Is 16GB enough for me?

WaveTouch

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I wanted to try an iPhone and my budget can only touch the new SE at 16GB. I used to have cheap Android phones with 8GB internal memory and 16GB SD card (but I've only used 4GB so far) and I have only few apps.

I use some social networking apps (Facebook, Instagram), IM (LINE, Facebook Messenger, etc), fitness apps and some utility apps. I don't watch movies on my phone and but I have some offline songs (maybe 200-300), and I often take photos. I'm just worried that now my SD card would be gone, I'll have anxiety over the free space of my phone. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on what you posted, I think you can get by with the 16GB model iPhone SE, especially if you have cloud services. As for music, you can stream it via Music or another streaming source instead of having your music stored on the device itself. You can also optimize the storage of your photos on the device and keep the originals stored via iCloud. Just be mindful of your storage habits and you'll be fine

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
300 songs offline will take about 3 gb of storage space. I would stream most songs. But it wouldn't hurt to create a modest playlist offline to listen to when not on WiFi. I use cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox for photos. That way I can delete them from the camera roll. That saves a lot of space.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
16gb should work for you. I also suggest streaming music, Apple Music, Pandora or another source instead of storing it on your device. I use Dropbox to store my photos so I can keep the camera roll clean.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Google Photos is also a good option! It is free and has unlimited space, and is easily accessed from anywhere.

WaveTouch

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the response, guys! By the way, how much space does an average app take in iOS? I'm worried that I might install additional apps I find interesting. And the fact that my friends' 16GB iPhone usually run out of space is somewhat alarming to me.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the response, guys! By the way, how much space does an average app take in iOS? I'm worried that I might install additional apps I find interesting. And the fact that my friends' 16GB iPhone usually run out of space is somewhat alarming to me.

It depends on the app.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
16gb is walking a fine line. You will spend time deciding what apps are important and which ones you can kick off the boat. You will also have to use iCloud, google drive or Dropbox to store photos. I would also recommend you look at streaming music instead of storing files on the phone. 64gb really should be the entry level now. Especially for companies like Apple that do not offer Expandable memory.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Before I upgraded in September, my old iPhone 5 had 16 gb. I had 115 downloaded apps. Many over 100 mb. I kept about 200 photos on the camera roll and had about 100 songs offline. I had about 2? gb available.

Seki-Kun

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
As far as apps go, they vary a good bit. I don't have many on my phone, but some are large. But as long as you do mostly cloud based stuff you should be ok.I opted to download my music locally, so it takes up a good bit of space.
iMoreAppImg_20160426_130613.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73