Is there any news regarding an upcoming iPhone SE?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I used a 6s for about a year - and I remember only getting it because it was the smallest modern iPhone at the time I could find. I jumped on the SE when it came out and haven't looked back. I sincerely hope Apple sees the benefit and the fact that enough people prefer a 4" iPhone, which was the ideal phone size, really...to continue to update it. Steve's last phone was the 4s, which was the last 3.5" phone.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I used a 6s for about a year - and I remember only getting it because it was the smallest modern iPhone at the time I could find. I jumped on the SE when it came out and haven't looked back. I sincerely hope Apple sees the benefit and the fact that enough people prefer a 4" iPhone, which was the ideal phone size, really...to continue to update it. Steve's last phone was the 4s, which was the last 3.5" phone.

I saw the 6S in the Walmart flier today and I can get it for the same price as the SE, $0 if I sign a 2 year contract.

I would still get the SE because I like the squared edges and it gives your fingers a more secure place to rest.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't ever see an iPhone SE refresh. IMO maybe not this year, but maybe the following year if demand is there they restyle the 4" iPhone 5 based SE. This year has all but confirmed 3 new phones already with an iPhone, iPhone Plus, and 3rd device with no bezel and integrated TouchID with potential Facial Recognition.

Also, the SE was an easy decision. They had the left over 5 and 5s parts and A9 chips available. Just added Rose Gold. If new SE I'd love to see a Matte or Jet Black model

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Apple does not have any competition, there are no other 4" phones like the SE. So why should they upgrade the already fastest 4" phone on Earth?

aces99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Apple does not have any competition, there are no other 4" phones like the SE. So why should they upgrade the already fastest 4" phone on Earth?

So they can sell more phones to people that already have the iPhone SE and will not upgrade to a phone bigger than the 4" phone. According to stats from Apple it was about 30%. That's a huge market and a lot of phones they are loosing out on. Also they already had the fastest 4" iPhone 5S and had no 4" competition when they came out with the SE.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I would like Apple to produce another 4" iPhone version, may be not based on the wonderful SE (5s in steroids). IMO the SE is good as it is, I would not upgrade only for a better camera or faster processor.
Maybe a smaller version of the iPhone 8 would more attractive to get

davidnc

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I probably wouldn't upgrade even if a new version of the SE came out this year.I got this phone mainly for the small size .So far it's worked fine for me .It would take a major update before I updated to newer version of the SE. So maybe in a couple more years I will if an new SE was out by then

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I probably wouldn't upgrade even if a new version of the SE came out this year.I got this phone mainly for the small size .So far it's worked fine for me .It would take a major update before I updated to newer version of the SE. So maybe in a couple more years I will if an new SE was out by then

^^^^This EXACTLY...the 30% market for the 4" SE was created by a need as the 5 and 5s was definitely slowing down and people were ready to upgrade but chose to stay because they didn't want increase size change shape etc.

That same 30% market is relatively smaller. Maybe, just an opinion, would upgrade. An A10 processor, fast TouchID, 3D Touch, better screen. Some don't need that and others would have to give up battery life because all the extra internals.

So for me it's two fold. Not nearly as many people even ready to or want to upgrade and the upgrade itself I don't think would be a big enough jump to entice a large enough market. Give it another cycle or two.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't ever see an iPhone SE refresh. IMO maybe not this year, but maybe the following year if demand is there they restyle the 4" iPhone 5 based SE. This year has all but confirmed 3 new phones already with an iPhone, iPhone Plus, and 3rd device with no bezel and integrated TouchID with potential Facial Recognition.

