Switching from BlackBerry 10 to ios, any advice?

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
WORSTcase, your cell provider may/should have a cellebrite machine which will transfer the contacts and photos (and any other data items, notes, docs, etc) between the devices. Generally they provide this service for free or for a minimal charge usually less than 20 dollars.
In January 2013 when I switched from a BlackBerry Bold 9780 to an iPhone 5 (Now I have a 6s) at the setup table in the Apple Store they transferred my contacts for free.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
My hearing is not good, and the thing is, if you're out of the room when the email goes Ding or whatever tone you set, you simply do not know you got an email or text or other type of message unless you literally pick up the phone, log in, and look. Big Yuk!

It's my secondary burner phone and the Priv gets the notifications right, especially if you use YAATA or other text app that allows custom notifications. It's been months, and yeah I still miss the notifications on the SE. Love it for a lot of other things especially taking a fast, high quality photo.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My hearing is not good, and the thing is, if you're out of the room when the email goes Ding or whatever tone you set, you simply do not know you got an email or text or other type of message unless you literally pick up the phone, log in, and look. Big Yuk!

It's my secondary burner phone and the Priv gets the notifications right, especially if you use YAATA or other text app that allows custom notifications. It's been months, and yeah I still miss the notifications on the SE. Love it for a lot of other things especially taking a fast, high quality photo.

I got an Apple Watch and rarely miss a notification. :) One of biggest selling points IMO.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

What does the Priv do to notify when you're in another room? What's different about it that you can hear it's notifications from another room?

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
What does the Priv do to notify when you're in another room? What's different about it that you can hear it's notifications from another room?

Really? You actually asked this?

The Priv sets a notification light which, when I return to the room where it's located, constantly signals me visually. I do NOT have to pick up the phone, unlock it, and go into the menus or messaging app to see a new email or sms.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I got an Apple Watch and rarely miss a notification. :) One of biggest selling points IMO.

I've often heard the joke that Apple's solution to the blinking LED was a 350+ wrist contrivance. I laugh like when I remind myself NASA spent hundreds of thousands developing an ink pen that would work in space, where Soviet Russia used... a pencil.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The Priv sets a notification light which, when I return to the room where it's located, constantly signals me visually. I do NOT have to pick up the phone, unlock it, and go into the menus or messaging app to see a new email or sms.

But you still can't see it from another room. When I return from another room, I can check the lock screen for notifications.

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Why should you have to walk across a room, pick up your phone, and in some way activate it in order to know that you received a message?

I never said I could see through walls. You're being purposefully argumentive and combative - even dishonest - on this. I said if you leave the room and miss the audible Ding, you don't know you have a message without returning to the phone.

But if I must, I'll rephrase for you. Just you and your Likers.

if one leaves a room and misses the audible notification, upon return to that room, one must physically lift the phone and minimally activate it, whether notification screen or full unlock assuming some level of privacy, just to see they received a message of some type.

And one must do this all for the cost of a 1 cent LED.

Last edited:

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I do agree with you on the blinking notification light it saved me a few times from missing important email,messages however with all the other great features of ISO I got over it but yes would be nice to have Apple .

anon(9940776)

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I like the faster camera on the iPhone, and the form factor of the SE. Beyond that, I've learned to deal with iOS as I've had prior phones like the 4s, but I do not find its walled garden approach satisfactory. When one must go through hoops to use an SD card, and can only read them and not write them, it's a handicap.

Speaking of handicap, my problem is I am handicapped, and I find the blackberry Priv and android in general are more helpful than iOS. I'd enjoy a chance to work for Apple to give them better insight into how to be better here.

What features in iOS were game changers for you, Wilbert?

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I like the faster camera on the iPhone, and the form factor of the SE. Beyond that, I've learned to deal with iOS as I've had prior phones like the 4s, but I do not find its walled garden approach satisfactory. When one must go through hoops to use an SD card, and can only read them and not write them, it's a handicap.

Speaking of handicap, my problem is I am handicapped, and I find the blackberry Priv and android in general are more helpful than iOS. I'd enjoy a chance to work for Apple to give them better insight into how to be better here.

What features in iOS were game changers for you, Wilbert?
The fact that BB10 is over was a big factor I never liked Android thou I know it is more customizable like a BB however with IOS I feel its more like BlackBerry used to be with more apps and they actually receive updates and of course the camera is way better for me I use pro camera on my 6s and it takes great pictures (night also) battery life is also better and imessage is great now that my friends and family have all switched over I always loved my BB's however the writing's on the wall with them and it's time to move on hope you enjoy your iphone maybe someday Apple will change up a few things like led notifications and possibly hub would be nice oh and I do like the fact that it is a North American company - Good Luck

anon7089239

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

So you get a notification light. And??????
Does the notification light beam the message into your brain? Nope.
You still have to pick up the phone to read and answer.
My Apple Watch works better for me. A discreet tap from the phone, a turn of the wrist, and I can read and reply.

OP you will be amazed of what a fully functioning OS and device feel like. I haven't regretted dropping BlackBerry, not one little bit.

Be sure you back up your phone to iTunes regularly. Even that's easy, just set it up to back up while on WiFi.

Oh and I don't waste iCloud space by backing up contacts, that's already vacked up on my Outlook.

melander

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Coming from Q10, and generally doing things by touch or gestures for a very long time, I bought the iPhone SE
because I don't like large devices of glass, and would rather not have a broken screen.

