iPhone SE unexpected shutdown issue

jace829

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with the SE shutting down unexpectedly? I just purchased a second-hand SE that has been upgraded to the latest iOS and have had three unexpected shutdowns in a week. The first time it happened, it had been charged to 100% and still connected to the charger. The other two times, the battery had been somewhat depleted but still with charge left. I've contacted the seller who agreed to send me another battery, but I'm suspecting the issue is with software since a battery test app indicated nothing wrong with the health of the battery. I've checked online and other users with this problem have said it could be temperature as well.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with the SE shutting down unexpectedly? I just purchased a second-hand SE that has been upgraded to the latest iOS and have had three unexpected shutdowns in a week. The first time it happened, it had been charged to 100% and still connected to the charger. The other two times, the battery had been somewhat depleted but still with charge left. I've contacted the seller who agreed to send me another battery, but I'm suspecting the issue is with software since a battery test app indicated nothing wrong with the health of the battery. I've checked online and other users with this problem have said it could be temperature as well.

Common issue with temperatures especially sudden changes.
?according to an Apple Genius I know?

I'd do a restore and monitor before I start changing batteries.

mariahere

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
You've probably already fixed this, but I'm also having unexpected shutdowns (restarts, actually) on my 64gb 5s iOS 10.2, regardless of charge state, battery %, apps open, use time, or even temp. They happen almost daily and started when I "upgraded" to iOS 10.

The Genius Bar did a test and said my battery needed to be replaced. I declined, hoping the next iOS version will magically fix what the last one broke/brought to light.

Option 2 was simply to bump up to the SE (now 128gb). Are you still having issues with your SE? If not, what helped?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Take it to an Apple Store if there's one close by if not you should reinstall a fresh version of iOS and see if that fixes the issue

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

You might want to do a clean install and reset all settings. See if that helps.