Personal Hotspot rarely works

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
When I turn it on my iPhone, I can't see the connection on my laptop. Sometimes if I wait for 15 mins or so I can see it and other times no matter how long I wait it doesn't appear. WiFi and Bluetooth are turned on my iPhone SE but still no luck. I even tried restarting the iPhone but that doesn't help.

This only started happening on iOS 9.3.2

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Curious - what OS are you using on your laptop?

Windows 10 has major problems with wifi. I've seen this exact situation over and over.
Yet when I look on my iPad Pro 9.7, there it is, ready to go, and it hooks up instantly.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I keep the Personal Hotspot screen on when I want to connect a device. Works every time.

The same behavior for me. If I leave the hotspot screen I can't connect but if I have it open it works every time. Always thought it was designed to behave this way

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yet, after you're connected you can leave that screen, until your other device loses the connection after being idle for a while.

anon(9637269)

May 23, 2016
Visit site
I use it on Windows 10 and 7 as well as with my Moto X on Marshmallow. The hotspot "immediate" connectivity has been inconsistent in all those 3 devices.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not an alarming "issue" for me, rarely happens but as I said can be slightly annoying. I think the next iOS 9.x something will fix this.

as you said, I tried keeping the Hotspot settings page open and now I see the connection on my laptop. Seems like a little OS bug which was also present in iOS 10 Beta 1 BTW when I tried it

anon(9637269)

May 23, 2016
Visit site
as you said, I tried keeping the Hotspot settings page open and now I see the connection on my laptop. Seems like a little OS bug which was also present in iOS 10 Beta 1 BTW when I tried it
Yeah I think we need to stay on the Personal Hotspot setting window and wait for our devices to connect before we can transfer to another window. I was probably navigating between apps so fast because I can (iPhone SE hahaha)

Edit: also pls let us know how is iOS 10 beta on SE, thanks!

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Edit: also pls let us know how is iOS 10 beta on SE, thanks!

Very very very snappy. Battery discharge rate a bit better than iOS 9.3.2 which was worse than iOS 9.3.1

Also, the best thing in all the changes is the wake phone when you lift. Amazing feature, now no need to press the unlock button just to see the time when you are in your bed and sleepy if you ever wake up at night. Just more convenient.

So far everything else is the same and the extra features in the new messages app won't work unless the other person you are chatting with also has iOS 10 so for now, it's best to wait till the official but this is a glimpse of what you might expect. It's not like in the past when a new OS would cripple older devices and make them slower. Remember on the iPhone 4S how it got crippled when you upgraded from iOS 7 to iOS 8 and later? this is not the case here.

anon(9637269)

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Very very very snappy. Battery discharge rate a bit better than iOS 9.3.2 which was worse than iOS 9.3.1

Also, the best thing in all the changes is the wake phone when you lift. Amazing feature, now no need to press the unlock button just to see the time when you are in your bed and sleepy if you ever wake up at night. Just more convenient.

So far everything else is the same and the extra features in the new messages app won't work unless the other person you are chatting with also has iOS 10 so for now, it's best to wait till the official but this is a glimpse of what you might expect. It's not like in the past when a new OS would cripple older devices and make them slower. Remember on the iPhone 4S how it got crippled when you upgraded from iOS 7 to iOS 8 and later? this is not the case here.
I so relate in the last statement, probably the biggest update mistake I did ever in the digital dimension of my lifestyle.

The raise to wake is cool, but how does it affect using the touch id? Heard you have to press the button instead of just putting your finger on it. This concerns me as I am not really fond of pressing the home button, I even use assistive touch just to reduce the need of doing so.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I so relate in the last statement, probably the biggest update mistake I did ever in the digital dimension of my lifestyle.

The raise to wake is cool, but how does it affect using the touch id? Heard you have to press the button instead of just putting your finger on it. This concerns me as I am not really fond of pressing the home button, I even use assistive touch just to reduce the need of doing so.

it's useful if you quickly want to check your notifications or the time without having to unlock the phone.

Imagine, your hands are wet and you just want to check the time or notifications, now no need to dry your hands just to be able to unlock the phone.

Another example, say you wake up in the middle of the night and want to see what time it is, but you are really sleepy and can barely see anything let alone unlock your phone, now, just lift the phone to see your notifications and/or the time.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Curious is apple came up with a clutch name for the raise to wake feature (they invented tee hee) which I've had with blackberry OS and android for years.