TouchID 1st generation?

aces99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I think it is because when you go onto Apple's website and do a comparison with the iPhone 6S, it clearly states that the 6S has a "second generation fingerprint sensor built into the home button" whereas the iPhone SE has a "fingerprint sensor built into the home button".

Source: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/#mn_p

There both built in the home button. The difference is the 6S has the 2nd gen sensor and the SE has the 1st gen sensor.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I was actually glad that the SE had the 1st Gen Touch ID. I used to have the 6s and when I would press the home button just to glance at my notifications, it would log me in. Far too fast.

Exactly my opinion.
I had a 6s and it was too fast to see the lock screen to check the time.
SE's "1st generation" touch ID is almost like a 2 step exercise. 1st light touch will bring up the lock screen and further touch will unlock it.
If you do not do this first "brief touch", it instantly unlocks the screen, and it's fast enough.
I wonder if Apple did this by choice, not meant for cost saving measure etc. :) I like it this way far better than the 6s's implementation. Since I care less about selfie camera or 3D touch, the SE is really perfect.

dominion1

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I was too worried about the scanner being first gen. But I find it very fast still and just right. It reads almost 100% more importantly. Yes the 6s is almost "too fast"

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have only used the first generation before, so this one is not a problem at all. The only time I run into problems is when the fingerprint sensor is dirty. With a quick wipe, it works again perfectly.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Touch ID speed on SE is about right. 1st gen with A9 processor.

I actually preferred the 1st gen sensor over the 2nd gen sensor on my 6s Plus. I'm constantly unlocking my phone when I don't mean to. I get that I can use another finger to press the home button so it doesn't read my fingerprint but my brain is programmed to use my thumb.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I never used the 1st gen sensor. But I can tell I probably would like it better. But then, I have trained myself to first push the power button if I want to view the lock screen. I've come to prefer the power button rather than a non touch ID finger. They should offer a toggle for a choice between the zippy method and the lock view!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not a flagship phone so it won't get all of the flagship features. Some of them but not all. Just like it didn't get 3D Touch.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I just came from a 6s Plus and actually liked the touch id a little better. Is it a deal breaker? No.

1 gen touch id is just fine for me.

klcrow8690

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
It is the first generation, but unless you are coming from a 6Sor 6S Plus, it is not much of a noticeable difference.

The absence of this has to be a cost issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2