that worth the trouble, assuming you can't get it to work?
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2017 01:53 PM
    Are the 32 and 128GB shipping with iOS 10? I wonder if that could be the difference?
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2017 01:55 PM
94 1234