Where shall I start.
Changes:
- gaining a physical mute switch on the iPhone SE is great!

- Get a case. I used to carry my Q10 naked, and it has been dropped many times with just a side part of the screen in the gesture area cracked. I lived with this for months until I replaced the screen and keyboard myself. But the Q10 was a smaller (less chance of cracking) screen and the battery door was just like having part of the phone cased.

- volume up/down keys on the phone do not change track when playing music
Note that bluetooth headphones do change tracks when paired to the same iPhone with a long press.
For the iUsers, a long press on BB10 devices volume up/down rocker activated track up down, and the middle button activated mute.
You will have to click, and if locked, you will have to look at the screen to find the audio controls. Or, if not locked, swipe up, then swipe left for the music controls.

- No configurable speed dial key - coming from a Q10, each of the physical keys could be programmed to do something.
I am guessing people always bring up the contact or use SIRI. BTW, BB10 has an assistant that does voice to text, voice dialing, core app commands like "read last email", "read last text message". So using SIRI will be not that truly new

- no led alerts has already been discussed but not fully understood. Set your BB10 or old BBOS down and if there is no led light, you have not been contacted. No need to pick it up. If it's flashing when you wake up, something was missed.

- Mail.app borrowed from WebOS email gestures... fast swipe from right to left deletes an email but you cannot force this option to verify firstly. The verify before deleting option only affects clicking on trash for a message, not swipe and this has apparently been this way since iOS 7 when the option appeared. You can change "delete messages" to be only archive with no trashing. But then there is NO trashcan at all.

- importing ringtones into itunes seems to be voodoo. I tried dropping a 6 second .m4r file into "Tones" and itunes never accepts it... Until I deleted the original mp3 file that was imported. Just follow the directions found all over the net to the letter.

- I use two devices in a car, Hands Free and A2DP - BB10 would connect to both automatically.
iOS 9.3.2 would only connect to handsfree, then I would have to manually select the A2DP device.
iOS 10 public beta 2 connects to both automatically.

- Notifications - It's not the HUB and works differently, but I am fond of it now. If you acknowledge an event in the notification screen, it goes away, unlike Hub, where you would always see it if it was recent.

- Unlock with touch id is one gesture, press your scanned finger on the button.

- There will be so many apps to download, but group them. It can reduce clutter.

- Each app is given explicit permission for certain things like background data, camera and notifications. I never used social media apps and removed their default access when installed.

In summary, I like it. I recommend BB10 users moving over do the 10 Public Beta program and you will be most at home with a couple of extra swiping gestures in Notification and Control Center

Palm 650 - Motorola Q - Palm 755p - Palm (franken)Pixi - Blackberry 9930 - Blackberry Q10 - Iphone SE

Last edited:

mrluky60

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: switching from BlackBerry 10 to ios

I did the same,I've had the 6s the 6s plus and the se.i sold 6 and 6s plus.im an se fan now

petekohn123

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I just switched from a Q10. This list of things I miss is exactly right. Nothing beats the BB10 hub. The LED is greatly missed. But the benefits of this excellent phone more than make up for it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Pretty soon I'm gonna be giving up my trust BlackBerry Z10 for the new iPhone SE. Any Advice???

I would advise brushing your teeth everyday because you will be smiling a lot :D haha

On a serious note, i would take your time to get to know the OS. Its very different from Blackberry 10. Watch some online videos for 'getting started'. Maybe just playing around with the phone. Go into the settings and look around, maybe open the camera App and see whats available there. The iPhone SE has got a lot of stuff.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you enjoy your new iPhone! :D

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

I would advise brushing your teeth everyday because you will be smiling a lot :D haha

On a serious note, i would take your time to get to know the OS. Its very different from Blackberry 10. Watch some online videos for 'getting started'. Maybe just playing around with the phone. Go into the settings and look around, maybe open the camera App and see whats available there. The iPhone SE has got a lot of stuff.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you enjoy your new iPhone! :D

Great post, I agree totally.. have fun and keep brushing!!

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 refugee, here. I've been using my SE for a few weeks now. There are things I miss - Hub, Active Frames, physical keyboard - but I can't imagine going back, now.

Content is king and the iPhone has it. And I love that the SE is a sleeper - 6S crammed into a 5/5S form factor. It's jam packed with power and functionality. The battery life is phenomenal. And I still can't get over the convenience of Apple Pay. Makes me smile every time I use it.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Why should you have to walk across a room, pick up your phone, and in some way activate it in order to know that you received a message?

I never said I could see through walls. You're being purposefully argumentive and combative - even dishonest - on this. I said if you leave the room and miss the audible Ding, you don't know you have a message without returning to the phone.

But if I must, I'll rephrase for you. Just you and your Likers.

if one leaves a room and misses the audible notification, upon return to that room, one must physically lift the phone and minimally activate it, whether notification screen or full unlock assuming some level of privacy, just to see they received a message of some type.

And one must do this all for the cost of a 1 cent LED.

iPhone doesn't have a front facing notification light, but it does have the ability to flash the rear facing camera LED as a notification light, and used with the "raise to wake" feature, it's pretty great. Leave the phone face down and if the LED is blinking a notification you just pick it up and flip it over and the phone is woken automatically to show your notifications on the lock screen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711