Galaxy S7 vs iPhone SE

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 and my wife has an iPhone SE.

I have owned iPhone before and after a while of being happy with the phone initially, things like having to use iTunes to copy my music really get to me and I miss the simplicity of Android phones being able to simply plug in the phone to my USB port and copy/paste whatever music I want or update the new ones if I had some new songs.

Today I held her iPhone SE and man is that size so perfect. It reminded me again what a phone size was like in the old days, a telephone, not a freakin' mini tablet. I love the size so much.

So then I quickly launched her camera and took some photos and then took the same photos with my S7, the S7 photos were much richer / saturated in color I am in a dilemma if I should keep my s7 or get an iPhone SE

I am not a fan boy of any OS or brand. part of me really wants to have a small phone but what's scaring me from pulling the bullet is the camera and Apple iOS (I hate iTunes)

Also, I think that the iPhone SE's battery is better and doesn't have as much of a drain when sitting idle as compared to Samsung Phones

Please help me decide

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's really tough. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz so I'm biased. That being said, if you like the smaller size then I think the SE is a fantastic device. Samsung takes oversaturated photos, in my opinion, and iPhones do a much better job of matching true colors. People tend to confuse color saturation for quality.
They're both great devices. You can't go wrong either way.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
That's really tough. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz so I'm biased. That being said, if you like the smaller size then I think the SE is a fantastic device. Samsung takes oversaturated photos, in my opinion, and iPhones do a much better job of matching true colors. People tend to confuse color saturation for quality.
They're both great devices. You can't go wrong either way.

Thanks , these are the kinds of unbiased comments I like. More please, I don't want to get the iPhone SE only to regret it because of the camera. I can try to live with iTunes but the camera is important to me to take pics of my cats.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks , these are the kinds of unbiased comments I like. More please, I don't want to get the iPhone SE only to regret it because of the camera. I can try to live with iTunes but the camera is important to me to take pics of my cats.

No problem. I can't blame you for not liking iTunes. It's a mess. Luckily I have Apple Music so I spend very little time fiddling around with iTunes. Another add for camera: if you take a lot of low light photos you'll be happier with the camera on the S7. iPhone has some catching up to do in the low light department.

Another option would be to wait and see what happens. The rumor mill points to upgraded cameras in the iPhone 7, most likely due in September.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I can't blame you for not liking iTunes. It's a mess. Luckily I have Apple Music so I spend very little time fiddling around with iTunes. Another add for camera: if you take a lot of low light photos you'll be happier with the camera on the S7. iPhone has some catching up to do in the low light department.

Another option would be to wait and see what happens. The rumor mill points to upgraded cameras in the iPhone 7, most likely due in September.

yeah but the iPhone 7 will be the same size as the iPhone 6/6S which is the same size as the Galaxy S7, so the whole point of switching to get the smaller phone becomes a moot point right?

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site

BTW, last time I had the iPhone 6S, I copied all my music to it via iTunes, that went fine. The problem is, I then got 4 new songs which I wanted to sync them to the phone, everytime I clicked sync, the process would finish almost instantly I never knew how to copy only those 4 new songs so what I ended up doing is deleting all the songs and syncing them again, not very smart I know, do you know how to copy only the new changes?

I want like a perfect sync, so if I delete a song off my computer and hit sync, I want that song which I deleted to also get deleted from the iPhone

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
yeah but the iPhone 7 will be the same size as the iPhone 6/6S which is the same size as the Galaxy S7, so the whole point of switching to get the smaller phone becomes a moot point right?

True. You need to decide what's more important to you, size or camera. There are trade offs on both sides of the equation. Again, it's a tough choice.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
BTW, last time I had the iPhone 6S, I copied all my music to it via iTunes, that went fine. The problem is, I then got 4 new songs which I wanted to sync them to the phone, everytime I clicked sync, the process would finish almost instantly I never knew how to copy only those 4 new songs so what I ended up doing is deleting all the songs and syncing them again, not very smart I know, do you know how to copy only the new changes?

I want like a perfect sync, so if I delete a song off my computer and hit sync, I want that song which I deleted to also get deleted from the iPhone

I am not much of a pro with iTunes but I haven't had syncing issues. How you're describing you'd like iTunes to work is actually how it's supposed to work so the only thing I can think of is there was some sort of software glitch.

Perhaps someone else around here has some better advice. They're all sleeping right now.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
The S7 does have a better camera, but I prefer the apple ecosystem. Consider how fast you get updates from Samsung. With Apple you get the latest and great OS when they roll it out. When Google releases an update (or upgrade), you need to wait (and some degree hope your phone makes the cut).

I don't have any problems with the Galaxy phone, its a great phone, but I think a lot of the intangibles that Apple offers, tips the scales in its favor - just my $.02

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

Great post; I am a fan of Apple's platform, but it ends where I have just described, that is with the word "me". Referring to your dilemma I will use my example as a reference.

Just weeks ago, all of my photos were shot with my daily driver, iPhone 6 Plus; supposedly, it is a more functional device (size, screen size, etc., and processor difference aside). I used to rely on for the past 18 months of my life and I can tell you that it's not the camera (as I used to think) that matters in the long run; it's the simple things - can you reply quickly to a iMessage/text with your single palm? Does it feel okay in your hands? Do you like the design of the device? How is the weight? You are going to stick with it for a while, after all.

While the S7 makes, arguably, overall better photos, I would not even look at anything that size thee days. I really love the SE, I feel at home this time. If you are serious about shooting good photos, there are tons of photo apps available for iOS, some of them pretty serious; I will agree that in most (not all, though) conditions S7 takes over-saturated shots and it shows.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers & good luck!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
The posters above me said great points.
The only thing I would add is that it sounds like you would have to weigh which one would be the most important for you.
Is there a way you can try an iPhone SE and have a chance to return it?

I currently have an iPhone SE and I think the package is great! Small size, nice specs. As said, low light photos might not be as good. I think for either phone, you have to decide if the trade-off would be worth it. That is something that I am trying to decide myself too.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I came from a Note 5 to a SE and welcome the size and specs. Battery life is way better on my SE than my Note 5. I also have a lot invested in the Apple ecosystem, so iPhone just makes sense for me.

As far as the camera goes, my wife has a iPhone 6s Plus and handles 99% of the pics and videos. Air drop and iMessage are great for sending pics and videos as well. Not so much when I had the Android.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the mall to get the iPhone SE 64GB but they didn't have the Space Grey color in any shop as it was out of stock so I canceled the whole idea as I wouldn't use any other color. I'll stick to my Galaxy S7. Maybe that was a sign for me to not do this.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
So I went to the mall to get the iPhone SE 64GB but they didn't have the Space Grey color in any shop as it was out of stock so I canceled the whole idea as I wouldn't use any other color. I'll stick to my Galaxy S7. Maybe that was a sign for me to not do this.

Only you know man.

I went back and forth a lot as well. In the end, the iPhone SE is for me. Perfect size and a straight powerhouse.

If your S7 suits you well, rock that beast!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think so. You're gonna be looking at that phone quite a bit.

Additionally, I feel like it would suck to pay $$ for a phone you don't like the color of. Again, what is the point of settling with a phone that you don't really like the color of, especially if you have to pay a good amount of money for this?

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Additionally, I feel like it would suck to pay $$ for a phone you don't like the color of. Again, what is the point of settling with a phone that you don't really like the color of, especially if you have to pay a good amount of money for this?

I don't know. I just put a case on it. Maybe it's just me but colour isn't a deal breaker to me. I'm more concerned with the actual interface.