Also, the SE was an easy decision. They had the left over 5 and 5s parts and A9 chips available. Just added Rose Gold. If new SE I'd love to see a Matte or Jet Black model

When did Apple confirm the 3 new phones?

aces99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
In the article he doesn't state that there will never be a SE update/upgrade. He just states that there won't be one this year or until late 2017. There is a big difference between there won't be a SE refresh this year and there will never be a SE refresh. I think there will be a SE refresh but might not be every year. Hopefully Apple refreshes the SE because I will definitely buy one. Or maybe if they get rid of the bezel they can have a 4.7" iPhone in the exact same size of the 4". I would definitely get one of them. Nobody really knows what Apple is gonna do. Far for its all just speculation and rumours. Time will tell.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
In the article he doesn't state that there will never be a SE update/upgrade. He just states that there won't be one this year or until late 2017. There is a big difference between there won't be a SE refresh this year and there will never be a SE refresh. I think there will be a SE refresh but might not be every year. Hopefully Apple refreshes the SE because I will definitely buy one. Or maybe if they get rid of the bezel they can have a 4.7" iPhone in the exact same size of the 4". I would definitely get one of them. Nobody really knows what Apple is gonna do. Far for its all just speculation and rumours. Time will tell.

All I was referring was to was the possibility of a 128GB SE model. Some people who love their SE are forced out because 64GB wasn't enough. That's all I was really intending to demonstrate. Other than storage the article doesn't discuss any other device changes so I see where you are coming from

aces99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
All I was referring was to was the possibility of a 128GB SE model. Some people who love their SE are forced out because 64GB wasn't enough. That's all I was really intending to demonstrate. Other than storage the article doesn't discuss any other device changes so I see where you are coming from

Ya I hear you, a 128GB SE would be nice. I would also like to see Apple get rid of the big bezel and have the 4.7" iPhone but the same size and form factor of the 4" SE. If they did get rid of the bezel the 4" SE could have a 4.7" screen without making the phone any bigger. So you would get the best of both worlds. But will Apple do that is another story. Hopefully they will because I would get one for sure.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
As PhoneDr referred to, the article is only saying that 128Gb version would be added. If I were to speculate, my guess is that the present form of the SE will stay as it is. The only refresh is storage upgrade, which does not change anything else. There appears to be 3 sizes/classes of iPhone coming this year, which includes 4.7 inch, bezel change or not. On top of it, Apple seems so eager to start assembling SE in India, which indicates to me that SE stays in its current package for foreseeable future. It would be nice to have a 4 inch size iPhone with bezel-less 4.7 inch with A10 chip etc. OTOH, I cannot see any reason that Apple suddenly drops SE. Addition of 128Gb storage size might be the indication that Apple continue to sell it in the 1st world market.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
As PhoneDr referred to, the article is only saying that 128Gb version would be added. If I were to speculate, my guess is that the present form of the SE will stay as it is. The only refresh is storage upgrade, which does not change anything else. There appears to be 3 sizes/classes of iPhone coming this year, which includes 4.7 inch, bezel change or not. On top of it, Apple seems so eager to start assembling SE in India, which indicates to me that SE stays in its current package for foreseeable future. It would be nice to have a 4 inch size iPhone with bezel-less 4.7 inch with A10 chip etc. OTOH, I cannot see any reason that Apple suddenly drops SE. Addition of 128Gb storage size might be the indication that Apple continue to sell it in the 1st world market.

So if you look at the line up of SE, 7, and 7Plus from a screen dimension it's very interesting. You can almost lay the devices over each other. Examples:

Lay the SE on top of the 7. If you went all screen edge to edge with the SE and no bezel the screen size would be the same as the 7.

Here's were it gets super interning and rumor mill starts. Lay a 7 on top of a 7Plus. The 7 fits exactly and lines up to the screen dimensions on the Plus. The if you removed the bezel from 4.7" iPhone and went all screen edge to edge you'd have the screen real estate of a Plus.

Think about that, if an iPhone 7 had no bezel, the screen would be as big as the Plus. So think about what that would mean for a Plus with no Bezel.

Then there is the "middle" rumored device. A 4.7" standard, a Plus, and 5" inch all glass front back with all the bells and whistles.

Appears that there will be something for everyone and everyone can count on innovation is some way which the 6s and 6s Plus IMO lacked against the 7 and 7 Plus. I really like my personal 7 but my work 6s works flawlessly.