Like I said, there were reports that prove the differences between the two chips. I

And has been proven time and time again. Those differences only show during benchmarks or intense gaming. No one cares about those.
    lesterquilaman likes this.
    03-31-2016 12:56 AM
    My SG SE 16gb has a N69uAP chip, whatever that is
    Geekbench score 2553 and 4455.
    03-31-2016 07:31 AM
    I don't know that this is the most interesting thread but it does give me pause for thought, about temperatures. Has anyone with an iPhone that they perceive to be running too hot actually checked the temperature over a cycle or even a part cycle ? with and without a cover on ? You can assume the inside temp to be higher. How does this relate to the operating range of the phone batteries ? If consistently high then you can be fairly certain that the battery life overall will be shorter than that of a battery that runs low to mid range. I should not think discharge rate rate would be much affected until the battery starts to degenerate.
    The chip itself should not affect how the rest of the hardware works unless it makes it work in a different way per chip type. So if you care enough to do a lot of readings on two known chip typed iPhones of the same model and age ( and maybe carrier) and do them in the same place with the same signal..... at the same time, carry on, let us know, by the time you've got it all done a new iPhone will be on the market !
    03-31-2016 09:12 AM
    I have an iPhone 6, the SE is going to be faster then my 6. To that point, I really don't care who made the chip.
    03-31-2016 09:15 AM
    No one cares about those.
    Except those doing the intense gaming? And the battery life differences have been documented as well. I'm not sure what you're debating here. There are differences between the two chips. There is no disputing that. You just agreed with it. It's proven. Just because YOU don't care about where those differences lie doesn't mean they aren't there.

You don't care and that's great. Honestly, neither do I. As I stated, I have the Samsung chip and I have no desire to go through the gamble of hoping I get a different one by complaining. But I also won't marginalize those who may have been in the group of those having "problems". Or experiencing performance less than what the other chips may have provided.

All I'm saying is that it isn't fair to discredit anyone who may have been affected. And that ideally Apple won't mix manufacturers on parts that can lead to differences in performance in the future.
    03-31-2016 09:21 AM
    I think the heating issue is different. If it's behind the upper part of the phone heating up, it's probably the CPU and consequently, it draws so much power from battery, which also gradually heats up.
    Although I no way pretend to be an expert, these are probably caused by busy indexing or some application hanging in the background etc. If not, and the phone still heats up, then it might be a defective chip or phone.
    The so called chip gate, as I understood it, was started by somebody claiming the battery life being different between the two chip brands. It related to how much power the given chip draws, and it was indeed found that the Samsung chip draws a tiny bit more power than the TSMC's to do the same exact task. But I am sure the test was conducted under the controlled environment, and average consumers like us will never notice a few percent difference in battery drain. For anyone to notice it, you must be pushing the device to the edge of the performance constantly.
    There was a rumour that Apple was left with good quantity of A9 chips that they intended to use for 6s/+. That might be a triggering motivation to use it in the SE (LOL), but I would look for other causes if it's a heating issue.
    03-31-2016 09:34 AM
    Except those doing the intense gaming? And the battery life differences have been documented as well. I'm not sure what you're debating here. There are differences between the two chips. There is no disputing that. You just agreed with it. It's proven. Just because YOU don't care about where those differences lie doesn't mean they aren't there.
    That would be fine if there was a clear consensus after testing. However even technically competent testers can't agree on the results - or at least they understand that although results are different one published write-up (from a site I have known and respected for years) suggests differences in most parameters are not statistically signficant (close to the uncertainty and inherent measurement variation of the test process). Even the popular user-test by "running the battery to discharge" is meaningless, with production batteries typically having at least +/-5% capacity tolerance in acceptance testing, and additional variability in detection of max charge state by the phone's circuit. This debate is more like a bunch of teenage schoolkids trying to explain why a Mercedes F1 car is faster than a Ferrari when they don't even understand how the turbocharger works.
    Sherry_B and lesterquilaman like this.
    03-31-2016 10:46 AM
    TLDR
    iPhone SE chipgate?-beating-dead-horse.jpg
    john_v and lesterquilaman like this.
    03-31-2016 11:16 AM

You don't care and that's great. Honestly, neither do I. As I stated, I have the Samsung chip and I have no desire to go through the gamble of hoping I get a different one by complaining. But I also won't marginalize those who may have been in the group of those having "problems". Or experiencing performance less than what the other chips may have provided.

All I'm saying is that it isn't fair to discredit anyone who may have been affected. And that ideally Apple won't mix manufacturers on parts that can lead to differences in performance in the future.
    The Samsung chip is better in ways as well. It's not all the other one. But any differences are not enough to get excited about. Either way. I got better battery life with my Samsung than did most showing their T whatchumacallit. LOL
    lesterquilaman and scruffypig like this.
    03-31-2016 11:48 AM
    03-31-2016 11:49 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beating a dead horse.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	104490
    I'll never understand why you go through the effort of typing initial responses. When one responds to YOU it's not beating a dead horse. It's responding...you know...to you...

03-31-2016 11:56 AM
    The Samsung chip is better in ways as well. It's not all the other one. But any differences are not enough to get excited about. Either way. I got better battery life with my Samsung than did most showing their T whatchumacallit. LOL
    Like I've said...personally I don't care about the two chips. My experience has been just fine. I'm not arguing that one is ruining phones while the other is a golden chip. I'm simply stating that there are documented differences between the two.
    03-31-2016 11:58 AM
    I'll never understand why you go through the effort of typing initial responses. When one responds to YOU it's not beating a dead horse. It's responding...you know...to you...

Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to. It's just not gonna happen.
    03-31-2016 12:03 PM
    Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to. It's just not gonna happen.
    You literally responded to me. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. Lol. Simply scroll past my comment if you disagree. Responding is essentially welcoming a "debate". If that's not what you're interested in then keep it moving.

Reading my comments shows I wasn't trying to convince. I was stating my opinion. There are differences...hopefully Apple won't mix manufacturers with things like this in the future. My point was rather direct.
    03-31-2016 12:22 PM
    You literally responded to me.
    If you didn't want that, then perhaps public forums aren't for you.

I wasn't trying to convince you of anything.
    And you're free to keep telling yourself that.

Simply scroll past my comment if you disagree. Responding is essentially welcoming a "debate".
    That's what public forums are for; sharing information, asking questions, discussions, debates, and various other types of things. Again, if this is not for you then public forums isn't where you should be.

My point was rather direct.
    And so was the graphic I posted.
    03-31-2016 12:39 PM
    I prefer Doritos honestly.

Edit: Sorry, I approach tension with humor... cheesy or not. !
    03-31-2016 12:51 PM

Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to.
    Hmmm...

That's what public forums are for; sharing information, asking questions, discussions, debates, and various other types of things.
    To "debate" is to "convince"...

If you didn't want that, then perhaps public forums aren't for you.
    The beauty is that your own words essentially prove all I have to say about this.
    03-31-2016 01:02 PM

Chipgate was and is blown way out of proportion, just like this discussion.
    03-31-2016 01:18 PM
    I prefer Doritos honestly.

Edit: Sorry, I approach tension with humor... cheesy or not. !
    I like the really cheesy Doritos.

No tension here. Takes a lot more than a discussion to get me riled up. Both my kids have gone past the teenage sophomoric years, so been there done that and am totally use to it.
    03-31-2016 01:22 PM
    Chipgate was and is blown way out of proportion, just like this discussion.
    Lmao. Of course.
    03-31-2016 01:25 PM
    how so? my iPhone 6S never overheated and easily gave me a 2 days battery life whereas my friend who had the Samsung CPU in his kept getting overheating issues and bad battery life due to that even after his carrier swapped his phone, he got yet another Samsung CPU based iPhone 6S and continued to have the overheating issue.
    The behavior of your firmed's iPhone has nothing to do with the Samsung or TSMC SoC inside.

Everyones experience is unique. What is a fact and has been proven time and time again is that there were differences between the two chips. Small differences, sure. But differences nonetheless. As far as the answer to your question, I don't foresee Apple going the same route. The outcry was pretty loud. I'd imagine they would avoid it if at all possible.

As far as those saying it was "stupid" and "blow out of proportion"...you can't minimize the issues of others just because it worked well for YOU. That's not how problems get solved. As far as I'm concerned if I pay $850 for my phone and my neighbor pays $850 for his phone there should be absolutely NOTHING internally that would result in my phone under performing his by even a fraction. (And it has been proven to have been the case with the differences in chips). It's simply the principle. I pay good money for a company's product, the least that company can do is ensure, based on the hardware used, that their products operate in a similar fashion.

FWIW, despite my disagreement with the whole situation, I've got the Samsung chip in my phone. I haven't experienced any overheating and the phone works just fine for ME. I have NEVER gotten more than a day on my iPhone. Those people getting 2 to 4 days must not be touching their phones, lol. I have no idea have that's possible.
    There are differences from different batches of the same chip (TSMC or Samsung) bigger than the differences from a sample of the same chip taken from a single manufacturer and another from the other.
    03-31-2016 02:14 PM
    Like I've said...personally I don't care about the two chips. My experience has been just fine. I'm not arguing that one is ruining phones while the other is a golden chip. I'm simply stating that there are documented differences between the two.
    Documented ? Hardly ....

Btw the original thread derailed quite a bit. On the iPhone SE most probably we are going to find only TSMC chips.
    03-31-2016 02:21 PM
    If chips from two manufacturers meet Apple's specifications but one slightly outperforms the other, those with the overperforming chip have received a bonus. If you have the other chip, you have not been screwed except by your own mind. Getting what you paid for is not being screwed because someone received slightly more than they paid for.
    03-31-2016 03:21 PM
    We don't need anymore threads to argue chips. It's ridiculous!!
    Yes we do...Tostitos with a Hint of Lime vs. Tostitos Scoops!
    03-31-2016 04:27 PM
    Undisputed and irrelevant. Look at CPU's. Buy 10 from Intel and overclock them as best you can. Each will run reliably at different maximum speed, giving different levels of performance. Gamers do this and FOR THE SAME MONEY they just get the LUCK OF THE DRAW. As long as all units perform to stated levels, nothing is wrong. I know you cannot overclock your phone, the principle is the same though. The same money gets you different things.

You, like Apple, have to live in the real world. If you shackle Apple or others to arbitrary, petty rules like this, progress will become impossible, meeting demand for CPU's being one issue.
    04-01-2016 07:17 AM
77 1234