iPhone SE chipgate?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They've done this before with other internal hardware, and they'll do it again if it means keeping up with supply and demand. IE; it's not unheard of to have two different manufacturing companies work on a device in order to keep up with demand. The only difference is that this time someone noticed, and some decided to make an unnecessary stink over it.

Like I said, there were reports that prove the differences between the two chips. I imagine Apple will stay away from going down the same road on a part with tested and proven differences. It doesn't matter how small those differences are to you. They were there. And that point can't be disputed.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Does somebody know the answer to the question 100% though? Also if you don't like the thread get out of it, don't complain just because someone's asking a question you don't like. It's just as bad as youtube up in here.

I highly doubt anyone will know the answer 100%. You'll have to wait until the phone releases and testing and breakdowns begin.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a 6s Plus with a TSMC chip and a 6s Plus with a Samsung chip. With pretty consistent usage I haven't really noticed a difference.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
This whole thing is ludicrous. People choose the dumbest crap to be bothered by anymore. If you have a phone that is getting overly hot for any reason, it is likely just the phone itself that has a problem, not the whole batch of chips that it is based on. Mistakes happen in manufacturing. There will always be a defect rate of some sort. You could have one phone with the Samsung made chip that gets wicked hot, then another with the same chip that never gets over lukewarm. The same thing for TSMC.

I have a TSMC version, and mine will get good and warm at times if I am on a long call or if I get sucked into playing 3D games like I do at times. It doesnt worry me in the slightest. If it gets warm, I stop the games and let it breathe for a while. All you have to do.

I feel bad for the guys at Apple and the carriers that have to deal with people exchanging their phones over this, especially for the carriers since they lose money doing this seeing as they cant sell a phone as new after its been opened. It isnt their fault in any way that this was even an issue.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know that this is the most interesting thread but it does give me pause for thought, about temperatures. Has anyone with an iPhone that they perceive to be running too hot actually checked the temperature over a cycle or even a part cycle ? with and without a cover on ? You can assume the inside temp to be higher. How does this relate to the operating range of the phone batteries ? If consistently high then you can be fairly certain that the battery life overall will be shorter than that of a battery that runs low to mid range. I should not think discharge rate rate would be much affected until the battery starts to degenerate.
The chip itself should not affect how the rest of the hardware works unless it makes it work in a different way per chip type. So if you care enough to do a lot of readings on two known chip typed iPhones of the same model and age ( and maybe carrier) and do them in the same place with the same signal..... at the same time, carry on, let us know, by the time you've got it all done a new iPhone will be on the market !

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6, the SE is going to be faster then my 6. To that point, I really don't care who made the chip.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No one cares about those.

Except those doing the intense gaming? And the battery life differences have been documented as well. I'm not sure what you're debating here. There are differences between the two chips. There is no disputing that. You just agreed with it. It's proven. Just because YOU don't care about where those differences lie doesn't mean they aren't there.

You don't care and that's great. Honestly, neither do I. As I stated, I have the Samsung chip and I have no desire to go through the gamble of hoping I get a different one by complaining. But I also won't marginalize those who may have been in the group of those having "problems". Or experiencing performance less than what the other chips may have provided.

All I'm saying is that it isn't fair to discredit anyone who may have been affected. And that ideally Apple won't mix manufacturers on parts that can lead to differences in performance in the future.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the heating issue is different. If it's behind the upper part of the phone heating up, it's probably the CPU and consequently, it draws so much power from battery, which also gradually heats up.
Although I no way pretend to be an expert, these are probably caused by busy indexing or some application hanging in the background etc. If not, and the phone still heats up, then it might be a defective chip or phone.
The so called chip gate, as I understood it, was started by somebody claiming the battery life being different between the two chip brands. It related to how much power the given chip draws, and it was indeed found that the Samsung chip draws a tiny bit more power than the TSMC's to do the same exact task. But I am sure the test was conducted under the controlled environment, and average consumers like us will never notice a few percent difference in battery drain. For anyone to notice it, you must be pushing the device to the edge of the performance constantly.
There was a rumour that Apple was left with good quantity of A9 chips that they intended to use for 6s/+. That might be a triggering motivation to use it in the SE (LOL), but I would look for other causes if it's a heating issue.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Except those doing the intense gaming? And the battery life differences have been documented as well. I'm not sure what you're debating here. There are differences between the two chips. There is no disputing that. You just agreed with it. It's proven. Just because YOU don't care about where those differences lie doesn't mean they aren't there.

That would be fine if there was a clear consensus after testing. However even technically competent testers can't agree on the results - or at least they understand that although results are different one published write-up (from a site I have known and respected for years) suggests differences in most parameters are not statistically signficant (close to the uncertainty and inherent measurement variation of the test process). Even the popular user-test by "running the battery to discharge" is meaningless, with production batteries typically having at least +/-5% capacity tolerance in acceptance testing, and additional variability in detection of max charge state by the phone's circuit. This debate is more like a bunch of teenage schoolkids trying to explain why a Mercedes F1 car is faster than a Ferrari when they don't even understand how the turbocharger works.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You don't care and that's great. Honestly, neither do I. As I stated, I have the Samsung chip and I have no desire to go through the gamble of hoping I get a different one by complaining. But I also won't marginalize those who may have been in the group of those having "problems". Or experiencing performance less than what the other chips may have provided.

All I'm saying is that it isn't fair to discredit anyone who may have been affected. And that ideally Apple won't mix manufacturers on parts that can lead to differences in performance in the future.

The Samsung chip is better in ways as well. It's not all the other one. But any differences are not enough to get excited about. Either way. I got better battery life with my Samsung than did most showing their T whatchumacallit. LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
f91e5830ef9b331487e60bda082aa607.jpg

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung chip is better in ways as well. It's not all the other one. But any differences are not enough to get excited about. Either way. I got better battery life with my Samsung than did most showing their T whatchumacallit. LOL

Like I've said...personally I don't care about the two chips. My experience has been just fine. I'm not arguing that one is ruining phones while the other is a golden chip. I'm simply stating that there are documented differences between the two.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'll never understand why you go through the effort of typing initial responses. When one responds to YOU it's not beating a dead horse. It's responding...you know...to you...:sarcastic:

:beer:

Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to. It's just not gonna happen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to. It's just not gonna happen.

You literally responded to me. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. Lol. Simply scroll past my comment if you disagree. Responding is essentially welcoming a "debate". If that's not what you're interested in then keep it moving. :yes:

Reading my comments shows I wasn't trying to convince. I was stating my opinion. There are differences...hopefully Apple won't mix manufacturers with things like this in the future. My point was rather direct.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You literally responded to me.

If you didn't want that, then perhaps public forums aren't for you.

I wasn't trying to convince you of anything.

And you're free to keep telling yourself that.

Simply scroll past my comment if you disagree. Responding is essentially welcoming a "debate".

That's what public forums are for; sharing information, asking questions, discussions, debates, and various other types of things. Again, if this is not for you then public forums isn't where you should be.

My point was rather direct.

And so was the graphic I posted.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro