How many of you use touch ID for phone unlocking?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Do you have to actually press the Home button until it clicks and perhaps hold it down for a second or two or can you just touch the button and unlock the phone?

Yes, you first must press the Home button to wake the phone, then TID takes over and unlocks the phone. For me, this is a one-step process. 99.9% of the time it's as though merely pressing the Home button wakes the phone, as TID is so transparent.

If there was a stage or state of operation where you phone was awake but locked (like desktop computers sometimes are) then just touching the TID sensor without clicking the Home button would unlock the phone. Pressing the Wake/Power button then touching (not clicking) the Home button would demonstrate that. But that's not a thing on the phone.

So your phone is actually working as it should.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Many people complain that TID unlocked the phone so fast that they couldn't just read notifications on the Lock screen. They then had to go into Notifications and pull them down. The workaround was to use the Wake button to view the Lock screen.

So in iOS 10 Apple includes the default option to require an additional press of the Home button after the phone is awake, to actually unlock the phone.

iOS 9 and earlier: HomeWake, TIDUnlockOpen
iOS 10: HomeWake, TIDUnlockOpen or HomeWake TIDUnlock HomeOpen

With the latter, after HomeWake there's a padlock icon in the menu bar. When TID kicks in the word Unlocked appears to the right of the padlock. You can continue reading your notifications as they won't disappear unless/until you click the Home button to open the unlocked phone. This feature can be turned off in Settings > Accessibility > Home Button (scroll down to see that).

grasma39

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Due to chemicals used in my career, my fingerprints don't exist, not even enough to use on the lock screen. Now i need to find out how to disable the lock screen sign fingerprint option.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Due to chemicals used in my career, my fingerprints don't exist, not even enough to use on the lock screen. Now i need to find out how to disable the lock screen sign fingerprint option.

One can still go into Touch ID and Passcode settings and turn off Touch ID. You will still be prompted to create a passcode, though there is an option to turn off Passcode. Unfortunately, turning off Passcode will leave your phone wide open to anyone.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It is quite fast, faster than the iPhone 5s, but slower than the one on the 6s. It works with no issues for me and unlocks my phone 99% of the times

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR