Any model of any phone with any chip can overheat for reasons completely unrelated to the chip. One issue with the same phone is probably an issue with that phone. The same issue with two more of the same phone, usually warranty replacements, is user error.
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    04-06-2016 06:00 PM
    My SE has a N69uAP chip, which is made by TSMC. I do not know if Apple has completely changed over to TSMC chip for the SE. My friend's 6s that has just arrived yesterday has a Samsung chip. But this 6s may have come from old inventory.
    These things do not tell much, but I thought I heard that Apple has switched the entire A9 chip supply source to TSMC. Just curious. I have way too much slack time in hands, LOL.
    04-06-2016 06:40 PM
    My SE has a N69uAP chip, which is made by TSMC. I do not know if Apple has completely changed over to TSMC chip for the SE.
    I don't believe they have. My SE had a N69AP chip, which I'm guessing is made by Samsung.
    zocster likes this.
    04-06-2016 07:09 PM
    I don't believe they have. My SE had a N69AP chip, which I'm guessing is made by Samsung.
    Ah, then, business as usual at Apple.
    04-06-2016 07:41 PM
    My SE has the N69uAP (aka TSMC) chip. I'm quite happy about that. Whether it truly makes a difference or not, doesn't really matter. But the important factor to me is, the less Samsung content the better.
    Robster33 likes this.
    04-07-2016 11:23 AM
    My SE is N69AP...Samsung chip....they're mad at me for getting rid of my Note 5
    04-07-2016 05:55 PM
    My SE is N69AP...Samsung chip....they're mad at me for getting rid of my Note 5
    As many other people said, you can never measure the battery life by different chip brands in real life. There are so many variants in running a phone, and I can see the chip difference is the last thing you would feel, unless one is pushing the device to the limit such as long playing of high end game etc. I was only interested in this time around because of possible rift brewing again between Apple and Samsung, and Apple simply dropped the Samsung chip.

But you might feel a bit of sluggishness or seemingly shorter than expected battery life (still far better than 5s, and some says better than the 6s) in the first couple to few days. This is because the newly activated phone might be doing all sorts of things in the background. Usually, most likely culprit is the spotlight search indexing behind the scene, particularly if you set up your phone as a new device.. This might take quite a long time to complete it. Go to General>Spotlight Search and you may see everything may be toggled on by default. If so, just toggle on things you want the Spotlight to search. Each app has its own search function, and global search like spotlight is not needed. This will significantly shorten the indexing/reindexing every time you change something, which theoretically use up battery juice.
    04-07-2016 07:07 PM
    Just realized that the N69AP chip is TSMC or whatever. Either way it's really not going to bother me, but it will simply be anecdotal evidence when pointing out battery life after a week or so. Thanks for the info/tips.
    04-07-2016 09:07 PM
    how so? my iPhone 6S never overheated and easily gave me a 2 days battery life whereas my friend who had the Samsung CPU in his kept getting overheating issues and bad battery life due to that even after his carrier swapped his phone, he got yet another Samsung CPU based iPhone 6S and continued to have the overheating issue.
    I proudly have the Samsung chip with no issues at all. The whole chip-gate thing was click bate.
    04-08-2016 09:13 PM
    I proudly have the Samsung chip with no issues at all. The whole chip-gate thing was click bate.
    Tbh, I don't know which chip is better in performance or battery life. My perspective is to not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the phone
    04-09-2016 07:22 AM
    Eek I think that's the Samsung actually
    04-09-2016 08:36 PM
    Samsung manufactures the S8000 in the N69uAP model, the part number listed on the SoC is APL0898.
    TSMC manufactures the S8003 in the N69AP model, the part number listed on the SoC is APL1022.
    Source:
    Apple?s A9 SoC Is Dual Sourced From Samsung & TSMC

I got my SE four days ago and was not really impressed with the battery life with the Samsung SoC under heavy usage.
    Lucky me, I was able to get another SE from eBay which was only one day old but had the TSMC SoC.

So I went to do some GeekBench3 battery tests. Surprise, surprise (or maybe not so).. TSMC doesn't strain the battery like Samsung does. We can pretty much say that the "u" in N69uAP stands for "under performing". Testing was done three times on both phones. Both phones got their system restored completely through iTunes and loaded with the same iCloud backup prior of testing. Both phones had no SIM card and were not connected to WiFi during the tests. No apps other than GeekBench3 itself were running during the tests. Screen dimming option of GeekBench3 was used.

iPhone SE chipgate?-img_1008.png

iPhone SE chipgate?-img_1009.png
    LCW likes this.
    12-06-2016 06:34 AM
    So the N69uAP is Samsung?? F***... that means mine is Samsung... explains the ****ty battery life....
    metalchick719 likes this.
    12-07-2016 09:11 PM
    Just had a warranty replacement for my 64gb SE for various issues. My old one was Samsung and the new one is the TSMC chip. New one is running noticeably cooler and battery seems better so far
    metalchick719 and LCW like this.
    02-13-2017 05:04 PM
    Just had a warranty replacement for my 64gb SE for various issues. My old one was Samsung and the new one is the TSMC chip. New one is running noticeably cooler and battery seems better so far
    How would I know which chip I have. Not that it matters. Just curious. I have the 128GB SE phone

Thanks
    04-30-2017 08:46 PM
    How would I know which chip I have. Not that it matters. Just curious. I have the 128GB SE phone

Thanks
    Hi,

I followed a similar guide to this

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/10...-a9-iphone-6s/
    05-01-2017 05:02 AM

Thanks
    Mind me asking, what made you choose the SE over the 7?
    libra89 likes this.
    05-01-2017 05:04 AM

Thanks
    It doesn't matter which chip you have. They're both good. And regardless of which one you have, there's nothing you can do about it.
    tr1ad likes this.
    05-01-2017 07:15 AM
    Mind me asking, what made you choose the SE over the 7?
    I prefer the shape and size of the SE over the 7. That was it. I have nothing negative to say about the 7. I like the squared edges over the rounded ones to. I dropped the SE into the OtterBox Commuter case that I had my 5 phone in. And now I'm good to go.

Thanks
    libra89 and Paul Ellis1 like this.
    05-01-2017 08:57 AM

Thanks
    Download "Battery Memory System Status Monitor" by Cactos from the App Store. When you run it, tap the "System" tab at the top of the screen. Model N69uAP has the Samsung chip, and model N69AP has the TSMC.
    05-01-2017 11:40 AM
    It doesn't matter which chip you have. They're both good. And regardless of which one you have, there's nothing you can do about it.
    But it's ok to be curious.
    05-01-2017 11:41 AM
    Download "Battery Memory System Status Monitor" by Cactos from the App Store. When you run it, tap the "System" tab at the top of the screen. Model N69uAP has the Samsung chip, and model N69AP has the TSMC.
    Thanks. I was just curious. This 128GB, SE is running great. It has already lapped my older 4s & 5 a few times.
    Attached Thumbnails iPhone SE chipgate?-img_2591.png  
    05-01-2017 01:01 PM
    After reading this, I got curious and installed the Lirium Info Lite app on my SE (I had it on my 6s when I first read about the whole "chipgate" thing with that phone). Turns out I have the TSMC chip in my SE, just like on my 6s.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-01-2017 01:03 PM
    After reading this, I got curious and installed the Lirium Info Lite app on my SE (I had it on my 6s when I first read about the whole "chipgate" thing with that phone). Turns out I have the TSMC chip in my SE, just like on my 6s.

Cool. This new 128GB SE is running great. Long battery life and it never gets warm. On occasion, my older 5 would warm up a bit.

SVP
    libra89 likes this.
    05-01-2017 01:10 PM
    I totally forgot about the chipgate thingy.
    05-01-2017 04:00 PM
77 1234