iPhone SE upgrade

kazemosman

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is any plans for apple to upgrade the iPhone SE? I want a smaller device but don't know if I should off for a possible upgrade. Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope. As with all things Apple, nothing is sure until they announce it.
Keep checking iMore periodically for any news on that front.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have gone between 6s and SE 6 times over a few months at the sacrifice of Apple :).
I have now settled in 6s but still cannot throw away memories of my compact lover. I have always been valuing compact (palm sized) device. I still lament giving up the SE and it is not healthy. If I knew there will be no refresh of the SE in Apple's plan, then I am going to jump right out in snow now an secure a SE. I have 2 lines and can use SE as my primary carry and make 6s as spare or better still, replace it with iPad Mini or even 7 Plus.
Somebody please polish my crystal ball!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is any plans for apple to upgrade the iPhone SE? I want a smaller device but don't know if I should off for a possible upgrade. Thanks!

Whenever these types of questions come up i always look at the history of Apple and the devices 'range'. In this case the 'Budget Range'.
So the iPhone 5C launched on the 20th Sept, 2013 and the iPhone SE launched on the 31st March, 2016. So thats around 2.5 - 3 years apart. Based on this, i would estimate Apple releasing another 'budget' range laptop in 2018. (next year) possibly late 2018.

So i would say, get the SE now and in 2 years time you will have an upgrade waiting for you :D

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I plan on holding off for the next possible 4" replacement for as long as 3 years if need be. My SE runs perfect and should handle software updates for years to come

upandover

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
You have to think they'll release another smaller device at some point but it doesn't appear to be a priority for them. Don't expect one this year that's for sure.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You have to think they'll release another smaller device at some point but it doesn't appear to be a priority for them. Don't expect one this year that's for sure.

With the news of Apple planning to proceed with manufacturing SE in India, you could be right. I can't think of Apple making a different iteration of SE for other markets. Besides, they seem to be already talking about 3 sizes of higher end (i.e., larger size) phones, if I am not mistaken.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The SE is a great device and is for the customer who is looking for size over features. The SE is packed with goodies and I think Apple will leave it alone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The SE is a great device and is for the customer who is looking for size over features. The SE is packed with goodies and I think Apple will leave it alone.

Agree, until which time the latest OS is no longer supported. Then it may get an upgrade to support the latest OS. As for anything new in the way of hardware, there's no telling what Apple might add.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711