Perfect Kids Phone?

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
We are an all iphone family at this point. I will be ordering 2 of the iPhone SEs as soon as they are announced assuming they are fairly close to what is expected. About the 5's size but with the 6's specs and smoother lines - and really hoping its starts at 449 but can live with 499.

I think people are missing one really useful aspect of this new line - kids generally have smaller hands which makes the form factor of the 5 better than the larger 6 (or my 6s plus). I've had 2 old 5 phones for my kids that they use which need replacing due to the batteries at this point not holding much of a charge beyond a day. I like the idea of a new phone which doesn't cost as much, hoping they can get a step up to 64mb storage for maybe 449, plus 100 for the upgraded memory. I've got to add another line for another kid coming of age (who gets stuck with a hand me down 5), so am also hoping that ATT continues its 2 for 1 deal when you add a line which would be even better.

Bottom line - a less expensive smaller phone makes sense for many people, and for kids, the option of a smaller footprint and a lower price point so I can be slightly less upset when they drop or lose it, has a lot of appeal.

anon(5787457)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This phone will be a big player and not be just a kid phone. Plus, I think kids don't need smartphones, too.

People still seem to look at this phone as something inferior or budget-y just because of it's size. The 4" size is the PERFECT size for a large number of people. Most of these just don't want to get real and be honest to themselves.

But with this new size everyone just become a happy user...

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
We are an all iphone family at this point. I will be ordering 2 of the iPhone SEs as soon as they are announced assuming they are fairly close to what is expected. About the 5's size but with the 6's specs and smoother lines - and really hoping its starts at 449 but can live with 499.

I think people are missing one really useful aspect of this new line - kids generally have smaller hands which makes the form factor of the 5 better than the larger 6 (or my 6s plus). I've had 2 old 5 phones for my kids that they use which need replacing due to the batteries at this point not holding much of a charge beyond a day. I like the idea of a new phone which doesn't cost as much, hoping they can get a step up to 64mb storage for maybe 449, plus 100 for the upgraded memory. I've got to add another line for another kid coming of age (who gets stuck with a hand me down 5), so am also hoping that ATT continues its 2 for 1 deal when you add a line which would be even better.

Bottom line - a less expensive smaller phone makes sense for many people, and for kids, the option of a smaller footprint and a lower price point so I can be slightly less upset when they drop or lose it, has a lot of appeal.

I can't agree with you more. My boys both have the 5s and this will most likely be the next phone I buy them.

I'm still trying to see why kids under 18 need a smartphone. They can use a flip phone or just a regular cellphone.

Obviously you are not a parent. My boys have had iPhones since they were 12 years old. Why do they need smartphones? Well it has allowed me as a parent to stay in contact with my children. I like to know where my children are. If you are a parent then you would understand the concerns of parent in today's world. I trust my children exclusively, but being able to message and send things back and forth has been great. My parents were not given this opportunity as the technology was not there when I was a kid. Shame because they missed out on some things when I was growing up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Obviously you are not a parent. My boys have had iPhones since they were 12 years old. Why do they need smartphones? Well it has allowed me as a parent to stay in contact with my children. I like to know where my children are. If you are a parent then you would understand the concerns of parent in today's world. I trust my children exclusively, but being able to message and send things back and forth has been great. My parents were not given this opportunity as the technology was not there when I was a kid. Shame because they missed out on some things when I was growing up.

'Nuf said...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP in that the size of the 4 inch iPhone fits well with kids. My 10 year old has an iPhone 5S and had an iPhone 5 before that and he can manipulate the device quite well. Like me, he doesn't have it in a case and there's not a scratch on it. Anyway, if he somehow breaks his current iPhone, I'll replace it with an iPhone SE, but until then, his iPhone 5S is more than sufficient.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can't agree with you more. My boys both have the 5s and this will most likely be the next phone I buy them.

You're still proving that they don't need a smartphone, a normal cellphone would still serve the same purpouse. But that's all I will say ~

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
This phone will be a big player and not be just a kid phone. Plus, I think kids don't need smartphones, too.

People still seem to look at this phone as something inferior or budget-y just because of it's size. The 4" size is the PERFECT size for a large number of people. Most of these just don't want to get real and be honest to themselves.

But with this new size everyone just become a happy user...
I agree.
I am looking forward to it. Finally, a 4" size iPhone with Band 12 support! Sign me up! I recently got the 5s and I have been enjoying it, but since Band 12 for T-Mobile has been rolled out in my area (state really), coverage has improved. If I wanted that now, I would have to go with the 6s to have it. WiFi calling kind of makes up for it inside buildings. I just miss the band. lol.

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
You're still proving that they don't need a smartphone, a normal cellphone would still serve the same purpouse. But that's all I will say ~

We struggled with the right age and time for a kid to have a phone, and whether a smart phone makes sense. I find the ability to use Find my Iphone and see where they are at all times really useful. I enjoy facetiming them whenever I need to especially when away, and the ability to text at any time is pretty valuable to me. Plus they enjoy them as gaming, music, reading devices. I get that they are expensive toys in some sense - which is why they get hand me downs or used prior gen devices. I think that in a typical 6th grade class, you would see at least half the students have smart phones today - although that info is solely based on my experience and I respect that differences exist outside my little world - with 90+% of that being an iphone. It definitely seems to me that the younger the user, the more likely they are to have an iphone over an android device.

If smartphones for kids are not for you, then I respect that. But if they are, seems like the new one is perfect for their needs.

cphd

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I feel like the smartphone => iPhone is more of an american thing, at least where I live you can see as many people run around with Samsung phones.
While I agree that kids (under 15 or so) don't need a smartphone I would rather get them some cheap Android or second-hand phones. Simply because I know 12 year old people, and I would definitely not spend more than ~200 on a phone for them.

No considering the small hands thing: of course better for children, no doubt about that. But also better for about half the population (imo), considering the phone related struggles I witness on my daily commute, so the SE is no kids phone for me.

Summary: better for kids than a "fullsize" iPhone, but definitely not the perfect kids phone

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

You've got a good point. But schools in my area have a lot for kids online and my kids actually use their iPhones in some classes for supplemental materials. I'm not a fan of that, but it has come in handy.

I agree that the smaller form factor is better for kids. Smaller price tags as well. My kids are not careful with their phones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
An iPhone 5s seems more suited for kids under 15 than the new SE. Mostly because of price. The SE doesn't add that much more, according to rumors. So, for a kid, $99 is much better than $450.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a low budget phone unless the kids know to take care of the device u buy them. My mother bough my little brother a phone & within a month it was shattered & the metal band around the phone was bent. What I'm saying is some kids don't really take care of their belongings.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
An iPhone 5s seems more suited for kids under 15 than the new SE. Mostly because of price. The SE doesn't add that much more, according to rumors. So, for a kid, $99 is much better than $450.

My kids have the 5s. I bought them used. They'll upgrade to the 5se when they go down in price. It'll still be new to them. :)

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to see why kids under 18 need a smartphone. They can use a flip phone or just a regular cellphone.

I might go a step further. Child safety should be first and foremost. Young children do not require, nor should they be encouraged to access social networks at home or mobile.

A used device [per your examples] not assigned to any carrier can still call 911 [in north america]. That should be sufficient.

Why oh why would any responsible parent give their young child an all out smartphone?
?\_(ツ)_/?

In my opinion the SE may be an attempt by Apple to market devices for young people through their parents, who are the cash source. Just as McDonalds does very successfully.

Maybe an SE marketing slogan could be "made by children, for children":tongue:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice