TouchID 1st generation?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Did I hear in the unboxing video here that the TouchID is 1st generation on the new SE phone? I wonder why - must be a real-estate/packaging issue on the phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it is because when you go onto Apple's website and do a comparison with the iPhone 6S, it clearly states that the 6S has a "second generation fingerprint sensor built into the home button" whereas the iPhone SE has a "fingerprint sensor built into the home button".

Source: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/#mn_p

Brandon Harhi

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed when I heard that. However, the fingerprint sensor is still fast, just not insanely fast. If it helps it keep the low price, I'm fine with it.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Apparently it's quite slow compared to the 6s/6s+
I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6s, so I would not say generation 1 is slow, I would say Gen 1 is perfectly acceptable and Gen 2 is beyond-belief-fast. I don't see an issue with having Gen 1 in the 5e IMHO.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6s, so I would not say generation 1 is slow, I would say Gen 1 is perfectly acceptable and Gen 2 is beyond-belief-fast. I don't see an issue with having Gen 1 in the 5e IMHO.

Having used both 5s and 6s, I completely agree with you. Sometimes I felt the 6s's touch ID was "too fast". I even prefer the 1st generation.
To me, the SE cut out the excess such as brazen fast touch ID and 3D touch etc, keeping where it counts. Very functional device.

mbranscum

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
On the 6S I sometimes touch the button to wake up the phone to see time or notifications. I almost always accidentally unlock the phone which was not my intention. I won't miss that "feature " on the SE.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
On the 6S I sometimes touch the button to wake up the phone to see time or notifications. I almost always accidentally unlock the phone which was not my intention. I won't miss that "feature " on the SE.

Exactly! I had the same problem. Touch ID does not have to be that fast.

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
As a guy that never experienced Touch ID in the first place, I don't mind. At least I still got protection from a friend or girlfriend posting on my Facebook as me. lol Not that this is why I'm getting the phone! I totally want it for Apple Pay! Totally.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Maybe its me, but I've never really ran into major issues with TouchID on my plus or now on my SE. Is it perfect? No, but it works 99% of time, and I'm generally happy with it.

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Having used both 5s and 6s, I completely agree with you. Sometimes I felt the 6s's touch ID was "too fast". I even prefer the 1st generation.
To me, the SE cut out the excess such as brazen fast touch ID and 3D touch etc, keeping where it counts. Very functional device.

Yes I couldn't agree with you more! The SE is Bruce Lee... Use that which works and toss away the excess.

Posted via iPhone SE on T-Mobile

tarastarisme

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
My boyfriend had the 6s and I felt like the 2nd gen was too fast, like click the button to see the time bam the phone is unlocked .. Whoops -- haha - I had an iPhone 6 and now SE and I'm totally fine with the 1st gen

got556

May 4, 2013
Visit site
As a former 6S Plus and 6S owner....the 2nd gen TouchID is WAY too fast. I don't see how people say the first gen is slow. At least it actually allows you to see your home screen. Maybe for 3rd gen whether thru Jailbreak or Apple, they can give us an option on how fast or slow we want the TouchID to go to the home screen and not the notifications. I'm the type of guy that usually wants everything blazing fast and turns off animations and what not, but the notifications on lock screen for 2nd Gen TouchID devices are darn near useless.

ETA: I can't stand 3D touch on the phones or my Macbook. I have no problem with long pressing or two finger bringing up a 2nd menu, but 3D touch, at least for me in its current form is hit or miss too often.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the real fast 3D touch but I am fine with 1st gen. I solve the issue of "too fast" this way on my 6s - if I want to check notifications on the lock screen, I use my index finger on the power button. To get into the phone I just tap the 3D button. Perfect!

Guillin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I was actually glad that the SE had the 1st Gen Touch ID. I used to have the 6s and when I would press the home button just to glance at my notifications, it would log me in. Far too fast.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR